Author Topic: My Super Nintendo 2 (Slim) Erases my save files :[  (Read 3935 times)

ziondood

My Super Nintendo 2 (Slim) Erases my save files :[
« on: July 07, 2012, 12:29:11 am »
Alright so I need to get down to the bottom of this.
I noticed this a few months back that when I slightly bump my SNES 2 it will freeze up on me.
Sometimes when this happens it erases save files from the game I happen to be playing :[
It has erased the top file from FF 3 (VI) & DKC 2. I just beat Bramble Scramble too :[

Does anyone know if the SNES 2 had a problem with doing that? I've never had a problem with that in the past with my original snes.

jobocan

Re: My Super Nintendo 2 (Slim) Erases my save files :[
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:02:16 am »
I've never heard about this... Maybe it's not the SNES 2, but rather the battery in the game cartridges that need to be replaced.

ziondood

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:05:40 am »
But It only seems to happen when I bump the system, and it happens on multiple games :/ thats the only thing that makes me doubt that idea :[

ffxik

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 03:17:03 am »
Your contacts in the system are not connecting solidly with the cart contacts, that is why when it gets bumped it freezes up.  Which is detrimental to save files on your carts.  You either need to clean the systems contacts and/or adjust them to restore the solid connection with your system.  The contacts in systems tend to be copper since it conducts well and is cheap.  They are formed in a curve to create a type of spring, something that will flex easily.  Copper is a soft metal and loses it's shape fairly easily.  So after the years they lose their ability to grip well.  Causing the problems mentioned above.   Hope that helps a little.    :D

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:19:24 am by ffxik »

scott

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 09:14:14 am »
Your contacts in the system are not connecting solidly with the cart contacts, that is why when it gets bumped it freezes up.  Which is detrimental to save files on your carts.  You either need to clean the systems contacts and/or adjust them to restore the solid connection with your system.  The contacts in systems tend to be copper since it conducts well and is cheap.  They are formed in a curve to create a type of spring, something that will flex easily.  Copper is a soft metal and loses it's shape fairly easily.  So after the years they lose their ability to grip well.  Causing the problems mentioned above.   Hope that helps a little.    :D

This. Same thing was happening with my Gen 1 NES and after I bought new contacts for it, it works like a charm. Not sure you can easily replace the contacts on a model 2 SNES, but it may be worth looking into.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

ziondood

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 07:16:21 pm »
Alright thanks!!! :D  What do you recommend I clean the contacts with exactly? Or how would I go about fixing them if that doesnt do the trick? I've never really dealt much with repairing my systems before :p

scott

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 07:32:19 pm »
I clean all my news carts with Windex, works like a charm and isn't as harsh as rubbing alcohol.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

ffxik

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 08:49:53 pm »
Cleaning game contacts is easy, system contacts on the on other hand.  You can buy a cleaner from ebay but it runs about $10 for a bottle.  Search around the web until you find something that sounds good to you.  I do not condone the use of sand paper.  Good chance it will screw the contacts up.  Some people used a cloth wrapped tightly over a credit card, again not a good idea.   I read somewhere that someone used a thick art paper, I think it was on thecoverproject.net. 

You could change the contact carriage if your soldering skills are quite good.

Adjusting them to increase the grip is quite tricky.  Usually it involves a small precision screwdriver, and applying a minor amount of downward pressure at the top to the contact arch.  However too much pressure and you risk screwing it up, so it has to be done slowly and methodically.

As far as carts go I use Isopropyl Alcohol in a pinch.  Windex works good to, but I look at it like this.

50% Isopropyl Is 50/50 purified water/alcohol

Windex is: Water, Isopropyl Alcohol, Glycol Ether, Artificial Fragrance/Color, god knows what else.  I can always cut the alcohol i use with more water if I believe it to be too harsh, and skip the rest of the stuff in Windex.

Normally I just dis-assemble the cart and use a jewelers cloth meant for removing tarnish from rare fine metals.  They work great, buffs them to a shine while the cloth has a chemical in it to retard future corrosion.  They tend to be on the pricey side though.

ziondood

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 10:45:33 pm »
I figured out the reason why was because the cartridge wasn't staying tight to the system. So i ended up putting some small pieces of foam behind the doors and that seems to keep the cartridge tight in place :]
I talked to one of my co-workers today and he said that he always noticed that problem with the type 2 SNES.
So it seems that my connector is just fine!! :D
Thanks for all the help guys :D

psydswipe

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 12:16:32 pm »
I'm not sure if this is related but the original Sega Genesis required occasional cleaning of the contacts on the port that connected to the original Sega CD. Sega said to use a pencil eraser so that's what I've always done. Maybe that would work for all copper contacts since I'm assuming that's what the first Genesis has as well. That might be difficult to use on a cartridge slot , but it should be good for games.

ffxik

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 01:57:32 am »
I figured out the reason why was because the cartridge wasn't staying tight to the system. So i ended up putting some small pieces of foam behind the doors and that seems to keep the cartridge tight in place :]
I talked to one of my co-workers today and he said that he always noticed that problem with the type 2 SNES.
So it seems that my connector is just fine!! :D
Thanks for all the help guys :D

Loose connection.  That's pretty much what I thought.  You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of help.   ;)  Heck, we all are, am I right.  :D

I'm not sure if this is related but the original Sega Genesis required occasional cleaning of the contacts on the port that connected to the original Sega CD. Sega said to use a pencil eraser so that's what I've always done. Maybe that would work for all copper contacts since I'm assuming that's what the first Genesis has as well. That might be difficult to use on a cartridge slot , but it should be good for games.

I'm not a fan of the eraser method either, but everyone has their own methods.  :)  Difficult to use on a cartridge slot, better yet don't even attempt it.  The cartridge slot contacts are very delicate, they bend and can be moved around very easily.  One wrong move and your system is shot.