Author Topic: Plastic Polish  (Read 4617 times)

byron

Plastic Polish
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:26:14 am »
Has anyone ever used Novus plastic polish? I'm considering getting some to try and remove the teeny scratches on the screens of my handhelds and I'd like to hear from someone who's tried it before I ruin my Game Boys.

If it has any other uses, like restoring beat-up cartridges, I'd like to find that out as well.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Plastic Polish
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:31:30 pm »
Haven't tried it personally, but I'd also be interested to hear results from anyone who has...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 09:19:14 am »
If it works well, I wouldn't mind trying it on my spare Game Boy Micro screen cover.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:12:24 am »
On the topic of cleaning consoles/systems/games...does/has anybody here tried/used 'compressed-air' for anything?

Been thinking about hitting the (more often used & dustier) PS3 of mine...

htimreimer

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:35:42 am »
On the topic of cleaning consoles/systems/games...does/has anybody here tried/used 'compressed-air' for anything?

compressed air is good for cleaning fans and removing dust that is not stuck or sticking on anything  so go ahead and use it on you ps3

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 10:40:36 am »

compressed air is good for cleaning fans and removing dust that is not stuck or sticking on anything  so go ahead and use it on you ps3

Thanks!

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 10:43:22 am »

Thanks!
your welcome

soera

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 11:55:53 am »
I would pick some sort of vaccuum over something that blows the air inside. Obvious reasons of course. Unless you plan on taking the top off to do it, you are just going to push some of the dust further in.

byron

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 04:18:55 pm »
I went and got a bottle of the #2 polish and tested it thoroughly:
  • The first thing I did was try to polish a CD with it since the bottle lists that as one of its recommended uses. I tried it on a CD with a few fine scratches and an overall haze from being put through one of those CD Doctor things. Some of the haze did go away, but that was about it. It didn't do anything that would improve the performance of the disc at all.
  • Next I tried it on a Game Boy screen with horrifying results:

No scratches were removed, but the polish did leave behind an awful haze which I have circled in red. Do not use this stuff on Game boy screens; they are evidently made of a plastic which the polish will destroy.
  • I then tried it on a number of other things from cartridges to systems with no visible results at all. The only helpful thing it did was free up the sticky buttons on my Super Advantage controller, but I can't say for sure that the effects are permanent.

I have concluded that this stuff probably has some use to somebody, but since it is only effective on hard acrylic plastics (which no video game system or cartridge I know of is made from) and destroys Game Boy screens (its best potential use for us) it is useless to video game collectors wishing to restore their stuff.

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 06:34:14 pm »
I use PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish and it is amazing stuff. It will never cause a haze effect, and even if something is pretty clear looking already, give it a coat of this and buff off and it will feel smoother than glass. I polish each of my Sega Saturn/CD cases with it and I've always had impressive results. I won't claim that it can take deep scratched out, but I guess not much will if it's really deep.
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

matt

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 09:18:49 am »
Has anyone ever used Novus plastic polish? I'm considering getting some to try and remove the teeny scratches on the screens of my handhelds and I'd like to hear from someone who's tried it before I ruin my Game Boys.

If it has any other uses, like restoring beat-up cartridges, I'd like to find that out as well.

I've used it on the lexan panel on my old MAME cabinet. It's worked...okay. You really have to put in a lot of work to make it perfect. At first I was horrified by the results because the lower grit polish scratches the hell outta stuff. You just have to be patient and work your way down from there.