Author Topic: Road Tripping!  (Read 993 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Road Tripping!
« on: August 09, 2012, 10:41:56 am »
What's the furthest you've traveled for your collecting?  The next town over?  2 hours?  6 hours? 

The reason I ask is I'm trying to find time to drive 3 hours away to buy a R.O.B. CIB for $40.  It's a heck of a deal, I just have to get over there to get it. 

How far are you willing to drive?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:17:50 pm by turf »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Road Tripping!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 11:14:46 am »
A couple of years back, when the prices of FF VII had sky-rocketed for awhile, I found *ONE* person who had it for sale on Craig's List.

He was asking around $50 for it (minty & cib) and also had the PSX version of Star Ocean: The 2nd Story (also minty & cib); which he was asking about $30 for.  At the time, these were both pretty decent prices.

He was, however, in PA (while I'm "next-door", in N.J.)

After Map-questing it I figured that it would:

A).  Be 3.5 - 4 hours round-trip,
B).  Cost ~$15 in tolls round-trip, and
C).  burn about 1/2 of a tank of gas (~$25.00) round-trip.

Luckily, During our last time talking on the phone before my leaving, I explained to him how much it would end up costing me just to GET THERE to be able to buy the 2 games...and (I guess that he'd been trying to sell them for awhile:)...he said that he'd sell me both games for $30.00!!!

So, even though, altogether, I wound up investing a total of $70 for the 2 games -considering what they were both selling for at the time- I felt that it was still worth the travel time & effort.

Pretty sure that's my "longest-distance" drive to find/buy any games...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:47:25 pm »
Technically? Louisville, Tennessee. I was visiting my sisters up in Lenoir City and we went to this huge flea market in Louisville, there was this one guy with tons and tons of old computer stuff and I grabbed a couple of older PC games from there. One of 'em was Capcom Arcade Hits, which... well, sucked, but it was a neat find. :P

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 01:50:45 pm »
I try to plan ahead and at least make a stop or two when I'm out of state to check out retro game stores.  I've driven about 5 hours (one way) just to look at a new shop.  But I'm not married and don't have children, so I'll grab a friend and make a day of it.  Good times!

soera

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:40:25 pm »
I have went on a trip with the other founders of the OKRGS to Tulsa for an all day game shop. But other than that, the only thing out of my central area I buy is stuff online so it doesnt count.

jcalder8

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 09:55:44 pm »
I once setup a deal that required my parents to pick it up for me and they held it until I move to the same city as them. They were about 13 hours away so I orchestrated a deal from that far away even if I didn't have to drive it

scott

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 11:26:50 am »
Furthest I've gone was last Summer for a games show in Ohio, I live in Mid-Michigan and this was in Cleveland. Ended up walking out of there with a fairly good amount of Saturn games too, I passed up a few other things while I was there though. It was fun, but really small and cramped. I would have picked up even more of the Saturn stuff people had, but a lot of it was shoved in boxes and I didn't feel like sitting on the floor while shuffling through them. One guy had games mixed together, wrong discs with wrong boxes, or the manual for one in the box for another, it was a mess. I found some excellent deals though.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread