Author Topic: DLC  (Read 1909 times)

DLC
« on: April 29, 2011, 07:07:26 am »
DLC section for games especially 360 and PS3.

matt

Re: DLC
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:02:15 am »
Are you interested in listing each and every little download? We've had some discussion about this but haven't made a final decision. Right now we have sections for XBLA and PSN. PSN still needs to be broken down between PSP and PS3.

I'm not opposed to listing individual DLC as long as people will use them. My concern is that:

1) they aren't actual game or physical media but I guess listing XBLA, PSN and WiiWare games kinda defeats that.
2) there is a lot of small little random pieces of DLC. ie. Rock Band song packs, map packs, clothes, etc.

Let's discuss.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:35:20 pm »
actually i'm not suggesting listing DLC in the same manner as individual games but instead listing it under the games it's related to

as for small random pieces, i think it's unnecessary, what matters is DLC with substantial or "real" content (mini-expansion packs) or DLC that matters to a certain genre of games (new fighters for fighting games etc)

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 05:10:09 pm »
Yeah, I too feel they should be in a subset under the original game, at MOST...  I can't think of a good way to implement this across the board, because most games don't have DLC.  To me DLC is about as consequential as a manual or poster.  Listing it in notes doesn't seem quite right, but giving it its own status along with a game seems kind off too.  hm...

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 10:32:31 pm »
I've been reading this thread, and I thought of a way you guys could deal with DLC.

For this example, I'll be using Borderlands for PC (this would also apply to XBox 360 and PS3.)

The idea is that Borderlands would be added as a regular entry, but DLC packs would be added as a sub-entry for the game. So, let's say someone adds the main Borderlands game to their collection. Once that is done, a window could be shown on the screen, which says "This game has these DLC packs available. Would you like to add the ones you own?" The user would then choose to do so or leave it for later. If someone searches for a particular DLC on the site, the normal stats would be shown, along with info saying that this item is an expansion of X game (with the appropriate cover artwork if available.) Ideally, a user -would not be allowed- to add these DLC packs to their collection if they don't own the base game.

Also, a user could be given the option to count DLC as single game entries or to just ignore them in their total game count.

Note that to me, a "valid" DLC entry would be something that gives a substantial addition to the game. Character packs may count... but music game song packs would not, I suppose.)

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 08:46:37 am »
Ah foxhack, that is what i have in mind, u did a far better job at explaining and improving it at the same time

A "valid" DLC entry is subject to the game in question, for example:
song/music packs for Project Diva, Rock Band etc..
characters for Blazblue, Street Fighter IV etc..
stages/zones/areas for Assassin's Creed, Borderlands etc..

Examples of "invalid" DLC entry will be:
alternate characters color palette for Blazblue
weapons pack for Cross Edge, Trinity Universe etc..
codes/cheats to unlock items that are attainable in-game through effort (Blazblue again)

Though i can see why DLC is a little hard to deal with...
1)we add every DLC and we got plenty of unnecessary entries that no one cares about
2)ditch the feature and some perfectionists will ask for it
3)we spent time debating what is valid or invalid

Personally I would prefer to have this feature due to DLC for games like Assassin's Creed and Borderlands as it adds more to the backstory which amounts to an expansion pack albeit a mini-one compared to the traditional PC expansion packs

matt

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 11:30:53 am »
Thanks guys for the detailed suggestions. @scott and I will work up some text for the style guide which will help determine what is proper and what isn't. I agree that it is needed, regardless of the fact that a lot of users won't index their DLC.

This weekend I'll get a DLC section created. For the time being it'll be it's own unique section with unique listings not linked to their "master games." This functionality will come at a later date as it'll take some time to write the code to accommodate this. I'll post an update once the section is created and ready for submissions.

If anyone else has any thoughts on the matter, please chime in and let us know. Thanks!

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 02:18:28 pm »
I suggested something similar to my proposal to the MobyGames admins several years ago (but like many other things I suggested or simply asked for, it was ignored.) So I've had several years to figure this out.

Glad to see my suggestion be taken seriously. :)

tpugmire

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 04:28:51 pm »
I think we have a big advantage over bigger sites like mobygames, because we are smaller and Matt is awesome about accomodating requests.  Some other sites have people in charge that think that their ideas are better than anyone elses, consequently good ideas are often ignored.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 05:23:33 pm »
I wasn't criticizing the MG admins directly. I stopped volunteering as an approver, and eventually left because I became frustrated with them (and their silence regarding the GameFly acquisition)... they have an awesome encyclopedia, but man, the site is just not very good at actually managing and listing your game collection.

Plus I get a sig banner here. I'm happy with that. :p

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 10:54:37 am »
Kind of related, I suppose...  I was curious about the DLC issue when I joined and tried to search the forums for "DLC," yet nothing showed up.  Of course, this thread titled "DLC" and posts containing DLC are right here above this comment, but it did not show up in the search.  Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Hm, "downloadable content" worked, I guess... *before* I added this edit.  Confused!  (not written anywhere else, right?)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas