Author Topic: To add...or not to add; that is the question  (Read 1841 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

To add...or not to add; that is the question
« on: September 01, 2012, 11:31:51 am »
I know that it seems like many video-gamers also enjoy anime.

Usually, it's easy enough to differentiate "anime" from "games" when categorizing/listing your items.

But...how about "Video-Game Animes"?

Some examples (of mine) would be like Disgaea, Persona, .Hack, and Wild Arms animes.

What do the rest of you think?

(I'm thinking of just adding them as swag); but I still wanted to know how the rest of you handle these things...

Thanks!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jcalder8

Re: To add...or not to add; that is the question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:34:24 am »
For me, unless it was something that was only released with the video game I wouldn't add it. If it was a pre-order bonus then I would or if it was a pack in item.

matt

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:36:51 am »
For me, unless it was something that was only released with the video game I wouldn't add it. If it was a pre-order bonus then I would or if it was a pack in item.

I agree with this. If you loosen the rules, that'd really open the flood gates.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 12:25:31 pm »
Sounds about right!

I was already starting to think about including things like my Disgaea Manga, etc, too :)

It is the start of a 'Slippery Slope' :P

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 01:59:05 pm »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 02:19:45 pm »
... I vote that we should. Sorry, but it's related.
No reason for "sorry"...We could just keep it easy & simple by simply *not* having a set "Rule" for this.
In other words, for the people who want to/feel like they should be added; they're free to add them as "swag"...while those who don't want to/feel like they shouldn't be added...can simply not add them.
And I thought we already had this discussion before...
Hah!

Good memory :)

That would explain the sense of deja-vou I felt while typing the topic :P

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 03:23:18 pm »
Here is where I come from. This is a "Video Game Database and Collection Management System" and that is what we need to stay focused on. It is for video games, if we start to grey that line then when does it end?

Pokemon cards? - they have a lot more to do with video games than FF The Spirits Within - I guess we should add all of them
Warhammer toys? - they have made games with the Warhammer franchise - We should add those in too
Mario shirt from Wal-Mart? - With how weak the other examples are I don't really need to explain this one - So we can add these in also

Now we have gone from trying to build a great database of video games to just add anything that may ever have had a video game attached to it.

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 04:04:43 pm »

Warhammer toys do not count solely because they weren't created as a tie-in to the video games! Warhammer began as a board game, so the only things that would count for the purposes of this database would be any promotional materials directly related to the games, if any. Is there a Warhammer figurine of the main guy from Space Marine, and it was released to promote the game? Then it can be added as swag.

In regards to Pokemon cards - and other card games that were turned into video games, such as Magic The Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh - if they were released as promotional tie-in material for video games, they should be allowed in the database. But only those, if any.

Apparel... well... I wouldn't know. I don't like to wear stuff with designs in 'em. :P

The point was, I think, that if the item was created to promote a video game, or if it was based on a video game, then it should be allowed. But there should be some big exceptions. Pokemon cards is the biggest one I can think of. Despite being based on a video game, it has thousands of cards available with several regional and language variants. There are many Pokemon collection databases out there. We shouldn't really be listing them unless they were promos.

I guess. I dunno. Rawr.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 04:06:46 pm by foxhack »

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 06:09:44 pm »
The point was, I think, that if the item was created to promote a video game, or if it was based on a video game, then it should be allowed.....
 There are many Pokemon collection databases out there. We shouldn't really be listing them unless they were promos.

I guess. I dunno. Rawr.

This is my point, I don't think the FF movies were used to promote a game. If it retold the story of FF VI or something then it could be different, but not in my books.

Also, like you said there are lots of Pokemon collector sites out there and there are even more DVD/Blu-Ray sites, if you want to track movies there are lots of options, in fact I have used them.

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 08:18:12 pm »
They were based on the games though. :P Sorta! Kinda!

jcalder8

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 10:08:38 pm »
They were based on the games though. :P Sorta! Kinda!
I will give you sorta but I bet more people play Pokemon games because of the cards than people play Final Fantasy because of the movies :P :D

foxhack

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 11:11:18 pm »
Curse your logic! CURSE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

(And now you know why seven seasons of Law and Order are not a good substitute for law school.)

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 11:37:35 pm »
I'm a little lost I kinda thought this was vgcollect not icdb (internet collection data base). I do see video game swag from time to time like a Mario backpack, Nintendo power, Xbox sign etc. But I personally don't like the thought of adding anime or tie ins. Are we going to add street fighter with jcvd the movie on DVD because its based on a video game? I realize that if I don't like it I just don't have to add the box set of dragon ball z because there's video games and that's cool if you want to. Either way but like the people stated if u let tie ins its going to open flood gates from art books that comes with collectors editions, behind the scenes DVD like the halo all the way to preorder pins/ key chains like darksiders II or lollipop chain saw. Just because something has the word Nintendo in it a video game it doesn't make. Although I would like to see a sub category for games with dlc with the names of the map packs bonus items etc. Like Skyrims dlc 1600 or $19.99 that's a game in itself. Not trying to hate on anyone again if you guys want to again I just don't have to add it :)