Author Topic: Gamer Metalheads  (Read 51396 times)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: Gamer Metalheads
« Reply #390 on: November 02, 2014, 12:37:15 am »
Holy shit, apparently Wayne Static of Static-X just died.

« Reply #391 on: November 02, 2014, 01:11:05 am »

Never was a fan of Static-X myself, but always sucks to see someone in the metal world go before they should, especially since it might turn out to be drug related, something that took David Brockie of Gwar from us earlier this year.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #392 on: November 18, 2014, 11:44:05 pm »

I saw this. Crazy. The article also mentioned he was 48! I didn't realize he was so old. I'm 31, and when I was a teenager and Static-X was new, I was sure he was in his early 20s, apparently not.

« Reply #393 on: November 23, 2014, 10:16:02 am »
Used to be into Death/Thrash Metal a lot. Now mostly into Doom/Sludge/Stoner Rock.

Monolord>all

pacpix

« Reply #394 on: November 23, 2014, 04:47:11 pm »
Used to be into Death/Thrash Metal a lot. Now mostly into Doom/Sludge/Stoner Rock.

Monolord>all

I made a similar transition, I went from Thrash, Groove, and Death-Thrash to Gothic/Death/Traditional Doom.  I kind of stumbled into the Doom genre when I was looking for Death metal without gore lyrics.  What are some of your favorite bands?
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #395 on: November 26, 2014, 04:19:25 am »
Well shit...Shawn Drover and Chris Broderick just left Megadeth.  With the new album going into production in January and both basically doing it in the same day and Broderick's message talking about creative differences, my guess is that neither one was getting much input into the next album and decided to leave. 

Super disappointing to see another lineup change in a band that has had many of them.  Mustaine has always been the driving force of the band, that's not surprising, but I'm curious after Super Collider, if they wanted to see more metal or even just more thrash brought back into the music and Mustaine isn't wanting that, wanting to continue what Super Collider did or even further in the direction.  That would really suck for me personally if that is what happened.  Super Collider was a big disappoint in terms of writing, with way too much rock and rather slow stuff going on.  It was feeling more of like what Cryptic Writings was before they dove into Risk, which is a terrible Megadeth album.  I was actually getting excited for the album because I heard Mustaine was sorta saying this would be a "shut up" kind of album to sorta appease the metalheads, but maybe it won't be that...Perhaps they left cause they just weren't getting any input at all, even with things going in the metal direction.

Anyways, here's one of the few songs of the past three albums that features the other band members in the writing credits, this one in particular being a big push for Drover, even from Mustaine when it was put out and I believe got them the Grammy Nomination for that year.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #396 on: November 26, 2014, 12:05:56 pm »
Well shit...Shawn Drover and Chris Broderick just left Megadeth.  With the new album going into production in January and both basically doing it in the same day and Broderick's message talking about creative differences, my guess is that neither one was getting much input into the next album and decided to leave. 

Super disappointing to see another lineup change in a band that has had many of them.  Mustaine has always been the driving force of the band, that's not surprising, but I'm curious after Super Collider, if they wanted to see more metal or even just more thrash brought back into the music and Mustaine isn't wanting that, wanting to continue what Super Collider did or even further in the direction.  That would really suck for me personally if that is what happened.  Super Collider was a big disappoint in terms of writing, with way too much rock and rather slow stuff going on.  It was feeling more of like what Cryptic Writings was before they dove into Risk, which is a terrible Megadeth album.  I was actually getting excited for the album because I heard Mustaine was sorta saying this would be a "shut up" kind of album to sorta appease the metalheads, but maybe it won't be that...Perhaps they left cause they just weren't getting any input at all, even with things going in the metal direction.

Anyways, here's one of the few songs of the past three albums that features the other band members in the writing credits, this one in particular being a big push for Drover, even from Mustaine when it was put out and I believe got them the Grammy Nomination for that year.

No big surprise to me. It's always been Dave's band, and it's always had a rotating line-up of musicians. But to his credit, that revolving line-up has always featured excellent metal musicians.

« Reply #397 on: November 26, 2014, 03:23:23 pm »
No big surprise to me. It's always been Dave's band, and it's always had a rotating line-up of musicians. But to his credit, that revolving line-up has always featured excellent metal musicians.

Sure, not surprising, but this had been a stable lineup for about 7 years now which is impressive in Megadeth terms.  Just when the album is coming up in a month to be worked on and both the drummer and lead guitarist leave the band over creative differences, it puts into question what the new album might be like or if Dave was simply not interested in their ideas for the album. 

I'm curious if they will hurry to hire someone before the album production starts to get them on the album, or Dave goes back to what he did on The System Has Failed and gets session musicians, maybe some guest spots, for the album and then works on hiring afterwords before touring starts.

Bwigdahl

« Reply #398 on: December 24, 2014, 12:47:57 am »
So after doing some digging I stumbled upon a band that I wish I knew about earlier. Kylesa. Anyone here know/like them? I need more stuff like this...

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #399 on: December 24, 2014, 12:57:07 am »
My future wife: Maria Brink from In This Moment

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #400 on: December 24, 2014, 01:38:23 am »
Yes please!

« Reply #401 on: December 28, 2014, 11:08:45 pm »
SLAYERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

pacpix

« Reply #402 on: December 29, 2014, 02:15:38 am »
SLAYERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
\m/ Slayer is awesome \m/
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #403 on: December 29, 2014, 02:21:00 am »
SLAYER!

« Reply #404 on: January 14, 2015, 05:45:44 pm »
Ever thought St. Anger sounded like garbage? Of course you do, that's a fact! But apparently two musicians and a singer took it upon themselves to re-record the entire St. Anger album and released something REALLY good.  It's still not a great Metallica album, but man is it actually listenable and enjoyable with some proper production.  These guys did it on a very tight budget and limited time span and produced something far better sounding than either of Metallica's newest over-produced disasters.