Author Topic: Gamer Metalheads  (Read 51483 times)

retroone

Re: Gamer Metalheads
« Reply #405 on: January 14, 2015, 07:14:42 pm »
Ever thought St. Anger sounded like garbage? Of course you do, that's a fact! But apparently two musicians and a singer took it upon themselves to re-record the entire St. Anger album and released something REALLY good.  It's still not a great Metallica album, but man is it actually listenable and enjoyable with some proper production.  These guys did it on a very tight budget and limited time span and produced something far better sounding than either of Metallica's newest over-produced disasters.

I REALLY loved St.Anger. It was the first Metallica Album I owned. This "re-make" makes St. Anger makes it even better than it was originally produced!

« Reply #406 on: January 15, 2015, 12:19:06 am »
I REALLY loved St.Anger. It was the first Metallica Album I owned. This "re-make" makes St. Anger makes it even better than it was originally produced!

St. Anger was just one of the worst produced albums I had listened to at the time lol I did like a song or two on it, but the god awful production kept it ruined and ruined hard.  I don't think it's a great album, especially by Metallica standards, but this re-recording makes it sound like something rather good for the most part.  I still think stuff drags too much and the lack of solo's helps add to that dragging, but I listened through that entirely and enjoyed it far better than any listen I had of the original.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #407 on: January 15, 2015, 12:04:04 pm »
^ Seriously.

Remember those toy Fisher-Price tape-recorders you could get in the 80s and early 90s? It totally sounds like they used one of those to record the album. And the drums, what's with those damn tin-can drums?

Besides the production value, I just couldn't stand the incredibly repetitive song-writing on that album. When before, you could listen to Metallica album 50 times over and still find depth and new nuances in songs you didn't notice before.

« Reply #408 on: January 15, 2015, 03:10:07 pm »
^ Seriously.

Remember those toy Fisher-Price tape-recorders you could get in the 80s and early 90s? It totally sounds like they used one of those to record the album. And the drums, what's with those damn tin-can drums?

Besides the production value, I just couldn't stand the incredibly repetitive song-writing on that album. When before, you could listen to Metallica album 50 times over and still find depth and new nuances in songs you didn't notice before.

Yeah besides production, that's the problem with Metallica's songs today with St. Anger and Death Magnetic, of which I still generally liked Death Magnetic.  They make songs too long for the sake of being long.  Back in the day, they did long songs because they had great riffs and solo's to fill everything up and you were engaged the entire time with the likes of Call of Ktulu and Orion.  Kirk can't solo anymore and the riffs aren't as good, so it just gets abit boring.  It's why I'm hoping with the new album they clean themselves up in both the production and writing.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #409 on: July 28, 2020, 11:30:19 am »
Holy shit, apparently Wayne Static of Static-X just died.

I saw this new album coming out by them, and remembered hearing about Wayne Static's death here. So I thought I'd share about the new album, here.

The new album is called Project Regeneration:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Regeneration_Vol._1

Apparently they uncovered a bunch of tracks and various songs Wayne Static had been working on and much of it has isolated voice tracks, even. So they are able to put together some full songs, and are using guest-vocalists where they can't. Sounds interesting. I'm honestly not the biggest Static-X fan (though I don't hate them, either), so I haven't heard any of it, yet. It was released this month.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #410 on: July 28, 2020, 12:36:56 pm »
Holy shit, apparently Wayne Static of Static-X just died.

I saw this new album coming out by them, and remembered hearing about Wayne Static's death here. So I thought I'd share about the new album, here.

The new album is called Project Regeneration:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Regeneration_Vol._1

Apparently they uncovered a bunch of tracks and various songs Wayne Static had been working on and much of it has isolated voice tracks, even. So they are able to put together some full songs, and are using guest-vocalists where they can't. Sounds interesting. I'm honestly not the biggest Static-X fan (though I don't hate them, either), so I haven't heard any of it, yet. It was released this month.

yeah I ended up buying that album, it sounds like Static-X. Overall from what I've seen, fans seem to like how they've been honoring Wayne's memory.