Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1670918 times)

gf78

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #10065 on: March 17, 2016, 02:18:03 pm »
It's just mind boggling that rare plastic and cardboard is worth a Ferrari. Is it really? Or is it just a sickness in the minds of collectors? It's not a precious metal. It's a video game.  Not even that, it's just the plastic. The game itself is not the valued part. :-X

And from what I can tell, the game isn't very fun.

Honestly, if I were to find a copy of Stadium Events at something like a pawn shop or a yard sale, I'd only buy it so I could give it to someone who would appreciate it. Like, I would give it turf or someone who is an avid NES collector and fan.

If I were to find one like that, I would definitely get rid of it.  For one, I'm not a NES collector and if I came into possession of a game like that, my mind would begin swirling with thoughts of acquiring other NES games.  The unfortunate nature of my OCD.   :-\ 

So somebody like Turf would be an ideal candidate to be the recipient, given nobody very close and/or family member was a NES collector.  I think I would ask him if he wanted to trade though.   :P  Ah...maybe not.  I think I am bi-polar because one day I want to give stuff to people, the next I want compensation.  What a tortured world my own mind is. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10066 on: March 17, 2016, 02:29:49 pm »
I'd sell it, too. Too many other games, systems, and other things I'd actually enjoy rather than having some game to show off that I know I'd never actually play.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10067 on: March 17, 2016, 02:31:00 pm »
It's just mind boggling that rare plastic and cardboard is worth a Ferrari. Is it really? Or is it just a sickness in the minds of collectors? It's not a precious metal. It's a video game.  Not even that, it's just the plastic. The game itself is not the valued part. :-X

Honestly, if I were to find a copy of Stadium Events at something like a pawn shop or a yard sale, I'd only buy it so I could give it to someone who would appreciate it. Like, I would give it turf or someone who is an avid NES collector and fan.

If I were to find one like that, I would definitely get rid of it.  For one, I'm not a NES collector and if I came into possession of a game like that, my mind would begin swirling with thoughts of acquiring other NES games.  The unfortunate nature of my OCD.   :-\ 

So somebody like Turf would be an ideal candidate to be the recipient, given nobody very close and/or family member was a NES collector.  I think I would ask him if he wanted to trade though.   :P  Ah...maybe not.  I think I am bi-polar because one day I want to give stuff to people, the next I want compensation.  What a tortured world my own mind is. 

Haha welcome to my world, jarjarxboner!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

rayne315

« Reply #10068 on: March 17, 2016, 02:33:06 pm »
I'm at work and can't see pics.  Who has a case of sealed Stadium Events games?

Some guy named atwoodtm. I have no idea who he is, I just saw this on /r/gamecollecting this morning.

I don't know that I really believe it. The guy on Nintendo Age is acting like the case itself cannot be opened because it has value? That seems really dumb. That's like saying I have a treasure chest with gold in it, but I'm not going to open it. Just trust me it's worth a ton.
I agree, it is dumb, but I've seen this before with boxes that had sealed brand new SNES games in them.  Guy sold them for $6k a case.  I wanna say it was F-Zero or Pilotwings or something.

The box itself is collectible in this situation.  It's kind of meta, like a higher order of sealed.

But yes, totally stupid... like VGA grading stuff.

Here's my take:  If I lucked into a sealed case of 6 copies of Stadium Events, the first thing I would do is open it up to make sure there is indeed six copies of Stadium Events in there!  Like Beloch argued in Raiders of the Lost Ark, they need to open the Ark to see if the pieces of the Ten Commandments are inside before crating it back to Berlin and presenting it to Hitler.  In other words, unless I see it...I don't believe it.

Second, while I am opposed to greedy a-holes getting sealed video games (and everything else) graded to try and artificially inflate the price, this is one time I would make an exception.  This guy obviously buys & sells sealed games.  VGA Grading carries clout among high-end collector's as it's a 3rd party verifying something as being the real deal/legitimate.  If I came into possession of this box of games, I would have each and every one graded, auction them off for huge sums of money and roll around naked on the bed with the money.  Then I would buy a Ferrari.

but hey, that's just me.

it actually does not look like this guy slabs games. of the 9 sealed items he has none are graded or slabed and looking through some of his feedback (entire first page) I cant see any that reference graded items. but yes I am with you I would grade every one of those 6, sell them, and probably buy a house. ok I might keep 1.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10069 on: March 17, 2016, 02:42:01 pm »
Just got these two games in a trade. Has anyone here played them? Are they any good? I know very little about them.

Also got this in there:

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10070 on: March 17, 2016, 02:46:49 pm »
Never played them.

Heard mixed reviews of Dark Sector.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

rayne315

« Reply #10071 on: March 17, 2016, 02:48:45 pm »
Never played them.

Heard mixed reviews of Dark Sector.

Isn't dark sector the prequel to war frame? I played that game for the longest time when I first got my ps4.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:50:17 pm by rayne315 »

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10072 on: March 17, 2016, 03:05:28 pm »

That's an A+ friend right there.

gf78

« Reply #10073 on: March 17, 2016, 03:09:37 pm »
Just got these two games in a trade. Has anyone here played them? Are they any good? I know very little about them.

Also got this in there:

Dark Sector was ok.  I think it was actually the very first game that screenshots were shown of for the PS3.  I think Warframe is more a "spiritual successor" than anything.  Timeshift I only played briefly.  It was a compentent game, but did nothing exceptionally well.  Never played the Spyro game.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

gf78

« Reply #10074 on: March 17, 2016, 03:17:38 pm »
Haha welcome to my world, jarjarxboner!

I know it's a mental illness.  The inability to stop buying things.  I would say that it isn't impulsive, but it is in the sense that I buy a game like Tekken 6 for example, I have to own Tekken 1-5 and whatever spin-off games that are related in any way.  I wanted to buy a couple Star Wars books, magazines, figures, etc.  I've ended up with around 50 books, every Star Wars special magazine I could lay my hands on, every single issue of Star Wars Insider Magazine from #23-#164 which is current (pre-#23 the magazine was called Lucasfilm Fan Club), and tons of figures, statues, models, Bluetooth speakers, card sets, etc.  And then I have even gone out hunting for the 22 issues of Lucasfilm Fan Club and have 18 of those so far!   :o

And my wife bless her heart...she bought me the Hamilton Collection Star Wars lamp.  The "pole" is Anakin & Luke's lightsaber, Vader's lightsaber and Luke's second lightsaber from RotJ that was green.  They are standing on the base and go up under the shade.  Each blade light up and then you have the standard bulb in the top.  The shade has gorgeous original trilogy artwork on it.  I think she paid $225 for it.

« Reply #10075 on: March 17, 2016, 03:19:33 pm »

Also got this in there:

Never played darkSector, but I have the hat you got for preordering the game.

Timeshift I played for all of five minutes and returned it.  I never gave it a chance because I was kind of bitter because everything about it kind of screamed a rip-off of Timesplitters/Haze, even the ads looked similar to the Timesplitters Future Perfect and Haze ads.

I have that spyro game I think, but never played it.  don't even know why I collect handheld games, I never play them.

rayne315

« Reply #10076 on: March 17, 2016, 03:28:35 pm »

Timeshift I played for all of five minutes and returned it.  I never gave it a chance because I was kind of bitter because everything about it kind of screamed a rip-off of Timesplitters/Haze, even the ads looked similar to the Timesplitters Future Perfect and Haze ads.

I have that spyro game I think, but never played it.  don't even know why I collect handheld games, I never play them.

You should do what I do, Bring in a hand held to work with you and play it on your lunch break.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kashell

« Reply #10077 on: March 17, 2016, 03:37:42 pm »

You should do what I do, Bring in a hand held to work with you and play it on your lunch break.

I used to do that years ago. I got through a bunch of PSP games during my lunch break.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10078 on: March 17, 2016, 03:44:16 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. Average is okay for me, better than being a bad game. All I traded for them was some old Superman VHSes (I have the DVD boxed set, now), an old paperback novel, and a handful of Spider-Man gaming cards.

rayne315

« Reply #10079 on: March 17, 2016, 03:48:01 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. Average is okay for me, better than being a bad game. All I traded for them was some old Superman VHSes (I have the DVD boxed set, now), an old paperback novel, and a handful of Spider-Man gaming cards.

btw I liked spyro season of ice back when it came out. I have not played it since so I don't know if it has aged well or not. Keep in mind though it is an advanced game.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully