Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1592547 times)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #10920 on: May 09, 2016, 03:12:58 pm »
Its just like smoking, or the new smoking.

Oh! douche-flute

Indeed!

Seriously those jackasses think it's okay to blow it in your face cause it's not smoke.

kashell

« Reply #10921 on: May 09, 2016, 03:29:38 pm »
I guess I'm just from a different era when nobody had a phone stuck to their hand.  When your plate of food wasn't "newsworthy" that instead of friggin' eating it, you have to post a picture of it first along with some hashtag BS and with different filters to make sure you have the lighting right.  And what the hell is a hashtag anyway???  We always called it a "number sign" or "pound sign."

This this this this this.

I. Hate. This. When people take pictures of their goddamn food, I lose it. I usually say something at an audible enough volume for them to hear. "Look at me I'm taking a picture of this food instead of eating it because I'm trying to be relevant!" This is a hot button for me because it's so damn stupid. They aren't food critics. They aren't chefs. Just because you're going to write a four star review on Yelp doesn't make you anything. They aren't anything except social media addicts that feel the need to show the rest of the world what they're about to eat.

Who. FUCKING. CARES!!

gf78

« Reply #10922 on: May 09, 2016, 03:38:44 pm »
Its just like smoking, or the new smoking.

Oh! douche-flute

Indeed!

Seriously those jackasses think it's okay to blow it in your face cause it's not smoke.

Those people need punched square in the face.  It may not be smoke, but I'm sure it still has nicotine in it and I don't give a shit what obnoxious scent they chose.  Wookie-Cookie my ass. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #10923 on: May 09, 2016, 03:43:01 pm »
I guess I'm just from a different era when nobody had a phone stuck to their hand.  When your plate of food wasn't "newsworthy" that instead of friggin' eating it, you have to post a picture of it first along with some hashtag BS and with different filters to make sure you have the lighting right.  And what the hell is a hashtag anyway???  We always called it a "number sign" or "pound sign."

This this this this this.

I. Hate. This. When people take pictures of their goddamn food, I lose it. I usually say something at an audible enough volume for them to hear. "Look at me I'm taking a picture of this food instead of eating it because I'm trying to be relevant!" This is a hot button for me because it's so damn stupid. They aren't food critics. They aren't chefs. Just because you're going to write a four star review on Yelp doesn't make you anything. They aren't anything except social media addicts that feel the need to show the rest of the world what they're about to eat.

Who. FUCKING. CARES!!
I'm actually gonna give two responses to this statement.

1. Where I work, they are very few food options other than food trucks and little mom and pop restaurants.  These are places that don't have websites and may not even have a social media presence, so for me, I have to rely on this to find pictures of the place's food or menu.  The food trucks are different every day and quite frequently they are new and I've never seen them here before.

2.  I take pictures of my food and the place's menu to contribute to that... also, because I'm a jerk and like to make my wife jealous with pictures of delicious food.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10924 on: May 09, 2016, 03:49:58 pm »
When I make something really good, as in from scratch, I totally share it. That's because I normally don't cook outside of box-instructions (other than grilling), and I'm proud of what I accomplished.

kashell

« Reply #10925 on: May 09, 2016, 03:50:30 pm »
Interesting.

1. 99% of the time I bring my lunch so I'm not "hip" and "with it" in terms of the food truck presence. However, the ones I've seen have pictures of their food on their trucks.

2. This kind of goes back to my tirade. Making your wife jealous is kind of funny. Contributing to social media makes me want to pop a food truck's tires.

I'll never forget this. I was in Key West and we were at this restaurant that had a ton of awesome selections. We all got our food, but this one person at our table would not stop snapping pictures of it. I was -FINISHED- with my meal by the time he got a picture that was "worthy of (sitonmy)Facebook."

I about threw my drink at him. But, that would be a waste of booze and wasting booze is a sin.

desocietas

« Reply #10926 on: May 09, 2016, 03:57:00 pm »

1. Where I work, they are very few food options other than food trucks and little mom and pop restaurants.  These are places that don't have websites and may not even have a social media presence, so for me, I have to rely on this to find pictures of the place's food or menu.  The food trucks are different every day and quite frequently they are new and I've never seen them here before.

2.  I take pictures of my food and the place's menu to contribute to that... also, because I'm a jerk and like to make my wife jealous with pictures of delicious food.

These are actually really good points. I try not to take photos of my food but sometimes a friend is curious about a menu item (but have never ordered it themselves) and is curious. The photos of food on Yelp are actually really helpful sometimes in helping me decide on what to have or how a place might prepare an item.

Ah, I did think of something else. A friend takes photos of her meals but as a way to remind herself of what she's eaten that day for the sake of a food journal and moderation of her diet.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #10927 on: May 09, 2016, 03:59:32 pm »
I guess I'm a curmudgeon with this sort of thing.

I'm sure that there will always be some sort of exception, but this trend annoys me the most about social media.

« Reply #10928 on: May 09, 2016, 04:00:15 pm »
Interesting.

1. 99% of the time I bring my lunch so I'm not "hip" and "with it" in terms of the food truck presence. However, the ones I've seen have pictures of their food on their trucks.

2. This kind of goes back to my tirade. Making your wife jealous is kind of funny. Contributing to social media makes me want to pop a food truck's tires.

I'll never forget this. I was in Key West and we were at this restaurant that had a ton of awesome selections. We all got our food, but this one person at our table would not stop snapping pictures of it. I was -FINISHED- with my meal by the time he got a picture that was "worthy of (sitonmy)Facebook."

I about threw my drink at him. But, that would be a waste of booze and wasting booze is a sin.
I try to bring lunch, but we have 1 microwave and I hate having to wait in line to use it, the alternative is cold food like sandwiches, which is fine, but I get tired of it or just don't take the time to put anything together so I pick up food.  I've not seen a food truck that has pictures of their food on the truck, it's always flashy graphics, which is pretty useless.

My statement was more that I contribute to Yelp, not social media.  I don't read or write reviews on Yelp.  The pictures on Yelp have to come from somewhere.

I guess it's a situational thing.

« Reply #10929 on: May 09, 2016, 04:03:20 pm »

These are actually really good points. I try not to take photos of my food but sometimes a friend is curious about a menu item (but have never ordered it themselves) and is curious. The photos of food on Yelp are actually really helpful sometimes in helping me decide on what to have or how a place might prepare an item.

Ah, I did think of something else. A friend takes photos of her meals but as a way to remind herself of what she's eaten that day for the sake of a food journal and moderation of her diet.
Especially when the restaurant's menu is in another language.  Where I'm at, the city is pretty diverse, so we have a lot of restaurants where the menu isn't in english, so being able to look up online helps.  Usually it's spanish, but there are plenty of others.

I try to make note of what I've eaten at certain places because I can never remember what I've had or what I liked, but I never take pictures for that purpose.

kashell

« Reply #10930 on: May 09, 2016, 04:08:26 pm »
I try to bring lunch, but we have 1 microwave and I hate having to wait in line to use it, the alternative is cold food like sandwiches, which is fine, but I get tired of it or just don't take the time to put anything together so I pick up food.  I've not seen a food truck that has pictures of their food on the truck, it's always flashy graphics, which is pretty useless.

My statement was more that I contribute to Yelp, not social media.  I don't read or write reviews on Yelp.  The pictures on Yelp have to come from somewhere.

It must be a situational thing. We have two microwaves, but I never have to wait more than a few seconds to use one. With Yelp, I never look at the pictures to make my determination of whether or not to go. I read the reviews, see the ratings, etc.

Truthfully, I would get something from a restaurant everyday if I could. I work downtown which is full of trendy places. However, my lunch time is used to study Japanese so it's easier if I bring something from home, scarf it down like Kirby, and then devote the rest of my break to studying.

« Reply #10931 on: May 09, 2016, 04:14:59 pm »

It must be a situational thing. We have two microwaves, but I never have to wait more than a few seconds to use one. With Yelp, I never look at the pictures to make my determination of whether or not to go. I read the reviews, see the ratings, etc.

Truthfully, I would get something from a restaurant everyday if I could. I work downtown which is full of trendy places. However, my lunch time is used to study Japanese so it's easier if I bring something from home, scarf it down like Kirby, and then devote the rest of my break to studying.
Yeah, 20-30 people waiting to use a microwave isn't fun.  I generally don't listen to the reviews because people complain about the stupidest things.  I'll glance and see if it's all 1 stars and people yelling about bugs in their food, but I've never seen a restaurant with all 1 stars, so I've not had to do that.  I want to see the menu and what food they sell, I'm perfectly willing to take a chance on a restaurant as long as something sounds like it could be good.

I generally work while I eat, so my "lunch break" is the walk or drive to a restaurant getting food to go.

karyann

« Reply #10932 on: May 09, 2016, 04:16:42 pm »
I sometimes take pictures of my food for my own enjoyment. I love photography and pretty visuals, so when my food looks appealing I like to keep kind of a souvenir. I find it silly to post on social media what you are eating though, and I know I'm getting judged by people who think I'm doing it  ::)

I also keep an album of food that my boyfriend and I make from scratch, like ramen with freshly roasted pork or fettucini that we actually made from the pastas to the sauce. Food can look very good. But rubbing it in everyone's faces is pretty absurd  ::)

Also, I'll just leave this here for the "people nowadays and their phone" thing:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:18:14 pm by karyann »

kashell

« Reply #10933 on: May 09, 2016, 04:23:34 pm »
I would never judge you, Lady K. You're too pretty for that.

That comic is hysterical, and so true.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10934 on: May 09, 2016, 04:24:38 pm »
I would never judge you, Lady K. You're too pretty for that.

That comic is hysterical, and so true.

QFT

Kashell, you've just earned a picture of everything I eat.  Thank you faceworld!