Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1590079 times)

gf78

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #10965 on: May 10, 2016, 12:08:42 pm »
Okay, question regarding Free Comic Book day for you.  Did your store do a limit of any kind?  I went to that comic book store and they did a limit of 2 comics per person total.  3 if you were dressed up.  I went to Hastings later that day and they had a sign that said 1 of each comic per person, that way everybody can have 1 of each if they have them available.

My store of choice had a limit of 5 books per person until 4:00PM, then it was whatever you want.  I think it depends on the store, if it's a chain, the amount of people they get, etc.  I thought five was a fair number and it allowed to me to get the comics I wanted.  They also had a random comic and/or magazine in the paper bags at the counter so when you took your freebies up, they put them in a bag with the random item.  They also had 25% off all current and back issues and trades as well as buy one, get one free on toys and novelties.

I should add that they had a big selection of $1 comics like the Marvel True Believers reprints, Star Wars Day comics and random stuff from DC and independents.  Coupled with the 25% off, I walked out with some Thor comics, a bunch of $1 books, the freebies, a Mr. Potato Head Boba Fett and a set of five enamel Episode I pins in a black frame.  Pretty sweet!  The Boba Fett Potato Head was from Disney World too.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:14:22 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #10966 on: May 10, 2016, 12:17:26 pm »
Okay, question regarding Free Comic Book day for you.  Did your store do a limit of any kind?  I went to that comic book store and they did a limit of 2 comics per person total.  3 if you were dressed up.  I went to Hastings later that day and they had a sign that said 1 of each comic per person, that way everybody can have 1 of each if they have them available.

My store of choice had a limit of 5 books per person until 4:00PM, then it was whatever you want.  I think it depends on the store, if it's a chain, the amount of people they get, etc.  I thought five was a fair number and it allowed to me to get the comics I wanted.  They also had a random comic and/or magazine in the paper bags at the counter so when you took your freebies up, they put them in a bag with the random item.  They also had 25% off all current and back issues and trades as well as buy one, get one free on toys and novelties.

I should add that they had a big selection of $1 comics like the Marvel True Believers reprints, Star Wars Day comics and random stuff from DC and independents.  Coupled with the 25% off, I walked out with some Thor comics, a bunch of $1 books, the freebies, a Mr. Potato Head Boba Fett and a set of five enamel Episode I pins in a black frame.  Pretty sweet!  The Boba Fett Potato Head was from Disney World too.
I need to look for a new comic store.

gf78

« Reply #10967 on: May 10, 2016, 12:33:27 pm »

I'm not sure what the local creeper's limit was or if he had any sales.  For a store that is just over two years in business, they have a pretty good selection of back issues and they carry a pretty expansive selection of new comics and have a wide array of trades and hardcovers.

I also forgot to mention that a few weeks ago, I bought a set of Secret Wars comics (new mini series), online and was looking for #0 which was a handout on Free Comic Book Day last year.  While chatting with the guys at All the Rage, I asked if they had any for sale.  He went in the back and came out with that and the free Avengers comic from 2015 and told me free of charge.  Very cool, especially when the #0 issue was going for $10 and up online. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #10968 on: May 10, 2016, 12:36:28 pm »

I'm not sure what the local creeper's limit was or if he had any sales.  For a store that is just over two years in business, they have a pretty good selection of back issues and they carry a pretty expansive selection of new comics and have a wide array of trades and hardcovers.

I also forgot to mention that a few weeks ago, I bought a set of Secret Wars comics (new mini series), online and was looking for #0 which was a handout on Free Comic Book Day last year.  While chatting with the guys at All the Rage, I asked if they had any for sale.  He went in the back and came out with that and the free Avengers comic from 2015 and told me free of charge.  Very cool, especially when the #0 issue was going for $10 and up online.
I wanna say it is super frowned upon for comic stores to sell the free comic book day comics, but that was cool of him.  My store's statement would be to wait until next free comic book day and see if we still have it.

I don't collect comics.  I think we went to a yard sale and the guy had a box, maybe 3-4 feet wide packed to the brim with comics, wanted $150 for the box.  The box would've taken 2 people to carry.  My wife still gets upset that I didn't buy it.  We'd never read them, I doubt we'd sell them, it would've just been a waste.  I'll buy the trade paperbacks or hardback collections if they release them, but even then they are weird.  I've been wanting for years to get a Deadpool collection.  I've seen several books, but it's always something like "Issues 13-20, 53,54,63,190,365, holiday special 0, 1 + 3 of side story" and I'm just like... no, give me all, or give me multiple volumes that give me all.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:40:07 pm by ctracy87 »

gf78

« Reply #10969 on: May 10, 2016, 12:45:23 pm »

I wanna say it is super frowned upon for comic stores to sell the free comic book day comics, but that was cool of him.  My store's statement would be to wait until next free comic book day and see if we still have it.

I don't collect comics.  I think we went to a yard sale and the guy had a box, maybe 3-4 feet wide packed to the brim with comics, wanted $150 for the box.  The box would've taken 2 people to carry.  My wife still gets upset that I didn't buy it.  We'd never read them, I doubt we'd sell them, it would've just been a waste.  I'll buy the trade paperbacks or hardback collections if they release them, but even then they are weird.  I've been wanting for years to get a Deadpool collection.  I've seen several books, but it's always something like "Issues 13-20, 53,54,63,190,365, holiday special 0, 1 + 3 of side story" and I'm just like... no, give me all, or give me multiple volumes that give me all.

Ah...the good old "runs" of comics missing half the issues.  I used to revel in the hunt, going from comic shop to comic shop in search of the elusive issues.  I used to feel the same about hunting for games.  These days I don't have the time or the patience for that nonsense. 

I must have spent 10 hours one Saturday years ago, hunting for issue #41 of Excalibur (X-Men spinoff series) at every comic shop within 100 miles.  I gave up.  A few months later, I was at a random comic shop and found about 20 copies of it for a buck.   ::)  By that point, I didn't even give a rat's ass.

Deadpool has always been fun comics to read.  Unfortunately, getting all the issues is difficult at best as they took place over various series and mini-series.  One of the $1 True Believers comics I bought was a reprint of an issue of New Mutants that just so happened to be Deadpool's 1st appearance.  Ugh...that Rob Liefeld art though.   :o
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:46:57 pm by gf78 »

« Reply #10970 on: May 10, 2016, 12:50:16 pm »

Ah...the good old "runs" of comics missing half the issues.  I used to revel in the hunt, going from comic shop to comic shop in search of the elusive issues.  I used to feel the same about hunting for games.  These days I don't have the time or the patience for that nonsense. 

I must have spent 10 hours one Saturday years ago, hunting for issue #41 of Excalibur (X-Men spinoff series) at every comic shop within 100 miles.  I gave up.  A few months later, I was at a random comic shop and found about 20 copies of it for a buck.   ::)  By that point, I didn't even give a rat's ass.

Deadpool has always been fun comics to read.  Unfortunately, getting all the issues is difficult at best as they took place over various series and mini-series.  One of the $1 True Believers comics I bought was a reprint of an issue of New Mutants that just so happened to be Deadpool's 1st appearance.  Ugh...that Rob Liefeld art though.   :o
Yeah, but I'm talking about the trade paperbacks.  The one's that are a collection of comics.  Or the hardbacks.  Deadpool is definitely a difficult one since he pops up in so many other stories about as often as he has his own.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10971 on: May 10, 2016, 12:57:25 pm »
My shop had a 2 issue limit, but then you could come back later in the afternoon and take as much as want.

This year, I had no Free Comic Book Day, though. My local shop's owner passed away a month or two back. And the other shop, that was a back-issue only shop, JUST started new issue orders. And since orders are two-months ahead, they don't get their first issues until July (well past FCBD).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:05:01 pm by burningdoom »

gf78

« Reply #10972 on: May 10, 2016, 12:57:54 pm »
Yeah, but I'm talking about the trade paperbacks.  The one's that are a collection of comics.  Or the hardbacks.  Deadpool is definitely a difficult one since he pops up in so many other stories about as often as he has his own.

I know what you are saying.  The best you can do is look for individual story arcs.  I can't look it up right now, but early on there was a Deadpool 4-issue mini series by Joe Madureira (the guy who designed Darksiders).  There is currently a Spider-Man/Deadpool series running as well that I have heard good things about but can't say definitively since I haven't read it myself yet. 

You will never be able to find collections of all the Deadpool appearances.  Like you said, he pops up in other books waaaay to often. 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10973 on: May 10, 2016, 12:59:38 pm »
I don't buy comics, so I'm wondering something: do you think they will "crash" in the same way the Atari did all those years ago?

The comic market goes in waves, kind of like the stock market. For a while, back-issues will be hot and skyrocketing in price, and then after a while, the bubble usually bursts. Then it slowly builds-up again. The 90s crash that was mentioned being the biggest example of that.

But lately, with all the comic movies and TV shows affecting values, it's been all over the place. A new character will show up on Flash or announced for a new movie, and suddenly issues that were dollar bin fodder are now jumping in price and going for crazy amounts on eBay because they have early appearances of said character..

« Reply #10974 on: May 10, 2016, 01:03:14 pm »

I know what you are saying.  The best you can do is look for individual story arcs.  I can't look it up right now, but early on there was a Deadpool 4-issue mini series by Joe Madureira (the guy who designed Darksiders).  There is currently a Spider-Man/Deadpool series running as well that I have heard good things about but can't say definitively since I haven't read it myself yet. 

You will never be able to find collections of all the Deadpool appearances.  Like you said, he pops up in other books waaaay to often.
I would be completely happy with a digital thing.  Like if Amazon did a Kindle bundle for like $50 or something that has every single comic that has Deadpool in it in digital form.  I'd bite the bullet and pay the $50 and be done with it.  I'm just throwing a number out there, don't even know if that's really a reasonable number.

gf78

« Reply #10975 on: May 10, 2016, 01:16:18 pm »

I would be completely happy with a digital thing.  Like if Amazon did a Kindle bundle for like $50 or something that has every single comic that has Deadpool in it in digital form.  I'd bite the bullet and pay the $50 and be done with it.  I'm just throwing a number out there, don't even know if that's really a reasonable number.

Unless there is a sale, digital comics cost the same amount as a print comic! 

desocietas

« Reply #10976 on: May 10, 2016, 01:31:58 pm »
This story gets better and better. Yikes.

http://www.parkhillsmo.net/welcome/mayor
He looks like that kind of guy.  But at least I don't see any blatant advertising for his store.  So there's that.

Though, expect him to mention how successful Free Comic Book day was at his store in the monthly Council Meeting this month.

LOL.  I'm sure.  I made my Free Comic Book Day run to All the Rage in Festus.  Even though I've only been there less than a dozen times so far, the guys that own and run the store remembered that I'm into Marvel comics.  Later in the day after I had already went, my nephew wanted to go get some free comics.  So we headed up there.  Almost all of the good stuff was gone by that point in the day, but one of the guys remembered my name and said "Hey Steve, I held onto these for you."  And he had a copy of the Civil War II and Captain America books.  Since I already got them, my nephew took those two.  But my point is that that is how you get and keep customers.  By being good to them and paying attention to what they like and making suggestions on things you enjoy.  They've earned my business by being great people, adding the comics I want to the "pull list" for the two months until my order form comics are shipped and just actually caring and not being asshats.

My spot had a limit of 6 per person, and they were pretty nice about helping you choose them if you weren't sure and addressing questions from parents about age-appropriate content.  They also had a table of leftover comics from last year's FCBD, and those were up for grab without limit, I believe.

That's also BS about that lawsuit for letting a comic subscription box go for a month. My BF keeps adding titles to his box but ends up changing his mind after not picking them up for 6 weeks. He'll just pick out some and give the rest back to the store. I told him that it's probably best if he didn't do that, as that's potentially lost income for them, but he shrugs it off  :-[  Thankfully the store is super nice and haven't told him off or anything.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:34:40 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

shepard11

« Reply #10977 on: May 10, 2016, 01:33:31 pm »
Geez I usually just stay out of these convos. But damn I would never run my shop like those assholes. Probably why my store been in business for the last 25 years. (And no I won't plug my own shop.) What I can garner from these stories of these shops is they just don't want to make money. I mean if I buy a comic for a buck and it books at 6 I'll sale that bad boy for 3. Jacking the prices of product just because ya can doesn't pay the rent, bills or employees. Guys like this give guys like me a bad name.

Flashback2012

« Reply #10978 on: May 10, 2016, 01:42:53 pm »

My local shop had a limit of 3 per person but that was for the general public. Regulars like me did not have any kind of limit attached to us so we were able to get as many as we wanted. I know I got at least 7 or 8 books just for the kids and I snagged 5 or so for myself. The offering this year was meh overall and I was surprised by DC's non-existent effort this year (a reprint of Suicide Squad #1 and nothing else besides kids stuff...really?  ???) I would have thought for sure they would have tossed out a teaser of some kind for their Rebirth.

It sounds like comic/game store owners being douchecanoes is not just isolated to around here.  :P

The manager of my local comic shop is great and he does his best to take care of my needs/wants. His boss, the owner, however is NOT what you'd call customer savvy so I imagine the reason for his success and multiple comic and game stores is because of the people he's hired.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:34:22 am by Flashback2012 »

gf78

« Reply #10979 on: May 10, 2016, 02:30:55 pm »
Geez I usually just stay out of these convos. But damn I would never run my shop like those assholes. Probably why my store been in business for the last 25 years. (And no I won't plug my own shop.) What I can garner from these stories of these shops is they just don't want to make money. I mean if I buy a comic for a buck and it books at 6 I'll sale that bad boy for 3. Jacking the prices of product just because ya can doesn't pay the rent, bills or employees. Guys like this give guys like me a bad name.

You have a comic shop?