Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1590868 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #11625 on: July 09, 2016, 04:41:18 pm »
Happiness is enjoying a game that gets nearly universally bashed. Star Ocean V is turning out to be more fun than I expected.

soera

« Reply #11626 on: July 09, 2016, 06:17:22 pm »
Happiness is enjoying a game that gets nearly universally bashed. Star Ocean V is turning out to be more fun than I expected.

High five

soera

« Reply #11627 on: July 09, 2016, 06:19:06 pm »
LET'S TALK BEST BUY FOR A MINUTE?
i got gifted a giant best buy gift card.
and when i went on the site... well, let me tell you, the moment i saw 'price match guarantee' i knew i was in for the longest haul of price manipulation fucking ever.

but tbh their selection of games is pretty slim, and PMG is only for new titles. balls. ;/
and they don't sell cherry mx blue switch keyboards or i'd just get that instead, and even then, i will never fucking buy a razer keyboard again and iirc, that's all they sold.

now i'm kinda wanting to sit around and wait out for a decent sale but... the only best buy near me has always been kinda inaccessible to me for a travel reason until recently. used to always be 11+ miles out.
so i have no idea when their sales are typically.

so i'm contemplating waiting for a sale, buying a couple $50 ebay cards (lmao) or -maybe- getting that fucking gamer club shit and a newer game with it, then using that store for my preorder from here out. or getting $100 psn credit and beefing up my PS classics list and giving my vita a lot of love and affection. (and by that i mean 'waiting for PSN sales which i can predict easier than BB sales')
thoughts? someone here has to use best buy more than my ass does, and the effort involved in using that price match online is too damn much. i'd just get shit shipped to me otherwise.

I use Best Buy on a weekly basis but I know a lot of the people there and I have a tax exempt card there so some times its worth it.

desocietas

« Reply #11628 on: July 09, 2016, 07:36:45 pm »

So glad to hear it! I don't usually look up reviews if it's a series I love and want to support. If it's not a great game, I'll find out when I play it for myself :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

shepard11

« Reply #11629 on: July 09, 2016, 08:53:12 pm »
LET'S TALK BEST BUY FOR A MINUTE?
i got gifted a giant best buy gift card.
and when i went on the site... well, let me tell you, the moment i saw 'price match guarantee' i knew i was in for the longest haul of price manipulation fucking ever.

but tbh their selection of games is pretty slim, and PMG is only for new titles. balls. ;/
and they don't sell cherry mx blue switch keyboards or i'd just get that instead, and even then, i will never fucking buy a razer keyboard again and iirc, that's all they sold.

now i'm kinda wanting to sit around and wait out for a decent sale but... the only best buy near me has always been kinda inaccessible to me for a travel reason until recently. used to always be 11+ miles out.
so i have no idea when their sales are typically.

so i'm contemplating waiting for a sale, buying a couple $50 ebay cards (lmao) or -maybe- getting that fucking gamer club shit and a newer game with it, then using that store for my preorder from here out. or getting $100 psn credit and beefing up my PS classics list and giving my vita a lot of love and affection. (and by that i mean 'waiting for PSN sales which i can predict easier than BB sales')
thoughts? someone here has to use best buy more than my ass does, and the effort involved in using that price match online is too damn much. i'd just get shit shipped to me otherwise.

I use Best Buy on a weekly basis but I know a lot of the people there and I have a tax exempt card there so some times its worth it.

I use to go to Best Buy also on a weekly basis. Then they pissed me off but harassing me one day. I honestly went into there to window shop for Blu-ray boxsets. And I was asked by no less than 7 workers from when I came into the door to the blu-ray section and most of them saw I was spoken to. I finally snapped and kinda had a meltdown. Slamming down the 70 dollar boxset I had in my hand I was going to buy. I walked out and haven't gone back since. I don't know if they were trolling me or that's their store policy.

« Reply #11630 on: July 11, 2016, 09:10:59 am »
Not to start up the PS4 v. X1 thing again.  But PS4 is officially dead last in my eyes this generation. 

It is absolutely ridiculous that I can't do extended storage on the PS4 with external hard drives.  Of all of the things that all 3 platforms offer, all of the minor inconveniences, and all of the non-intuitive features... this one is an absolute deal breaker for me.  I went out and rented Mirror's Edge over the weekend.  Case says requires 25GB to install.  I had 23GB free, so I went and deleted a few games so I had like 27GB.  It still wouldn't install.  I had to delete 30GB more of stuff to get the game to install.  I had to remove like 10 games from my system to install the game.  I'm sitting here choosing to play the Wii U version of a game over the PS4, because I don't want to have to deal with my storage on the PS4.

I would much rather wait an hour for a game to install ONCE than have to sit there for a half hour every time I play a new game deciding what games to uninstall.  And if I play an old game that I uninstalled, I have to go through this again.

Note this is all my OPINION.

If Sony would implement the ability to use external hard drives as extended storage, I'd bump them back to #1.

kashell

« Reply #11631 on: July 11, 2016, 10:51:23 am »

So glad to hear it! I don't usually look up reviews if it's a series I love and want to support. If it's not a great game, I'll find out when I play it for myself :)

I haven't looked at the reviews, but most of the negativity seems to be coming from angry gamers. Let me know what you think when you do try it!

I just got to a really great part in the story. One of the characters is out of commission now and it's opened up some new places to explore.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11632 on: July 11, 2016, 11:04:33 am »
If y'all haven't been listening to the Our Parents' Basement Podcast, you're missing out.  We're having a blast doing it.  It's so much fun. 

If you want to find it, just click this link https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCukoQ8WMofshYHPtMJSf3Ng

We're on iTunes, Stitcher, and GooglePlay too. 

I'm not really trying to plug stuff.  This is more about me having fun doing. it. 

gf78

« Reply #11633 on: July 11, 2016, 11:31:31 am »
Not to start up the PS4 v. X1 thing again.  But PS4 is officially dead last in my eyes this generation. 

It is absolutely ridiculous that I can't do extended storage on the PS4 with external hard drives.  Of all of the things that all 3 platforms offer, all of the minor inconveniences, and all of the non-intuitive features... this one is an absolute deal breaker for me.  I went out and rented Mirror's Edge over the weekend.  Case says requires 25GB to install.  I had 23GB free, so I went and deleted a few games so I had like 27GB.  It still wouldn't install.  I had to delete 30GB more of stuff to get the game to install.  I had to remove like 10 games from my system to install the game.  I'm sitting here choosing to play the Wii U version of a game over the PS4, because I don't want to have to deal with my storage on the PS4.

I would much rather wait an hour for a game to install ONCE than have to sit there for a half hour every time I play a new game deciding what games to uninstall.  And if I play an old game that I uninstalled, I have to go through this again.

If Sony would implement the ability to use external hard drives as extended storage, I'd bump them back to #1.

Overall, the PS4 is the best console this generation IMO.  From power to ease of use to the best games & best user interface, I love the PS4.  I guess Sony figured you could just swap your HDD out for a larger one, but that isn't ideal to me.  If you don't buy a new HDD when you purchase the PS4, you are talking about a real pain in the ass to upgrade and move your files over.  Like you, I am constantly deleting older games and media because I am out of room.  If we were talking about a situation where you just pop the disc in and do a quick reinstall, it wouldn't be a big deal.  But pretty much every single game has been updated/patched numerous times so you have to go through that entire process again.  Sony gives me a minimum of two free games per month that work on the PS4 and it's pretty much a guarantee at this point that every game not made by Nintendo or Microsoft will be on the PS4.

Xbox One is my runner-up and my choice as a secondary console.  The installs are a huge pain in the ass, especially since 99% of the games won't allow you to start playing during the install.  The updates are cumbersome and unless you disconnect the system from your network, it won't even let you play the single player.  The user interface is non-intuitive to me and as usual, Microsoft hides your games "folder" beneath a layer of crap.  I really get sick of seeing Larry Hyrb (or whatever the hell his name is) mug on my dashboard.   >:(  On the positive side, Halo.  Did I mention Halo?  It's my favorite game series and it's nice to be playing them again, especially the older titles.  The Xbox One controller is great and the Elite controller is fantastic.  I will undoubtedly add an external HDD when it becomes a necessity so it's nice to know I won't have to juggle nearly a terabyte worth of data to add storage.  There is also a nice selection of exclusive titles on the Xbox One that I enjoy and/or am looking forward to.  Again, it's a great secondary console for me.

The Wii U comes in dead-last for me.  If I didn't already own one, I surely would not invest in it now.  There are barely any exclusive games to play on the thing that I care about.  I like playing the Mario games including New/Kart/3D/etc.  I don't care about Zelda, Starfox, Pokémon or any of that other crap.  Bayonetta 2 was cool, but not a reason to own an entire system.  All two 3rd party exclusives pretty much suck as well and the games have slowed to a trickle.  I've probably gotten 3 hours max out of the controller before having to charge it and my "deluxe" system includes a whopping 32gigs of storage.   ::)  Even worse, it's the Zelda Wind Waker edition and they didn't even include a digital code so I could sell the game code, it's pre-loaded onto the console.  Friend codes are ridiculous and Nintendo genuinely seems to be making things difficult for gamers just because they can.  At this point, I have absolutely zero interest in whatever super-secret stuff they are cooking up for the NX.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #11634 on: July 11, 2016, 12:49:18 pm »

Overall, the PS4 is the best console this generation IMO.  From power to ease of use to the best games & best user interface, I love the PS4.  I guess Sony figured you could just swap your HDD out for a larger one, but that isn't ideal to me.  If you don't buy a new HDD when you purchase the PS4, you are talking about a real pain in the ass to upgrade and move your files over.  Like you, I am constantly deleting older games and media because I am out of room.  If we were talking about a situation where you just pop the disc in and do a quick reinstall, it wouldn't be a big deal.  But pretty much every single game has been updated/patched numerous times so you have to go through that entire process again.  Sony gives me a minimum of two free games per month that work on the PS4 and it's pretty much a guarantee at this point that every game not made by Nintendo or Microsoft will be on the PS4.

Xbox One is my runner-up and my choice as a secondary console.  The installs are a huge pain in the ass, especially since 99% of the games won't allow you to start playing during the install.  The updates are cumbersome and unless you disconnect the system from your network, it won't even let you play the single player.  The user interface is non-intuitive to me and as usual, Microsoft hides your games "folder" beneath a layer of crap.  I really get sick of seeing Larry Hyrb (or whatever the hell his name is) mug on my dashboard.   >:(  On the positive side, Halo.  Did I mention Halo?  It's my favorite game series and it's nice to be playing them again, especially the older titles.  The Xbox One controller is great and the Elite controller is fantastic.  I will undoubtedly add an external HDD when it becomes a necessity so it's nice to know I won't have to juggle nearly a terabyte worth of data to add storage.  There is also a nice selection of exclusive titles on the Xbox One that I enjoy and/or am looking forward to.  Again, it's a great secondary console for me.

The Wii U comes in dead-last for me.  If I didn't already own one, I surely would not invest in it now.  There are barely any exclusive games to play on the thing that I care about.  I like playing the Mario games including New/Kart/3D/etc.  I don't care about Zelda, Starfox, Pokémon or any of that other crap.  Bayonetta 2 was cool, but not a reason to own an entire system.  All two 3rd party exclusives pretty much suck as well and the games have slowed to a trickle.  I've probably gotten 3 hours max out of the controller before having to charge it and my "deluxe" system includes a whopping 32gigs of storage.   ::)  Even worse, it's the Zelda Wind Waker edition and they didn't even include a digital code so I could sell the game code, it's pre-loaded onto the console.  Friend codes are ridiculous and Nintendo genuinely seems to be making things difficult for gamers just because they can.  At this point, I have absolutely zero interest in whatever super-secret stuff they are cooking up for the NX.
Mine is reversed.

Wii U > X1 > PS4.

My wind waker edition had a download code... I sold it same day for $50.

I have little to no complaints about the Wii U, I don't play online and Nintendo gets me with every single game they release.

My sole legitimate complaint about X1 is the install times, some games can take half a day to install, and that sucks.  It does let you play while the game is installing, it pops up a message to let you know when it's "ready to play" while it is installing.  But I did that and within 5 minutes of playing I got an error message that said that I went too far into the game and would have to wait for the installer to catch up.  I have a slightly illegitimate complaint with the stability of the system, but for me I'm in the beta program so I get all of the buggy OS issues.

Free games + limited HDD space sets PS4 as dead last.  It's almost a stupid complaint, but for me, it's a deal breaker.  Even the 360 allows for extended storage.  I had this same issue with the PS3 and it's why that system stayed dead to me for such a long time.  It went YLOD and I didn't bother to repair it for years because it just wasn't worth it.  But I started fresh and threw a 1TB drive in it and it's still not full.  I guess that's because the game sizes on PS3 aren't that big.  But with all of the content I've been deleting from my 500GB PS4, I'd probably fill up that 1TB twice.  Like everyone has their pet peeves and little things that are just absolutely unacceptable, but really they shouldn't be.  This is one of those things for me.  It's an absolute deal breaker, and in the future, all of my multi-platform choices will be X1 or Wii U over PS4 from now on.

gf78

« Reply #11635 on: July 11, 2016, 01:02:52 pm »
Mine is reversed.

Wii U > X1 > PS4.

I have little to no complaints about the Wii U, I don't play online and Nintendo gets me with every single game they release.

My sole legitimate complaint about X1 is the install times, some games can take half a day to install, and that sucks.  It does let you play while the game is installing, it pops up a message to let you know when it's "ready to play" while it is installing.  But I did that and within 5 minutes of playing I got an error message that said that I went too far into the game and would have to wait for the installer to catch up.  I have a slightly illegitimate complaint with the stability of the system, but for me I'm in the beta program so I get all of the buggy OS issues.

Free games + limited HDD space sets PS4 as dead last.  It's almost a stupid complaint, but for me, it's a deal breaker.  Even the 360 allows for extended storage.  I had this same issue with the PS3 and it's why that system stayed dead to me for such a long time.  It went YLOD and I didn't bother to repair it for years because it just wasn't worth it.  But I started fresh and threw a 1TB drive in it and it's still not full.  I guess that's because the game sizes on PS3 aren't that big.  But with all of the content I've been deleting from my 500GB PS4, I'd probably fill up that 1TB twice.  Like everyone has their pet peeves and little things that are just absolutely unacceptable, but really they shouldn't be.  This is one of those things for me.  It's an absolute deal breaker, and in the future, all of my multi-platform choices will be X1 or Wii U over PS4 from now on.

That's cool my friend.  Since you aren't online, you haven't had to deal with the extra headaches of the Xbox One.  When it is connected online, game installs themselves take over twice as long.  Why?  I don't know.  But they do.  Even if you are lucky enough to have a game that will let you start playing before the install is complete, it won't work if your system is connected because once it sees there is an update, it won't let you even play single player without downloading the update.  It stops you dead in your tracks. 

As for the Wii U, mine just collects dust.  There was no code for the game in my box (bought brand-new/sealed) for the game, just for the Zelda book.   ???  The only time the Wii U has gotten any significant use in my house is when I first bought it with Mario 3D World and when Mario Kart 8 was released.  It went dormant after both of those games were thoroughly beaten and only received a smidgen of attention when the DLC for Mario Kart was released.  I literally have not turned that system on for several months now...probably around January.  I kid you not. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #11636 on: July 11, 2016, 01:07:02 pm »
Mine is reversed.

Wii U > X1 > PS4.

That's cool my friend.  Since you aren't online, you haven't had to deal with the extra headaches of the Xbox One.  When it is connected online, game installs themselves take over twice as long.  Why?  I don't know.  But they do.  Even if you are lucky enough to have a game that will let you start playing before the install is complete, it won't work if your system is connected because once it sees there is an update, it won't let you even play single player without downloading the update.  It stops you dead in your tracks. 

As for the Wii U, mine just collects dust.  There was no code for the game in my box (bought brand-new/sealed) for the game, just for the Zelda book.   ???  The only time the Wii U has gotten any significant use in my house is when I first bought it with Mario 3D World and when Mario Kart 8 was released.  It went dormant after both of those games were thoroughly beaten and only received a smidgen of attention when the DLC for Mario Kart was released.  I literally have not turned that system on for several months now...probably around January.  I kid you not.
No no no, I don't PLAY online.  I have internet.  I have 300Mbps internet at that, so downloading patches is supah quick.

I have an instinctive habit to pop in the disc for a new game immediately, so by the time I'm ready to play, it's already installed.  I did that with Mirror's Edge Catalyst, but when I came to play, it just showed an error because I didn't have enough HDD space.  I will agree X1 takes way too long to install, but I can deal with that.  It's not good, but it is acceptable.  Really though, when you buy a game, all of the necessary information needed to PLAY the game should be on the disc, installing content to a hard drive shouldn't be necessarily required.  360 kind of did that with the optional HDD installs, some games ran better that way, but they still ran without it.  I remember PS3 being pretty damned bad with that crap.  PS4 seems to do quick installs, but if I need to re-download a 30GB game, it's going to take a while and waste bandwidth that doesn't need to be wasted if they would just allow extended storage.

My Wii U has a 32GB HDD (If you can call it a HDD), but I don't buy retail games digitally, so I've not really filled up the drive.  I got some free retail games digitally at some point, and I chose to do extended storage for those so I wouldn't have to deal with the issue.  But again, Nintendo gets me, they always have and I love them for it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:15:14 pm by ignition365 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11637 on: July 11, 2016, 05:13:01 pm »

That's how I felt about the King's Field games. People hated those games for so long. And I love them so much I play them through about once a year, despite knowing every nook-and-cranny of the game. Now, though, that Demon's Soul cited the series as a big inspiration, everyone and their mom's love it.

For a more recent pick, Viking: Battle For Asgard by Sega. I played it on XBox 360. Played through it about 3 times now, I love it so much. But I heard bad reviews everywhere for this game. It's basically an open-map viking warground. You run rampant around the land, taking out enemy bases and freeing fellow soldiers until you have enough of an army to take on that land's homebase. Lots of brutal, violent, and bloody fun!

karyann

« Reply #11638 on: July 12, 2016, 12:43:26 pm »

Amen to that :) People like to get hyped over hating things together, for some reason. That usually turns into ugly things for no reason.  :-\

kashell

« Reply #11639 on: July 12, 2016, 02:09:54 pm »

Amen to that :) People like to get hyped over hating things together, for some reason. That usually turns into ugly things for no reason.  :-\

That is so true. It really gives new meaning to the adage "misery loves company."