Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1605299 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #11835 on: August 09, 2016, 09:29:28 am »
Based on all I read about Dokapon, the games seem rather humdrum. Are they any good?

« Reply #11836 on: August 09, 2016, 09:47:04 am »
Based on all I read about Dokapon, the games seem rather humdrum. Are they any good?
I'm playing the story mode with my wife.  It's kind of Mario Party-esque in that you have a big board and you basically roll dice and use items to help yourself or screw over other players.  There are no mini-games.  Battling works kind of like Rock-Paper-Scissors, you have Attack/Defend, where defend only lightens the damage you receive, Strike/Counter, where counter dodges and inflicts major damage, some magic atk/def moves, and special stuff like Healing, Running away like a little girl, etc.  Defend only works against Attack, Counter only works against Strike, MG Def only works against a MG Atk.  There are events, and you can attack towns and stores, but "attacking" is literally rock paper scissors, literally.  Choose Rock, Paper, or Scissors.  If you lose, there is a bounty on your head for 7 turns.  If you win, you get money and/or items.  Fights gain xp, you level up, distro points, get stronger.  There is a class based system, and you can change your class mid game, highly encouraged once you master a class.  If you are getting your butt handed to you, you can become a Darkling and proceed to work to set the game back to an even playing field (no money, no towns, no items, etc.)  It's kind of Mario Kart in that sense.  You don't want to be winning by a huge margin, or the game will attempt to even the playing field.

So, a little bit Mario Party, a little bit Mario Kart (strictly the rubberband mechanic), a little bit Monopoly, and a little bit RPG... with a lot of Rock Paper Scissors.

desocietas

« Reply #11837 on: August 09, 2016, 10:51:56 am »
I like/enjoy the game, but I wouldn't say that it's worth $100+. It's very silly and cute but isn't something groundbreaking. Might just be another case of Nintendo + Atlus = $$$

There's a PS2 version of the game that's going for less in case you wanted to try the game.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #11838 on: August 09, 2016, 11:05:03 am »
I think I'll pass. Thanks for the information, though!

maximo310

« Reply #11839 on: August 09, 2016, 03:06:19 pm »
Yeah, the Wii price on that game is super inflated due to collector demand and multiple print runs, where a clear disc is the most coveted one. I'd reccomend trying it out on Dolphin and then go from there.

desocietas

« Reply #11840 on: August 09, 2016, 03:07:53 pm »
Yeah, the Wii price on that game is super inflated due to collector demand and multiple print runs, where a clear disc is the most coveted one. I'd reccomend trying it out on Dolphin and then go from there.

Huh, I didn't realize there were two different disc variants. I'll have to check mine when I get home. I recall when I rented it initially, it was probably that blue inked one.

If there are different disc variants, we should probably create another record in the database, no?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #11841 on: August 09, 2016, 03:15:20 pm »
I'll have to look into this as well.  I can't recall if the disc art was color or not.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:18:19 pm by ignition365 »

maximo310

« Reply #11842 on: August 09, 2016, 03:19:47 pm »

Huh, I didn't realize there were two different disc variants. I'll have to check mine when I get home. I recall when I rented it initially, it was probably that blue inked one.

If there are different disc variants, we should probably create another record in the database, no?
That's a good idea; first print is the blue and white disk w/ manual+ case. The second print is the same, but with a fully colored disc. There's also a third print that has the fully colored disc, but was only reprinted with the disk ( no manual+case was included).

« Reply #11843 on: August 09, 2016, 03:22:34 pm »
but was only reprinted with the disk ( no manual+case was included).
WAT?!?  Like they sold loose discs and called it New? or Gamestop did their Xenoblade thing and reprint it and slapped it into one of those store cases?

desocietas

« Reply #11844 on: August 09, 2016, 03:28:44 pm »
WAT?!?  Like they sold loose discs and called it New? or Gamestop did their Xenoblade thing and reprint it and slapped it into one of those store cases?

Disc only and into a pre-owned case, most likely... I found this thread that mentions other similar things: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=971972
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #11845 on: August 09, 2016, 03:36:42 pm »

Disc only and into a pre-owned case, most likely... I found this thread that mentions other similar things: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=971972
I'll need to check some of my games for integrity.  The only one I'm certain about is Metroid because I have the steelbook.  Bought it clearanced at Best Buy years ago.

« Reply #11846 on: August 10, 2016, 08:57:16 am »

I haven't taken out Dokapon to check, but my wife doesn't like the game (she won't tell me why, I assume it's because she is losing).  But my Fire Emblem is definitely first print.  Forgot to check Xenoblade, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a reprint.  And it sounds like no one knows how to verify a reprint of Calling.

My Cave Story 3D is definitely a reprint though.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11847 on: August 10, 2016, 10:35:35 am »
OMG, Dragon Warrior III is freaking hard! I've played all the rest in the series except for VII & VIII, and so far, III is by far the hardest.

Way more grinding needed to get your gear, but that alone isn't what makes it harder. It's cheap attacks from enemies. When an enemy casts "Defeat" in this game, instead of it possibly killing one character in your party, it can kill your ENTIRE party in one move. And it's happened to me more than once in this game. Also, they have "Brutal Attacks" in this game. Every once in a while, a monster can throw out a "Brutal Attack" and wipe out a character in your party in one move.

Now there is no permadeath in this game, so it's not so bad. But it does suck when you've been grinding for 2 hours in one spot so you have enough gold to get that one suit of armor. You're almost there, and some asshole monster casts "Defeat" and wipes out your party. Then you're gold that you spend 2 freaking hours grinding for, is cut in half. And when you're talking thousands of gold, that's a LOT of gold and time lost.

This one is gonna take some real patience for me to complete.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:37:13 am by burningdoom »

rayne315

« Reply #11848 on: August 10, 2016, 02:19:47 pm »
well over the weekend I ended up breaking my no game buying streak of 2 weeks. sad I know. I didn't even get anything good, just a bunch of ds puzzle games.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #11849 on: August 10, 2016, 03:29:14 pm »
Nights of Azure.  Yay or Nay?

Gamefly has it for $20 right now.  Don't know how I feel about it.  Looks a little Musou to me.