Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1558771 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #12720 on: February 23, 2017, 08:53:44 am »
Y'all got me curious about both Cipro and Bactrim. I did some research and the moral of the story I got was this:

"Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects."

Hopefully you'll feel better soon.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12721 on: February 23, 2017, 10:13:57 am »
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's been a rough couple weeks for me. Had some tests done that came back clear. Was prescribed antibiotic called Cipro. After taking it for a while I started to break out in a rash on my arms. So I don't think I can keep taking it, too bad because it was working pretty well. But Cipro is highly toxic and causes all sorts of problems in people... Kind of scary
If you haven't consider talking to your doctor, you likely have an allergy to specific types of antibiotics.

Definitely contact a doctor/nurse line as they'll let you know what to do. They'll most likely tell you to stop taking it completely and will help prescribe you a different antibiotic. You don't want to stop taking antibiotics too early because whatever the cause was might develop a resistance otherwise, but you also don't want to continue taking something you're allergic to. Also good for them to note which antibiotic caused the reaction so they know to never prescribe it to you again. Good luck!

They told me to stop. Now they've thrown another antibiotic at me, Bactrim, which many people are highly allergic to. I'm reluctant to even start taking it. Is it really worth all of the health risks involved in these drugs? I'm probably allergic to this one too. Plus I already have to worry about tendon problems among many other things possibly for years just for taking Cipro. Now I have to take this, and drink excessive water every day just so it won't damage my kidneys? Doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd rather look into supplements or herbal remedies, than to quite frankly risk everything taking dangerous pills that my body is just going to reject.  :(

Dude, if they're prescribing Cipro and Bactrim; you've got a serious infection going on, like the kind that will kill you.  Take the meds.  If you get side effects,  call your doctor. 

You know what we call supplements and herbal remedies that work?  Medicine. 
Now, take the Bactrim and and drink lots of water.

I've not heard of any supplements or herbs causing major organ damage, muscle, bone and skin disease, destruction of blood cells, or neurological damage. It's not the side effects I worry about it, it's anaphylaxis. Not my idea of fun, aside from the fact that with no health insurance I literally cannot afford to spend a night, let alone a week in intensive care.

I wasn't trying to insult you or anything like that.  I'm just saying that doctors don't prescribe Cipro for a cold.  It's usually pretty serious stuff. 

As for the supplement stuff, modern medicine works.  If something in nature works, we us it.
You know that pain reliever that is made from the bark of a willow tree?  Yeah, we use it and call is aspirin.  Remember that fungus that is used to treat infections?  That's penicillin.  My point is if a supplement or herb had been observed to work consistently, doctors would prescribe it.   

Warmsignal

« Reply #12722 on: February 23, 2017, 10:58:53 am »
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's been a rough couple weeks for me. Had some tests done that came back clear. Was prescribed antibiotic called Cipro. After taking it for a while I started to break out in a rash on my arms. So I don't think I can keep taking it, too bad because it was working pretty well. But Cipro is highly toxic and causes all sorts of problems in people... Kind of scary
If you haven't consider talking to your doctor, you likely have an allergy to specific types of antibiotics.

Definitely contact a doctor/nurse line as they'll let you know what to do. They'll most likely tell you to stop taking it completely and will help prescribe you a different antibiotic. You don't want to stop taking antibiotics too early because whatever the cause was might develop a resistance otherwise, but you also don't want to continue taking something you're allergic to. Also good for them to note which antibiotic caused the reaction so they know to never prescribe it to you again. Good luck!

They told me to stop. Now they've thrown another antibiotic at me, Bactrim, which many people are highly allergic to. I'm reluctant to even start taking it. Is it really worth all of the health risks involved in these drugs? I'm probably allergic to this one too. Plus I already have to worry about tendon problems among many other things possibly for years just for taking Cipro. Now I have to take this, and drink excessive water every day just so it won't damage my kidneys? Doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd rather look into supplements or herbal remedies, than to quite frankly risk everything taking dangerous pills that my body is just going to reject.  :(

Dude, if they're prescribing Cipro and Bactrim; you've got a serious infection going on, like the kind that will kill you.  Take the meds.  If you get side effects,  call your doctor. 

You know what we call supplements and herbal remedies that work?  Medicine. 
Now, take the Bactrim and and drink lots of water.

I've not heard of any supplements or herbs causing major organ damage, muscle, bone and skin disease, destruction of blood cells, or neurological damage. It's not the side effects I worry about it, it's anaphylaxis. Not my idea of fun, aside from the fact that with no health insurance I literally cannot afford to spend a night, let alone a week in intensive care.

I wasn't trying to insult you or anything like that.  I'm just saying that doctors don't prescribe Cipro for a cold.  It's usually pretty serious stuff. 

As for the supplement stuff, modern medicine works.  If something in nature works, we us it.
You know that pain reliever that is made from the bark of a willow tree?  Yeah, we use it and call is aspirin.  Remember that fungus that is used to treat infections?  That's penicillin.  My point is if a supplement or herb had been observed to work consistently, doctors would prescribe it.

UTI's are usually what these meds are prescribed for. I'll just say that what I have is similar to a UTI, but more painful and less common. I'd rather have a UTI. Anyways, I've been reading about stuff like yarrow, and something called golden seal, that have been effective for some people. I don't think doctors would ever prescribe those things. I've heard doctors in the past actually say that you shouldn't take any supplements or herbs to treat your conditions. Like it would be detrimental to try, or something.

« Reply #12723 on: February 23, 2017, 11:08:27 am »
Like it would be detrimental to try, or something.
It can be.  That's what contraindications are for.

St. John's wort for example is considered an alternative medicine (herbal supplement) considered effective in aiding treating for mild to moderate depression... BUT you shouldn't take St. John's wort with many different types of medicine... such as antibiotics

Here is a list of contraindications for St. John's wort
Code: [Select]
Contraindications
Should not be used with cyclosporine, tacrolimus, irinotecan, and imatinib mesylate, as well as protease inhibitors and nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors in HIV treatment.

I get that you aren't using St. John's wort, but it's an example of how even herbal supplements can be detrimental.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12724 on: February 24, 2017, 01:58:46 pm »
So this never happened because....why? (SSJ3 Vegeta)

kashell

« Reply #12725 on: February 27, 2017, 10:02:14 am »
It's gonna be a long week due to the promise of fun weekend ahead.

Warmsignal

« Reply #12726 on: February 27, 2017, 10:24:57 am »
I've come to the conclusion that GS just isn't as thrifty as it used to be for buying used games. They seem to be holding onto the $19.99 price point for a lot of games that are old news. Don't see anything dip below that very often. I noticed this when I started my Wii U goal. A lot of second and third tier Wii U games that nobody really cares about, all $19.99 pre-owned. Other consoles as well. South Park the Stick of Truth? How long ago was that? Still $19.99. Bound By Flame? Does anyone remember that obscure budget release? Still $19.99. I picked up "Putty Squad" from Walmart at $10, it's an obscure sequel to an SNES game, released a few years back cross-platform. Still $17.99 at GS.

It doesn't make sense that they would keep prices up higher, on games that people are less and less likely to buy. I don't feel like just picking something up if it's gonna be $19.99. That's need to have it price for a modern game.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:46:12 am by Warmsignal »

desocietas

« Reply #12727 on: February 27, 2017, 11:47:40 am »
I've come to the conclusion that GS just isn't as thrifty as it used to be for buying used games. They seem to be holding onto the $19.99 price point for a lot of games that are old news. Don't see anything dip below that very often. I noticed this when I started my Wii U goal. A lot of second and third tier Wii U games that nobody really cares about, all $19.99 pre-owned. Other consoles as well. South Park the Stick of Truth? How long ago was that? Still $19.99. Bound By Flame? Does anyone remember that obscure budget release? Still $19.99. I picked up "Putty Squad" from Walmart at $10, it's an obscure sequel to an SNES game, released a few years back cross-platform. Still $17.99 at GS.

It doesn't make sense that they would keep prices up higher, on games that people are less and less likely to buy. I don't feel like just picking something up if it's gonna be $19.99. That's need to have it price for a modern game.

Unfortunately, Nintendo games never drop very much in general at GS. I'm lucky if they have some crazy weird drop, like they did once with one of the Paper Mario games on the 3DS and some other 3DS games for $10, but they haven't dropped that low in a long time. Otherwise, I wait until a drop at Walmart or elsewhere for home console games.

I've noticed that the GS price drops aren't as extreme as I recall them being back in the good ol' days :'(
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

doafan

« Reply #12728 on: February 27, 2017, 12:09:19 pm »
Vacations are over and the good thing is that am still alive, spent this past week like a kid playing all mornings as much as I can also gained a couple of kilos cause the fridge was my best friend these past days but it's nice to come back, not to work, to the forum and all my regular activities, didn't used any computer so really have tons of Comics to read, Anime to watch and stuff that need to upload to my Pinterest account  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

azure

« Reply #12729 on: February 27, 2017, 03:32:07 pm »

Unfortunately, Nintendo games never drop very much in general at GS. I'm lucky if they have some crazy weird drop, like they did once with one of the Paper Mario games on the 3DS and some other 3DS games for $10, but they haven't dropped that low in a long time. Otherwise, I wait until a drop at Walmart or elsewhere for home console games.

I've noticed that the GS price drops aren't as extreme as I recall them being back in the good ol' days :'(

Miss those days too, knocked out large chunk of my PS3/360 wishlist back then with games for only 3-6$ a pop.

« Reply #12730 on: February 27, 2017, 03:47:58 pm »

Miss those days too, knocked out large chunk of my PS3/360 wishlist back then with games for only 3-6$ a pop.
word.  I was doing this with Wii/DS for a while, now anything worth while at Gamestop is over retail and you know it's never complete.

azure

« Reply #12731 on: February 27, 2017, 03:53:04 pm »

word.  I was doing this with Wii/DS for a while, now anything worth while at Gamestop is over retail and you know it's never complete.

I know the pain, most launch PS3/360 games they stock they threw out the coverart/manual for who knows why.

kashell

« Reply #12732 on: February 27, 2017, 04:12:15 pm »
GameStop throws away manuals and cover art for PS3/360 games now? For real?

Warmsignal

« Reply #12733 on: February 27, 2017, 06:21:02 pm »
GameStop throws away manuals and cover art for PS3/360 games now? For real?

Since forever ago. I've had, for some time, a huge stock pile of cases and manuals for those types of games that they threw out, hoarded away in storage. I don't know why. I guess I could stand letting them go to the landfill. On many occasions I found complete games, that worked when I tested them. One of which was Lost Odyssey for Xbox 360.

kashell

« Reply #12734 on: February 28, 2017, 08:20:49 am »
I knew about the DS/3DS stuff, but not about the PS3/360 stuff. That's really upsetting.