Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1534677 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #12795 on: March 08, 2017, 03:16:08 pm »
I looked at my order number and it was Tohou Genso Wanderer. I couldn't say no to a two-for-one special.

Are you getting that one, too?

desocietas

« Reply #12796 on: March 08, 2017, 03:20:06 pm »
I looked at my order number and it was Tohou Genso Wanderer. I couldn't say no to a two-for-one special.

Are you getting that one, too?

I definitely thought about it for a while, but it doesn't really seem to line up with the sort of games I'd play.
I just preordered Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception, though, because they announced that it'd have a nice slip case and artbook for pre-order copies... Figured I'd add it to my Vita collection (ended up being about $30 after prime discount and a $5 giftcard). Not sure if I'll love it, but figured I'd give it a shot.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #12797 on: March 08, 2017, 03:28:42 pm »
I definitely thought about it for a while, but it doesn't really seem to line up with the sort of games I'd play.
I just preordered Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception, though, because they announced that it'd have a nice slip case and artbook for pre-order copies... Figured I'd add it to my Vita collection (ended up being about $30 after prime discount and a $5 giftcard). Not sure if I'll love it, but figured I'd give it a shot.

I pre-ordered that one and Mask of Truth, too! It looks really interesting. Apparently that series has been around for quite some time.

desocietas

« Reply #12798 on: March 08, 2017, 03:49:27 pm »

I pre-ordered that one and Mask of Truth, too! It looks really interesting. Apparently that series has been around for quite some time.

Yeah, I saw a lot of folks were excited when they were announced. Looking forward to seeing what it's like in-hand! Haven't gotten the sequel yet, but if they do a nice box, too, I'll probably give in ;)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #12799 on: March 08, 2017, 04:18:55 pm »
Ohh! And I noticed you added Ys I and II for the DS to your collection! Did you get a chance to try that yet?

I blazed through both of those in a weekend; both were so addicting!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12800 on: March 08, 2017, 04:31:21 pm »

Are there any other games in the series, or similar RPGs that use this gameplay system?

I found the gameplay in this game very addicting. But at the same time, was disappointed in the size, and scope of the story and world in which you played. If someone could take this gameplay, and put into a more epic story and backdrop, we'd have a helluva RPG on our hands.

Any suggestions?

desocietas

« Reply #12801 on: March 08, 2017, 05:45:09 pm »
Ohh! And I noticed you added Ys I and II for the DS to your collection! Did you get a chance to try that yet?

I blazed through both of those in a weekend; both were so addicting!

Not yet, though I was eyeing it last night when cleaning up my desk. Might fire it up tonight if I don't go back to Tearaway this evening :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #12802 on: March 08, 2017, 05:47:10 pm »

Are there any other games in the series, or similar RPGs that use this gameplay system?

I found the gameplay in this game very addicting. But at the same time, was disappointed in the size, and scope of the story and world in which you played. If someone could take this gameplay, and put into a more epic story and backdrop, we'd have a helluva RPG on our hands.

Any suggestions?

Have you played the other Ys games? I've only played Ys Seven and Oath of Felghana, but I think the whole series goes with the more action-oriented battle system from what I've seen. Kashell or the others might have better thoughts! I haven't played Ys: The Ark of Napishtim yet.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12803 on: March 08, 2017, 08:21:41 pm »
^ Yeah, I played one of the early ones, and I hated how the battle-system was basically just run into your enemies and hope you have more HPs.

And I used to own the SNES one, but gameplay is TERRIBLE on that one. It's like the entire game runs on fast-forward, and your "sword" is a tooth-pick.

Which is why I was asking if any of other Ys games uses Ark of Napishtim's gameplay.

maximo310

« Reply #12804 on: March 08, 2017, 10:35:52 pm »
The Ys III remake, Oath of Felghana is fantastic, uses the same engine/battle system, and scales up nicely with difficulty ( except for some bosses in Nightmare/Inferno mode). You can get it on PC/PSP

Ys Origin has a similar engine as well, although the difficulty scaling is not as good. That one's only on PC atm, but a ps4/vita port should be released this year.

There are also Ys III and Ys IV remakes on the PS2 that were published by Taito in Japan only, but they seem to be pretty subpar remakes for the most part, so I'd probably skip them unless you wanted to play through every single game.

If you're looking for a bigger world/story, apparently Ys VIII will fulfill that premise, even with a different battle system, and that should be releasing later this year for the PS4/Vita as well ( with the PS4 version apparently being the definitive version according to the developers).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:37:44 pm by maximo310 »

kashell

« Reply #12805 on: March 09, 2017, 08:50:59 am »
I thought the Vortex of Canaan setting was pretty awesome. Ys VI is the only one I've played through three times (twice on PS2, once on PSP). It's my favorite in the series.

I'll echo Oath in Felghana being the most similar. It's a blast. I haven't played Origins yet, but it looks like it's kind in the same spirit as Oath in Felghana.

Ys VII and Memories of Celceta are great, but they're purely action based. There isn't any platforming.

soera

« Reply #12806 on: March 09, 2017, 09:38:03 am »
Ys books I & II was the game of my life when I was little. III on the SNES was definitely terrible. I have IV but havent had much time to start it ... only got like an hour into it.

The DS I & II was weird to play with the dual screens. Napishtim is great. I really like the new Origins as well.

desocietas

« Reply #12807 on: March 09, 2017, 10:03:06 am »
I read that the DS version of I & II is pretty bad. Should I bother with it if I own the game (Chronicles+) on Steam?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #12808 on: March 09, 2017, 10:09:08 am »
Folks who stream playing games, what software do you use?  I'm looking at Xsplit and buying the Hauppauge HD PVR 60 Gaming Edition, and maybe a AV to HDMI converter.

I have the capability of making some pre-recorded stuff and upload the videos after editing, but it'd be nice to have something that I can just stream with instead of doing video editing.

desocietas

« Reply #12809 on: March 09, 2017, 11:05:59 am »
Folks who stream playing games, what software do you use?  I'm looking at Xsplit and buying the Hauppauge HD PVR 60 Gaming Edition, and maybe a AV to HDMI converter.

I have the capability of making some pre-recorded stuff and upload the videos after editing, but it'd be nice to have something that I can just stream with instead of doing video editing.

I use OBS Studio: https://obsproject.com/

It's free, there are a lot of guides online for how to customize and set it up, and it's a common software for many broadcasters, from those just starting to those who have been streaming for years professionally as a career. Xsplit is good, but I found OBS to be more user-friendly and the best option when you want to see if you even *like* streaming. Recording/editing isn't really my thing (too lazy), but I really like live streaming when I have the time and energy to do it.

In any case, Xsplit usually has free trials and such, so if you're really interested in trying it, definitely try it while it's free first before deciding.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas