Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1672304 times)

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #12975 on: April 19, 2017, 11:17:20 am »
Contemplating quitting my Wii U collecting goal for the 5th time this month. I'm looking at several shovelware games going for well over $100, plus a bunch of other stupid stuff. Even GameStop has upped the price of Hello Kitty to $100. This whole idea is just so dumb I don't know I'd waste the money on a bunch of games I don't even care to have. 61 games to go, I could still say screw it and sell off the shovelware crap, or keep pushing forward. The whole thing has really put a dampener on my ability to just pick up games that I actually would like to play because I can't really afford to do both.  :-\
Looking at your collection and what's out there, my count is 71 games to go.  69 if you don't count the 2 games that aren't out yet.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:18:52 am by ignition365 »

soera

« Reply #12976 on: April 19, 2017, 11:33:30 am »
Contemplating quitting my Wii U collecting goal for the 5th time this month. I'm looking at several shovelware games going for well over $100, plus a bunch of other stupid stuff. Even GameStop has upped the price of Hello Kitty to $100. This whole idea is just so dumb I don't know I'd waste the money on a bunch of games I don't even care to have. 61 games to go, I could still say screw it and sell off the shovelware crap, or keep pushing forward. The whole thing has really put a dampener on my ability to just pick up games that I actually would like to play because I can't really afford to do both.  :-\

Going for complete sets can be a daunting task. Ask most people here that have done that or are doing it. You either have to be all the way in or its not going to work. Ive been down that road a few times. I went for a complete NES lic/unlic cart set and stopped about 30 games from the goal. I swapped toward a set I was more interested in which was SMS and after about 2 years or so, I finished it. Now that Im working on PS4 and just a drop over 400 titles in, its a struggle. But I have serious love for the PS4 so its not a difficult struggle. You need to determine just how much the system and the complete set means to you. With only 70 games to go, you at least have a finish line. And as much as the titles are going up in price now, they will drop. The demand will go away soon. Once the switch is available readily, the Wii U will go just like every other previous console ... in the bargain bin.

Flashback2012

« Reply #12977 on: April 19, 2017, 11:37:14 am »

Besides Hello Kitty I'm morbidly curious as to which other shovelware games are commanding up to $100.  :o

Warmsignal

« Reply #12978 on: April 19, 2017, 11:39:46 am »
Looking at your collection and what's out there, my count is 71 games to go.  69 if you don't count the 2 games that aren't out yet.

I don't count variants or multi-version games, just unique titles. Plus I have several I just haven't cataloged yet, and yeah, I wasn't counting Darksiders, Cars 3, or Axiom Verge until they come out.

« Reply #12979 on: April 19, 2017, 11:42:16 am »

I don't count variants or multi-version games, just unique titles. Plus I have several I just haven't cataloged yet, and yeah, I wasn't counting Darksiders, Cars 3, or Axiom Verge until they come out.
What are multi-version games?  My list is populated from Wikipedia's list of physical Wii U games released in NA.

Warmsignal

« Reply #12980 on: April 19, 2017, 11:45:33 am »

Besides Hello Kitty I'm morbidly curious as to which other shovelware games are commanding up to $100.  :o

Croods Prehistoric Party and Turbo Stunt Squad. Titles that are dirt cheap on any other platform. Ironically shovelware came in very low print runs for the Wii U, I guess because they knew no casual gamers bought the console.

Warmsignal

« Reply #12981 on: April 19, 2017, 11:59:43 am »

What are multi-version games?  My list is populated from Wikipedia's list of physical Wii U games released in NA.

Like NSBMU, NSMBU + Luigi, NSLU... I guess you might call that a variant. Also, different starter parks for the same toys-to-life game? I recounted and came up with 62 left. I have 4 more in addition to my collection. Maybe they left some cancelled games in that list? I think there were a few kick starter games that didn't make it out, then there was Fatal Frame which was relegated to download only.

kashell

« Reply #12982 on: April 19, 2017, 12:01:21 pm »
Well, let me ask you this.

Why the Wii U? What drew you to it? Do you still feel the same way about the console, its history, its legacy, etc? If it's all still important to you, keep at it.

« Reply #12983 on: April 19, 2017, 12:13:47 pm »

Like NSBMU, NSMBU + Luigi, NSLU... I guess you might call that a variant. Also, different starter parks for the same toys-to-life game? I recounted and came up with 62 left. I have 4 more in addition to my collection. Maybe they left some cancelled games in that list? I think there were a few kick starter games that didn't make it out, then there was Fatal Frame which was relegated to download only.
Here's my list I'm using.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DsMlCOtXUV6mRQ7ShhnH2624XmDL_uO_5J_Ss0-EaPI/edit?usp=sharing

Updated it with your latest additions.  As far as I can tell, all of these games were released.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:24:17 pm by ignition365 »

Flashback2012

« Reply #12984 on: April 19, 2017, 12:14:08 pm »
Croods Prehistoric Party and Turbo Stunt Squad. Titles that are dirt cheap on any other platform. Ironically shovelware came in very low print runs for the Wii U, I guess because they knew no casual gamers bought the console.

I just looked those up on Gamestop and they're wanting $50 each for them.  :o

I looked up the trade values on them as well. They'll only give you $7.70 store credit (if you're a PRO member) for each of them and turn right around and sell them for $49.99, possibly with no original case or book, for a $42.49 profit. DAMN.  :P

kashell

« Reply #12985 on: April 19, 2017, 12:15:17 pm »

I looked up the trade values on them as well. They'll only give you $7.70 store credit (if you're a PRO member) for each of them and turn right around and sell them for $49.99, possibly with no original case or book, for a $42.49 profit. DAMN.  :P

That's dirty. I'm going to create a new hashtag as a result.

Hashtag, StopGameStop.

Warmsignal

« Reply #12986 on: April 19, 2017, 05:18:03 pm »

Here's my list I'm using.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DsMlCOtXUV6mRQ7ShhnH2624XmDL_uO_5J_Ss0-EaPI/edit?usp=sharing

Updated it with your latest additions.  As far as I can tell, all of these games were released.

Fast Racing Neo was either canceled, or still yet to release in physical form, and I already have Sonic & Sega Al-stars Racing Transformed and Super Mario Maker. My list was not counting games not yet released, so Darksiders and Cars 3. Subtract those five would bring your list to 63, did a re-count on my list yet again and got 63 this time. Mystery solved.

Warmsignal

« Reply #12987 on: April 19, 2017, 05:33:56 pm »
Well, let me ask you this.

Why the Wii U? What drew you to it? Do you still feel the same way about the console, its history, its legacy, etc? If it's all still important to you, keep at it.

A few reasons. Primarily, I'm a Nintendo fan and the console delivered in first party. Secondly, I like underdog consoles and I feel it wasn't given a fair shake. Third, the complete library is so small, it seems totally doable so it's not like most console libraries where there's an endless sea of shovelware involved.

I said I'd never go for a full set of anything but this was the one opportunity. I dunno how those of you do it on a console like PS4, or NES.... I'm finding it brutal with this tiny Wii U library.

So they're making $92.30 now on Hello Kitty? I wouldn't even be mad if they'd order in an new printing of these and sell at original MSRP as "pre-owned" like they did with Calling on the Wii. The fact that a few individual sellers on eBay now have the power to influence a giant chain store is sad. We're seeing that more since they got into classic games. They let eBay dictate their price points there, so same story on the modern games I guess.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:35:54 pm by Warmsignal »

Flashback2012

« Reply #12988 on: April 20, 2017, 01:32:49 am »
So they're making $92.30 now on Hello Kitty? I wouldn't even be mad if they'd order in an new printing of these and sell at original MSRP as "pre-owned" like they did with Calling on the Wii. The fact that a few individual sellers on eBay now have the power to influence a giant chain store is sad. We're seeing that more since they got into classic games. They let eBay dictate their price points there, so same story on the modern games I guess.

Well if it was PUR member buying and selling it, the sell price is $89.99 and the buy price is $16.50 so they'd ONLY be making a "meager" profit of $73.49.  8)

Surely a GamesQuest Direct reprint of Hello Kitty Kruisers would agitate the flippers/scalpers and specullectors but I don't know how much damage it would do as it's starting to become set in that the game is "teh rarez" in most gaming circles. To think I've had ample chances to buy it and a few of the other niche/shovelware WiiU games for shovelware prices. Oh well.  :P

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12989 on: April 20, 2017, 10:51:50 am »
Whats up general topic! How are yall doing? Hey anyone here use discord? Any thoughts on setting up a VGC one for quicker chatting? (just been thinking how often i'm on there and not lurking the forums here and I miss the general chat a lot with yall)