Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1530690 times)

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #15030 on: February 07, 2020, 11:58:37 am »
Some unfortunate news. My PS3 Slim, which I got brand new for Christmas in 2008 has finally bit the dust; the disc drive which was rock solid without any signs of wearing out just decided to stop reading discs completely the other day. I've tried pretty much everything I can short of replacing the drive, and it still won't read any discs. What makes this so sad is my relationship with this specific console.

I know that might sound silly, but my PS3 Slim is the consoles I've owned the second longest (my N64 is the longest I've owned a console, and after 24-years it still works). I've had countless amazing experiences on it, my fiancee got back into gaming on it thanks to Demon's Souls and Oblivion, and just all the memories I have around it make it breaking like this all the more sad.

I'm entertaining the idea of replacing the drive, but I'm almost wondering if it would be wiser just to get a new PS3. I guess I'll think about it some more, but overall it's a real shame since the next game I was going to play was on it, hence how I found out the disc drive went to shit.

PS. I still plan on doing a game room tour. I've been fairly busy the last week and haven't had time to put the finishing touches on my game room for the tour. I actually shot a 95% complete version of the room just for fun, and if I'm unable to get the room to a 100% finished state I'll probably end up just posting that. Only problem is the quality of that video isn't the best since it was shot at night and also I didn't intend on it being the final cut. I guess we'll see.

« Reply #15031 on: February 07, 2020, 12:01:41 pm »
Sorry to hear that!  It always sucks when an old console goes down.  It may be worth it to wait on PS5 news, especially with all the BC rumblings.  If it’s PS3 or PS2 BC I’d seriously consider a Day One purchase.

« Reply #15032 on: February 07, 2020, 12:08:24 pm »
Sorry to hear that!  It always sucks when an old console goes down.  It may be worth it to wait on PS5 news, especially with all the BC rumblings.  If it’s PS3 or PS2 BC I’d seriously consider a Day One purchase.

Yeah, it sucks, but all well. Yeah, I thought about that too, although I'm not sure I can wait that long before touching my PS3 library again. I'm also concerned that the backwards compatibility might be compromised much like the PS3's compatibility with the PS2 and PS1; specifically I remember a lot of PS1 games having strange visual glitches and some of the loading times were 2 to 5x longer. But I agree, if they announce complete backwards compatibility I'm jumping into a PS5 day one, which might also solve my PS3 problem depending on what happens between now and when the PS5 comes out.

kashell

« Reply #15033 on: February 07, 2020, 12:48:53 pm »
Damn, that sucks. How tough is it to replace the drive?

Also, which game were on the PS3 were you planning on playing next?

« Reply #15034 on: February 07, 2020, 01:10:28 pm »
The one time I replaced the drive on a PS3 (and it was a fat BC one) I had to bring over a circuit board from the transplant system because it was coded for the drive so the drive wouldn't work without the board.  Hopefully slim models don't have that same issue.

telly

« Reply #15035 on: February 07, 2020, 02:36:54 pm »
I replaced the disc drive in my PS3 Slim that my brother and I got in 2010 last year. It wasn't too bad. I can PM you the specific drive I bought (it was $35).

Was able to play through Tales of Xillia after I fixed it, so I've only put about 50 hours on the console since I replaced it, but it has worked.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #15036 on: February 07, 2020, 02:42:37 pm »
The one I replaced the drive on got a YLoD within a few months, so my wife refuses to play any Tales game because she was most of the way through Tales of Graces f when it died.

telly

« Reply #15037 on: February 07, 2020, 03:05:28 pm »
Yeah who knows. Last time I used my PS3 was a few weeks ago. Played Tales of Xillia in May/June. Mine didn't YLOD it just wouldn't play PS3 games.
Currently Playing:

« Reply #15038 on: February 08, 2020, 12:46:52 am »
Damn, that sucks. How tough is it to replace the drive?

Also, which game were on the PS3 were you planning on playing next?

I don't think it's terribly hard, but that's what I thought about the PS2 slim's laser and that ended up being a nightmare.

I was going to play Gran Turismo 6; I've really been in a racing sim mood and it's the GT game I have the least amount of experience with.

« Reply #15039 on: February 08, 2020, 12:48:13 am »
I replaced the disc drive in my PS3 Slim that my brother and I got in 2010 last year. It wasn't too bad. I can PM you the specific drive I bought (it was $35).

Was able to play through Tales of Xillia after I fixed it, so I've only put about 50 hours on the console since I replaced it, but it has worked.

If you wouldn't mind. I'm going to look at some youtube How To vids on it and see if it's worth the trouble.

kashell

« Reply #15040 on: February 17, 2020, 04:43:15 pm »
I became an uncle on Saturday! <3

telly

« Reply #15041 on: February 18, 2020, 08:49:03 am »
Awwww! Niece or nephew!?
Currently Playing:

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15042 on: February 18, 2020, 12:34:19 pm »
Congrats.

kashell

« Reply #15043 on: February 18, 2020, 05:39:15 pm »
Nephew. And he's pretty damn cute.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15044 on: February 18, 2020, 09:28:03 pm »
Nephew. And he's pretty damn cute.

Congrats, brotha!  Now, it’s your duty as an uncle to give him a shitty nickname and tell him dirty-ish jokes.