Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1567877 times)

soera

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #1530 on: February 08, 2014, 11:41:41 am »
So they're repros that work on PC? With an emulator? Do they work on the actual Master System, too?

They are basically 3rd party 3D glasses. They will plug into the SMS 3D adapter just like the official ones.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1531 on: February 08, 2014, 12:02:03 pm »
So they're repros that work on PC? With an emulator? Do they work on the actual Master System, too?

They are basically 3rd party 3D glasses. They will plug into the SMS 3D adapter just like the official ones.

Well that sounds even better if it works both on PC and the real deal. And cheaper to boot! I think this may be my next purchase.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1532 on: February 08, 2014, 12:29:07 pm »
So I'm a bit confused on the term "Roguelike". I've heard it said that they are old-style western RPGS with randomly generated dungeons.

But then I've also heard people group PC-style action-RPGs like Diablo and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance into this category.

Can someone clarify this for me?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1533 on: February 08, 2014, 12:35:52 pm »
Man, I love NES boxes. Pure artwork. No stupid color schemes or logos to get in the way. They look like VHS boxes.

90snostalga

« Reply #1534 on: February 08, 2014, 01:08:44 pm »
Man, I love NES boxes. Pure artwork. No stupid color schemes or logos to get in the way. They look like VHS boxes.

Second...  NES, SNES and N64 are my top 3 favorite box arts  :)

90snostalga

« Reply #1535 on: February 08, 2014, 01:10:15 pm »

SOERA - you have A LOT of time on your hands; eh?!

Stay at home dad:)

HAHAHA!

HEY!

Bradley -

Does your wife ride that sweet, sweet HD around town with you sitting behind her :o   :-[   :'(

I don't understand what that means or who Bradley is lol.  But I'm a stay at home dad as well so I understand Soera's pain.  I've just been scared to admit it

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1536 on: February 08, 2014, 01:11:52 pm »
So I'm a bit confused on the term "Roguelike". I've heard it said that they are old-style western RPGS with randomly generated dungeons.

But then I've also heard people group PC-style action-RPGs like Diablo and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance into this category.

"Roguelike" comes from the game "Rogue"...

...it's origin & meaning are, quite literally, *that* simple (as in 'A Game That's Like ROGUE').

While it's true that the original game Rogue was developed in the West...over the years - it has lost that connotation of being strictly limited to Western games; as there are now also plenty of roguelikes that are developed, popular, and played in Japan/the East.

Mainly, some common elements shared by roguelikes would/could be:

- steep learning curves,

- Permadeath,

- dungeon crawling & randomly generated dungeons,

- losing all EXP, loot, money, and levels gained upon dying,

- starting over at level one when you die and/or leave / re-enter a dungeon, etc.

The game that I'm playing now (The Guided Fate Paradox) is a modern roguelike.

Some other better known roguelikes would include Azure Dreams & the Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon games.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #1537 on: February 08, 2014, 04:10:08 pm »

"Roguelike" comes from the game "Rogue"...

...it's origin & meaning are, quite literally, *that* simple (as in 'A Game That's Like ROGUE').

While it's true that the original game Rogue was developed in the West...over the years - it has lost that connotation of being strictly limited to Western games; as there are now also plenty of roguelikes that are developed, popular, and played in Japan/the East.

Mainly, some common elements shared by roguelikes would/could be:

- steep learning curves,

- Permadeath,

- dungeon crawling & randomly generated dungeons,

- losing all EXP, loot, money, and levels gained upon dying,

- starting over at level one when you die and/or leave / re-enter a dungeon, etc.

The game that I'm playing now (The Guided Fate Paradox) is a modern roguelike.

Some other better known roguelikes would include Azure Dreams & the Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon games.
Other modern PC Roguelikes are:

Dungeons of Dredmor (A VERY humorous take on the genre. Made in Canada, with lots of cheese. My intro to the genre.)
Tales of Maj'Eyal (Fantasy genre, has been around for several years, very tough but easy to pick up)
Sword of the Stars: The Pit (Sci-fi, just started playing this recently, very fun)

scott

« Reply #1538 on: February 08, 2014, 04:14:55 pm »
Isn't Torneko: The Last Hope also a roguelike?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #1539 on: February 08, 2014, 04:21:41 pm »
Yep.

pacpix

« Reply #1540 on: February 08, 2014, 04:38:14 pm »
If you are interested in reading a playthrough of a Roguelike the CRPGaddict played through Nethack not too long ago.
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/search/label/Nethack
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1541 on: February 09, 2014, 03:31:45 pm »
See!

This is just another reason why I love NIS America (as a company + for the way that it treats & handles their customers:) so much  ;D

As I'm sure that most of us here already know - when a company fucks up a game/rushes it out the door to meet a deadline...far before it's ready for a release = IT COSTS THEM $ to release a 'patch' to set things right.  I'm not just talking about chump change here, either -but- it can run up into the tens-of-thousands of dollars.

Normally, because it's so expensive - most companies will do the bare minimum (the least amount of work/content required to fix the issue/make the game playable).

Considering this...most companies won't push out a patch (read: spend the $) unless they absolutely have no choice (like in the case of having to fix a glitch or something that renders the game un-playable).

Click-on the link below to see how NIS America handles their patches  ;)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/687861-disgaea-d2-a-brighter-darkness/68463278

As far as I'm concerned = shit like this earns a company (IMO, at least) one of the most important things (Just ask M$; 'cause they damned sure lost some with their E3 reveal of the XBone:) - it's called "Customer Good-Will"...and it goes a long way  ;)

ROGUELIKES

I thought of a couple of other (what I consider to be fun & decent) roguelikes (for/on the DS); that can be found pretty cheaply and easily if anyone wants to try one, doesn't want to spend a lot (in case they *don't* like it), and has access to a DS.  They are:

Izuna: The Unemployed Ninja,

Izuna 2: Return of the Unemployed Ninja, and

Shiren the Wanderer.

In addition, of course, to the previously mentioned Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon games...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1542 on: February 09, 2014, 04:34:33 pm »
As I'm sure that most of us here already know - when a company fucks up a game/rushes it out the door to meet a deadline...far before it's ready for a release = IT COSTS THEM $ to release a 'patch' to set things right.  I'm not just talking about chump change here, either -but- it can run up into the tens-of-thousands of dollars.

Normally, because it's so expensive - most companies will do the bare minimum (the least amount of work/content required to fix the issue/make the game playable).

Considering this...most companies won't push out a patch (read: spend the $) unless they absolutely have no choice (like in the case of having to fix a glitch or something that renders the game un-playable).

that convenit you wrote that today, because speaking of game breaking glitches that render a game unplayable

http://www.destructoid.com/arkham-origins-progression-blocking-bugs-won-t-be-fixed-270256.phtml

foxhack

« Reply #1543 on: February 09, 2014, 04:58:04 pm »
Who do they think they are?

GEARBOX?

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1544 on: February 09, 2014, 05:18:00 pm »
The worst part of all these glitched half-finished games of our current generation is that in 10 years from now if you pick up one of these games and try to play it you will be out of luck. Unless the company releases a revised version of the game through retail there are numerous games that are going to be unplayable in the future because updates won't be available any longer.

I guess some people might figure out a way to hack the current systems and add patches themselves that you can download. Kind of like how there are still people keeping old Phantasy Star Online servers working for Dreamcast and GameCube.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01