Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1544680 times)

Warmsignal

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #15525 on: January 19, 2021, 09:36:53 am »
I recently got a new TV for modern gaming / TV show watching; a 50" UHDTV. I've just jumped from 2007 to 2020 in terms of TV technology. It's nice to finally have a "smart" TV, my only complaint is the thing takes WAY too long to load it's own damn settings menus. Like, I have to wait a good 5 seconds for it to load general picture settings. Did they dig up a bunch of a Pentuim II chips out of a landfill to power these things? What the hell, LG? What happened to instantaneous on-board menus?

« Reply #15526 on: January 19, 2021, 10:12:19 am »
Per my experience, any built in smart features kinda suck and you are better off using the apps built in to other external devices - be it dedicated dongles (Roku, FireStick, etc) or through your consoles.

I've been teetering on the edge of 4K for a while now - probably going to bite that bullet when I finally decide to get a PS5 or XSX.

tripredacus

« Reply #15527 on: January 19, 2021, 10:56:23 am »
All the smart TVs are the same tech as cell phones. They just have giant screens. Unfortunately, they are still designed as television and not designed as phones or tablets. So the UX is not as good.

I haven't gone with 4K displays yet although I am 4K ready. I have a 4K AVR and a UHD player. My computer can probably do it but there are some things I consider:

1. Display distance. This is a common chart for size vs distance, but it is a general rule. I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 30" screen at ten feet, so the chart does not match up with me personally. My maximum viewing distance is around 10 feet. Placement of set is limited to one wall, where my other TV is situated, mostly due to sun traversal and heat paths in the house.

2. Due to the short distance, there is a maximum display size that I can use because a display that is too large ends up causing visible edge issues. Currently at 40", I presume a 55" is going to be around the maximum size I could use in that space. I am thinking that a 4K of larger size at greater distance would be most optimal.

3. Features and price. I have no desire to have a TV with a computer in it, at least a Linux computer like current CE 4K TV have, so that leaves only monitors. And while 4K monitors are competitively priced with 4K TVs, it is only to a certain screen size. This is where the cost savings of the CE TV takes over and the price is much lower than monitors. This is because the companies that make the included software in the smart TV pays out royalties to the TV manufacturer. This expected royalty calculation per unit is why 4K TVs are able to be lower in price. This business model also exists with computers (why your Dell has McAfee or whatever installed) or even in modern game consoles. The royalty earnings allow for a manufacturer to sell a device at or below cost because they will make up the losses with the royalties. Non-smart 4K displays, having no extra software installed, have none of these cost savings, which is apparent when you get to the larger screens.

4. Usefulness. There isn't anything that I have or know of that requires 4K. UHDs and anything else I can use will downscale to 1080p and at 40" the only difference I can see between 4K is that 4K downscaled has slightly sharp or bright edges due to image compression. By and large it is not really noticeable.

So I can't really see myself bothering with a 4K screen anytime soon unless there comes a situation where it is required for something.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15528 on: January 24, 2021, 11:52:24 pm »
Anyone here a wrestling fan or used to be?

The nWo has been announced for this year's WWE Hall of Fame!

I was a huge WCW fan back in the day. I was always front and center for Nitro each and every Monday Night (WWF Raw was recording on the VCR while I was watching Nitro). nWo 4-Life, brother. I will be ordering The WWE Network just to see their induction. Anyone else?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 01:29:46 am by burningdoom »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15529 on: January 25, 2021, 11:05:11 am »

I was a huge WCW fan back in the day. I was always front and center for Nitro each and every Monday Night (WWF Raw was recording on the VCR while I was watching Nitro). nWo 4-Life, brother. I will be ordering The WWE Network just to see their induction. Anyone else?

I was a huge fan back in the day.
It’s Toooo Sweeeet!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15530 on: January 25, 2021, 11:38:44 am »

It’s Toooo Sweeeet!

I tried to put the metal horns emoji, but apparently our boards don't recognize it.

« Reply #15531 on: January 25, 2021, 01:17:42 pm »

It was supposed to have happened last year but Wrestlemania weekend was canceled since the pandemic kicked in not long after it was suppose to have happened. I had actually tickets and the weekend plans to go to Tampa but that didn't happen so the entire HOF class from last year will be inducted this year. Not sure how it will be done but as I said last year, its kind of a bummer that Eric Bishoff isnt with them but very exciting. While I started watching just 2 months before WCW folded so way past the prime of the NWO and the Attitude Era, the mark they left on wrestling cannot be denied.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15532 on: January 25, 2021, 01:56:08 pm »

It was supposed to have happened last year but Wrestlemania weekend was canceled since the pandemic kicked in not long after it was suppose to have happened. I had actually tickets and the weekend plans to go to Tampa but that didn't happen so the entire HOF class from last year will be inducted this year. Not sure how it will be done but as I said last year, its kind of a bummer that Eric Bishoff isnt with them but very exciting. While I started watching just 2 months before WCW folded so way past the prime of the NWO and the Attitude Era, the mark they left on wrestling cannot be denied.

Oof. WCW was rough that last year or so.

« Reply #15533 on: January 25, 2021, 02:50:52 pm »

I've seen, heard and read many aspects of WCW 2000 and to say rough would be an understatement. By the time I started watching which was actually 20 years ago this month, they were kind of turning things around however the writing was on the wall once the higher ups in Time Warner after the merger with Turner Broadcasting wanted nothing to do with wrestling and that's despite Bishoff wanting to do a reboot of sorts however they were worth little to nothing that Vince came in and took em. From what I recall it was mostly for the WCW video library.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15534 on: January 25, 2021, 03:14:44 pm »

I've seen, heard and read many aspects of WCW 2000 and to say rough would be an understatement. By the time I started watching which was actually 20 years ago this month, they were kind of turning things around however the writing was on the wall once the higher ups in Time Warner after the merger with Turner Broadcasting wanted nothing to do with wrestling and that's despite Bishoff wanting to do a reboot of sorts however they were worth little to nothing that Vince came in and took em. From what I recall it was mostly for the WCW video library.

Dude, you're a real wrestling fan. You have to dig for such information. I knew all that because I was a WCW fanatic. Do you listen to the Bischoff podcast "83 Weeks"? Lots of great info to learn from him, there.

What's funny us most people put the blame on Russo for WCW shutting down, while the merger was the real culprit. Though I'm sure his antics didn't help.

tripredacus

« Reply #15535 on: January 25, 2021, 04:12:31 pm »

It’s Toooo Sweeeet!

I tried to put the metal horns emoji, but apparently our boards don't recognize it.

You'll have to do it the old fashioned way:

\m/

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15536 on: January 25, 2021, 04:16:59 pm »
\m/

« Reply #15537 on: January 25, 2021, 05:20:12 pm »

Dude, you're a real wrestling fan. You have to dig for such information. I knew all that because I was a WCW fanatic. Do you listen to the Bischoff podcast "83 Weeks"? Lots of great info to learn from him, there.

What's funny us most people put the blame on Russo for WCW shutting down, while the merger was the real culprit. Though I'm sure his antics didn't help.

I did some digging over the years even including some bias stuff from WWE in regards to WCW which for years I thought was true but eventually found out was not the case. While I haven't listened to 83 Weeks in sometime, I was listening to every week and that's where I got alot of my information about WCW and what led to their downfall. Russo's antics was not the main cause of their demise however giving him free reign over the booking was a mistake. As many have said, the reason he was successful in the WWF during the Attitude Era was Vince McMahon as a filter. The ideas were there but the final decision comes down to Vinnie Mac but in WCW, there was no such thing. He came in and did his things and they weren't happy. Despite this, they brought him back alongside Eric for that reboot they did where they stripped the titles from everyone and well lots of horseshit in 2000 from the booking, the WCW Title changing hands like it was candy but ultimately the merger between Time Warner and Turner Broadcasting was the final nail. I believe that had that not happened then WCW would have still been around. The extent to their livelihood is an unknown but Turner had a soft spot for wrestling and it could have stuck around. I'm gonna stop there because I could write more but I went on a bit longer than I wanted to.

Warmsignal

« Reply #15538 on: January 25, 2021, 09:42:42 pm »
Collecting memories
Like opening the wound
I'm picking deals apart again
You all assume
I'm safe here in my gaming room
Unless I try to buy again...

I don't want to be the one
The re-seller's always choose
'Cause inside I realize
My wallet gets abused

I don't know what's worth collecting for
Or why I need CIB
I don't know why I surf eBay
And buy shit I don't need
I don't know how I got this way
I know it's not alright
So, I'm breaking the habit
I'm breaking the habit tonight

I think that's how the Linkin Park song goes, right?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:27:01 pm by Warmsignal »

kashell

« Reply #15539 on: January 26, 2021, 07:31:37 am »
It took me until the final line to realize what you were parodying, haha.