Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1532228 times)

tripredacus

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #16110 on: January 27, 2022, 09:20:25 am »
I could never part ways with my US Saturn, despite not having doubt any new games for it for... maybe a decade now? I think the last game I was able to get for it was Shanghai Triple Threat. I will keep it forever. But I did want to be able to play Saturn games and be able to find cheap ones and that was the reason I ended up buying a Japanese Saturn. Since I already had a US Saturn, I was able to just get the console itself since the power cords, hookups and controllers from the US system work on the Japanese one. Japanese games are cheap and so are memory carts. Sure there are some issues like needing to learn to read Japanese.

sworddude

« Reply #16111 on: January 27, 2022, 09:24:03 am »
I could never part ways with my US Saturn, despite not having doubt any new games for it for... maybe a decade now? I think the last game I was able to get for it was Shanghai Triple Threat. I will keep it forever. But I did want to be able to play Saturn games and be able to find cheap ones and that was the reason I ended up buying a Japanese Saturn. Since I already had a US Saturn, I was able to just get the console itself since the power cords, hookups and controllers from the US system work on the Japanese one. Japanese games are cheap and so are memory carts. Sure there are some issues like needing to learn to read Japanese.

Depends quite some genre's that barely need japanese text at all, beat em ups, 2d fighting games shoot em ups action platformers you name it. not to mention that some of these arcade esk games have fully english menu's and sometimes story plus voice acting wich is just madness to me

rpg's ye those are pretty much unplayable although I've seen people still have fun playing them with the assistance of the web. These non rpg titles are however usually not cheap as the disadvantage but the non exclusives are at least far cheaper than them western counter parts.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 10:04:39 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16112 on: January 27, 2022, 12:38:15 pm »
Why not just had it modded so you can at least play the games? I'd rather play the games on actual hardware than bother with Saturn emulation.

I don't like going into the grey area of emulation.

I do not know how big your saturn collection was in the past for you to have so much talk about it.

But So many people in the hobby do it, plus what money is sega missing they mostly seem to focus on genesis. Your not hurting anyone for playing some old games. plenty of these saturn and even more popular snes genesis releases will never have a modern legit way to play them. It seems like the only way for you to play saturn is to buy it physical while there are affordable options to have acces to it.

Plus if where talking saturn most of the good stuff stayed in Japan withouth any form of translation. Now you have a shot to play those games in english. especially in those cases they didn't even give the western consumer an opportunity otherwise.  It doesn't always have to be legit if you really like to play some saturn games.

Emulation/ jailbreaking current or last gen I get. but for older stuff to retro when the earnings are non existent you ain't doing any harm to the industry.

Cool story.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16113 on: January 27, 2022, 01:00:03 pm »

This was my 2nd Saturn. The laser in my first one died some years back, and I stupidly sold all my games when that happened. Now, with this Saturn, I only have 2 games: Virtua Cop and Galactic Attack.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16114 on: January 27, 2022, 01:01:01 pm »
Yeah, I've been thinking about getting a Satiator or something.

That sounds like an adult toy, lol.

« Reply #16115 on: January 27, 2022, 02:11:17 pm »
Yeah, I've been thinking about getting a Satiator or something.

That sounds like an adult toy, lol.
https://www.satiator.net/Satiator_p_12.html

It's not cheap and that's my deterrent, but I'm confident one day will come that I'll decide that I want to play games, but not display them.  As it is, my collection might be worth more than it's insured for at this point.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16116 on: January 27, 2022, 02:25:32 pm »
No new modern games releasing Jan/Feb for me so be nice to focus on some retro game purchases. Been a while since I could focus on them.

Horizon Zero Dawn?

« Reply #16117 on: January 27, 2022, 03:35:01 pm »
No new modern games releasing Jan/Feb for me so be nice to focus on some retro game purchases. Been a while since I could focus on them.

Horizon Zero Dawn?
Forbidden west.

I'm interested, but I'm not paying $70.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16118 on: January 27, 2022, 04:26:05 pm »

Horizon Zero Dawn?
Forbidden west.

I'm interested, but I'm not paying $70.

Oops. Yeah, PS4 version at Walmart should be $50 tho.

« Reply #16119 on: January 27, 2022, 05:03:22 pm »

Horizon Zero Dawn?

Elden Ring?

Warmsignal

« Reply #16120 on: January 28, 2022, 11:00:57 pm »
My rage buying lately is becoming a bit irresponsible. Why are there so many damn video games? I've no interest in 2/3rds of the games out there that exist, and still I can never find an end to the ones I want to own. Then you've got new releases taunting me, but I just don't do full blown retail on most games. I can't. That would only make me a responsible person who supports products at launch and only owns as many games as I can actually play, and who wants that? Nobody wants that.

Forbidden West.... even though I haven't played the first one, amazing graphics, awesome combat. I MUST HAVE IT.
Edge of Eternity... JRPG that is not made in Japan, KEWL.
ELIX II... role playing game no one's heard of and still getting neat looking sequel, SIGN ME UP.

RICO London... cell shaded FPS.... NUFF SAID.
Away Survival Series... nature game playing as flying squirrel, NEED IT.
Eternal Cylinder... just look at it, A MUST BUY.

Just a handful of games right there, none of which I've bought yet. Even though I've bought about 30 games since new years. I'm not just collecting these things to collect them, I wanna play them! Just decided to plop down my Amazon gift card on a copy of Kena, because my god that game looks amazing.... and in the process of doing so I found a really cool retro style 3D platformer on the Xbox One called Demon Turf.... PHYSICAL GAME, had to have that too.

How do they expect us to play all of this stuff? It's too damn much!! Just. So. Many. Games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16121 on: January 28, 2022, 11:02:07 pm »

Horizon Zero Dawn?

Elden Ring?

I want to like this game. The previews look so cool. But damn are the Souls games frustrating. So I definitely won't be getting it brand-new. Maybe after a price drop or two I'll give it a shot.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16122 on: January 28, 2022, 11:06:41 pm »
I had perfect positive feedback on eBay since 2007. Now I don't.  :(

Not that big of a deal, since it was just a neutral, rather than a negative. But still, it was pristine for so long.

I accidently sent someone the wrong item. I put the wrong shipping printout on the wrong item when doing multiple orders. When it was brought to my attention, I apologized, issued an immediate full refund, and didn't require him to send the wrong item back. Can't win them all, though.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16123 on: January 29, 2022, 10:50:23 pm »
My trusty GBA-SP 101 model is crapping out on me.  :(

It's starting to just reset randomly. I know it's not the rechargeable battery, either, since I replaced that just a year or so back. Damn the luck.

sworddude

« Reply #16124 on: January 31, 2022, 07:06:54 am »
My trusty GBA-SP 101 model is crapping out on me.  :(

It's starting to just reset randomly. I know it's not the rechargeable battery, either, since I replaced that just a year or so back. Damn the luck.

perhaps your on and off button is faulty. that's a thing with gba consoles.
Your Stylish Sword Master!