Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1532658 times)

soera

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #8100 on: September 08, 2015, 01:44:25 pm »
The problem with most NES collectors is they are willing to pay the ridiculous amounts people want for these items. Someone just bought Stadium Events a couple of weeks ago on Nintendo Age for $10,000. Thats 10 thousand dollars for a game they probably already own with a different sticker on it (World class track meet).

Its one reason my collecting focus has shifted dramatically. I started the NES a while back but it was getting into the insane money levels and I had to abandon it for sanity's sake. The SMS has items that are probably less common than items like Flintstones 2 and are 100s of dollars cheaper.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8101 on: September 08, 2015, 02:10:18 pm »
I'm at under 50 NES games that I still want. Unfortunately, a few of them are rocketing right now. Chubby Cherrub seems to have gone up another $20 from last year's price, and Faria has probably done about the same. They're both nearing the too expensive territory for me, and neither look like the gameplay is really worth the swelling price tags.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8102 on: September 08, 2015, 02:39:35 pm »
I'm at under 50 NES games that I still want. Unfortunately, a few of them are rocketing right now. Chubby Cherrub seems to have gone up another $20 from last year's price, and Faria has probably done about the same. They're both nearing the too expensive territory for me, and neither look like the gameplay is really worth the swelling price tags.

Chubby Cherub is a stupid game.  Don't spend the money. 

kashell

« Reply #8103 on: September 08, 2015, 04:21:08 pm »
First and foremost, that is terrible news about your friend, FP. Hopefully you're hanging in there. Mental illnesses need more awareness these days and it drives me nuts knowing that some people think that they're false.

I don't collect NES games because I really don't feel the need to. Games that I do like are in collections (Mega Man), have been remade to be exponentially better (Final Fantasy) or are available on a more modern console (Castlevania). That said, I think turf's almost complete collection of games for it is one of the most admirable things on this forum.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8104 on: September 08, 2015, 05:15:05 pm »
That said, I think turf's almost complete collection of games for it is one of the most admirable things on this forum.

Thanks man.  I appreciate that. 

If you haven't already figured it out, now is a horrible time to start collecting NES games.  There are a bunch of folks just like me that are very close to completing a set.  It seems like we all need the same elusive titles too. 

The NES is pricey.  Buy to play.  This shelf filler is expensive. 

karyann

« Reply #8105 on: September 08, 2015, 06:18:04 pm »
I finally framed the amazing postcard that Argyle sent me as part of a trade, and I love the way it looks on my walls! Makes me regret I didn't do it sooner! Thanks again!   :D

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8106 on: September 08, 2015, 07:49:46 pm »
Damn you shelf-fillers. Driving up the prices for everyone.

I think more than that, though, is just the general popularity of the hobby. 10-15 years ago, I could go to the local used record shop, choose from a whole case of NES, Genesis, SNES, and Atari games for about $5-$20 a pop. And that was common.

Since people like Angry Video Game Nerd, Classic Game Room, and Storage Wars has come along; it has caused a spike in popularity for the hobby that just used to not be there.  You can't find most of those carts anywhere for a decent price anymore, it seems (except maybe Atari 2600).

I distinctly remember showing people my collection many years back, and a good majority of them would say things like, "Why play that crap, you know PlayStation and Dreamcast have way better graphics" (which I did own at the time, too). But now, people are legitimately impressed by it.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8107 on: September 08, 2015, 09:22:17 pm »
I can't believe how much it's grown. Apparently, there's nothing else to be doing if you are in your 20s or 30s right now. Was at an annual flea market the other day and saw countless groups of guys with backpacks running around digging through every trace of a Madden. Some of the vendors told us they did have games, but they were the first thing to sell as soon as they set up on day one.

I kinda hate being in the middle of this huge trend. Happened to me a lot as a kid, and it's still happening. It's why I like being such a music fan, this kind of stuff doesn't happen there because music is so specific you don't really have to worry about over saturation, or finite objects that you have to acquire while you still can. You just pick up an album when you feel like it, or play some guitar, or experiment and create something. Music is the opposite of stressful.

karyann

« Reply #8108 on: September 08, 2015, 09:30:21 pm »
I kinda hate being in the middle of this huge trend. Happened to me a lot as a kid, and it's still happening. It's why I like being such a music fan, this kind of stuff doesn't happen there because music is so specific you don't really have to worry about over saturation, or finite objects that you have to acquire while you still can. You just pick up an album when you feel like it, or play some guitar, or experiment and create something. Music is the opposite of stressful.

Now that you mention it, collecting video games has become kinda stressful  :-\ I can't count how many times I've thought "I really musn't forget to set an alarm to be able to pre-order thing X" or "I have to hurry up or else I won't make it to the flea market early enough to have a chance at anything". There's definitely less of the spontaneous thrill.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8109 on: September 08, 2015, 09:54:53 pm »

Now that you mention it, collecting video games has become kinda stressful  :-\ I can't count how many times I've thought "I really musn't forget to set an alarm to be able to pre-order thing X" or "I have to hurry up or else I won't make it to the flea market early enough to have a chance at anything". There's definitely less of the spontaneous thrill.

I'm glad that I'm not really into pre-orders, or collector's editions myself. Amibos and whatnot, that's way too intense for me. :P None of the collecting aspect is really fun anymore for me, except going to game cons where I can just directly find stuff I want, and pay through the nose for it. That sounds bad, but it's come to be just about the only way to have a little fun doing this now.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8110 on: September 09, 2015, 02:06:41 am »
My personal top 25 games I've ever played.

This is not based on critical reception, sales numbers, or popularity. It is purely based on my personal opinion, and what I have played and found to be fun.

I tried to keep it one per franchise, or else it would be full of a whole lot of games from the same franchises (this was hard to do in many cases).

1.   The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - GOTY Edition (XBox 360)
2.   Super Metroid (SNES)
3.   The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
4.   King's Field II (U.S.) (PS1)
5.   Neverwinter Nights (PC)
6.   Super Mario World (SNES)
7.   Contra (NES)
8.   Bionic Commando (NES)
9.   Crystalis (NES)
10.   Resident Evil 2 (PS1)
11.   Halo 2 (XBox)
12.   Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
13.   Red Dead Redemption - GOTY Edition (XBox 360)
14.   Mega Man: Legends (PS1)
15.   Lords of Thunder (TurboGrafx-CD, via Wii Virtual Console)
16.   Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II (XBox)
17.   Descent (PC)
18.   Mega Man 2 (NES)
19.   Chrono Trigger (SNES)
20.   Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (DS)
21.   Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
22.   X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse (SNES)
23.   Viking: Battle For Asgard (XBox 360)
24.   Brutal Legend (XBox 360)
25.   Golden Axe (Arcade/Genesis)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8111 on: September 09, 2015, 04:08:37 am »
My personal top 25 games I've ever played.

This is not based on critical reception, sales numbers, or popularity. It is purely based on my personal opinion, and what I have played and found to be fun.

I tried to keep it one per franchise, or else it would be full of a whole lot of games from the same franchises (this was hard to do in many cases).

1.   The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - GOTY Edition (XBox 360)
2.   Super Metroid (SNES)
3.   The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
4.   King's Field II (U.S.) (PS1)
5.   Neverwinter Nights (PC)
6.   Super Mario World (SNES)
7.   Contra (NES)
8.   Bionic Commando (NES)
9.   Crystalis (NES)
10.   Resident Evil 2 (PS1)
11.   Halo 2 (XBox)
12.   Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
13.   Red Dead Redemption - GOTY Edition (XBox 360)
14.   Mega Man: Legends (PS1)
15.   Lords of Thunder (TurboGrafx-CD, via Wii Virtual Console)
16.   Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II (XBox)
17.   Descent (PC)
18.   Mega Man 2 (NES)
19.   Chrono Trigger (SNES)
20.   Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (DS)
21.   Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
22.   X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse (SNES)
23.   Viking: Battle For Asgard (XBox 360)
24.   Brutal Legend (XBox 360)
25.   Golden Axe (Arcade/Genesis)

*Cries* out loud at the unforgivable & inexplicable lack of love (and...even a *mention* of, for God's Sake) anything from the Shadow Hearts series :'(
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #8112 on: September 09, 2015, 10:15:42 am »
I hate having to bundle up in the summer time. It's wonderfully hot and humid outside, but they insist on running the AC at 63 and at full blast at work. >_< My delicate frame can't withstand such frigid temperatures.

telly

« Reply #8113 on: September 09, 2015, 10:25:28 am »
I'm the total opposite - I like the cold and hate it when it's hot and humid out. I always feel so gross after the day ends  X(
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #8114 on: September 09, 2015, 10:55:58 am »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of walking into a sweatbox. I just prefer that to an icebox. I get cold way too easily, so that doesn't help matters, either.