Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1657154 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #8400 on: October 13, 2015, 01:02:25 pm »
The gaming community uses acronyms WAY too much. Not everyone is into the same stuff. We aren't all gonna know the acronym for some Japan-only released JRPG starring J-Pop stars. Sometimes you need to spell things out.

gf78

« Reply #8401 on: October 13, 2015, 01:17:46 pm »
I miss the good old days when DLC used to be called unlockable content. DLC is lame.

I think things may be swinging back in that direction.  From what I am hearing, Capcom-after taking a lashing for the last several years with their DLC practices-is implementing unlockable content in Street Fighter V.  You can either earn new characters, stages, moves, costumes, etc. through playing the game or if you are too lazy or don't have the time (or are just a sucker) you can purchase these items. 

Personally, part of the fun in the pre-DLC days of playing a game was unlocking new stages, characters, etc.  Like playing through the story mode of a Mortal Kombat game, completing it and finding a new character on the select screen. 

To me, this strikes a good balance.  Those who hate the practice of nickel & diming for content can avoid that just by playing the game and for those who have no problem, they can just buy it.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #8402 on: October 13, 2015, 01:19:04 pm »
The gaming community uses acronyms WAY too much. Not everyone is into the same stuff. We aren't all gonna know the acronym for some Japan-only released JRPG starring J-Pop stars. Sometimes you need to spell things out.

Maybe we could start a "sticky" thread where we have video game acronyms.  When I first came here, I scratched my head when I saw shmup.   ???
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

davifus

« Reply #8403 on: October 13, 2015, 05:35:35 pm »

Which acronyms are getting on your nerves?
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

90snostalga

« Reply #8404 on: October 14, 2015, 02:11:17 am »

Maybe we could start a "sticky" thread where we have video game acronyms.  When I first came here, I scratched my head when I saw shmup.   ???

Where is the like button at?????

kashell

« Reply #8405 on: October 14, 2015, 08:08:16 am »
Whenever I can't figure out an acronym, I use this thing help me in figuring it out. It's called the...the...hmm...oh what's it called...I've used it before a million times and I can't recall the name...

Oh, now I remember! I use the Internet.

*wink face*

gf78

« Reply #8406 on: October 14, 2015, 08:57:03 am »
Whenever I can't figure out an acronym, I use this thing help me in figuring it out. It's called the...the...hmm...oh what's it called...I've used it before a million times and I can't recall the name...

*wink face*

LOL...I would but nearly every site is blocked at work.  VGCollect is one of the few I can actually access.  Then when I go home, I'm too busy with the kids, wife, soccer, dinner, pets, etc.

kashell

« Reply #8407 on: October 14, 2015, 09:02:02 am »
LOL...I would but nearly every site is blocked at work.  VGCollect is one of the few I can actually access.  Then when I go home, I'm too busy with the kids, wife, soccer, dinner, pets, etc.

I know your pain! I've mentioned this before, but for some reason I can access Facebook, YouTube and Amazon but I can't access my normal sites like GameFAQs, Siliconera, etc. I feel lucky that I can also access VG Collect on here.

Not sure if this works for you, but if you select the "cached" page, the content will still be displayed. It won't look like it normally would, but you could at least access it in some capacity. That's how I read trophy guides, reviews, articles and so on.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8408 on: October 14, 2015, 10:41:21 am »
Just ordered a 4th ps4 controller. yes its cause of fo4 almost here
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

abe

« Reply #8409 on: October 14, 2015, 05:29:59 pm »
These are amazing! They're supposed to be releasing soon, but I haven't seen a solid date yet. Hopefully Canada will get them too, I really want all 6. :'(

Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8410 on: October 14, 2015, 06:50:46 pm »
These are amazing! They're supposed to be releasing soon, but I haven't seen a solid date yet. Hopefully Canada will get them too, I really want all 6. :'(

Damn it abe, I wish I didnt see this......
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8411 on: October 14, 2015, 07:18:05 pm »

*wink face*

If you have to look that up, then that's exactly my point. It's not hard to spell it out.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8412 on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:58 pm »

*wink face*

If you have to look that up, then that's exactly my point. It's not hard to spell it out.

Then you got ones that can be acronyms for multiple games like GOW (Gears of War, God of War)

karyann

« Reply #8413 on: October 14, 2015, 09:58:14 pm »
MMORPGs are terrible for acronyms. I felt so confused all the time when I started back in high school.  :o AoE, PvP, DoT, PBAoE... and then there's all the acronyms proper to each game.

On another note, Nintendo is hiring for a 2 months job, 12 hours a week, to educate sellers on Nintendo products in my city. I'm this close to re-writing my CV in English and apply! I'll think it through tomorrow, since work is currently very busy and I have to work as much as I can, but ... can I really say no to an opportunity to possibly work for Nintendo? Don't think I can.  :-X I'll probably find a way to make both jobs work together.

telly

« Reply #8414 on: October 14, 2015, 10:00:12 pm »

On another note, Nintendo is hiring for a 2 months job, 12 hours a week, to educate sellers on Nintendo products in my city. I'm this close to re-writing my CV in English and apply! I'll think it through tomorrow, since work is currently very busy and I have to work as much as I can, but ... can I really say no to an opportunity to possibly work for Nintendo? Don't think I can.  :-X I'll probably find a way to make both jobs work together.

You should apply! :) Good luck, and let us know how that goes!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:31:36 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery