Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1663866 times)

desocietas

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #11760 on: July 27, 2016, 02:25:30 pm »
I've been whining that I'm going to start doing that for years now, if only as an excuse to make myself play some of the games in my collection that I wouldn't otherwise get around to (specifically all of the horrible games).

That's exactly why I started streaming. It gets me to play games more often, and I've met a lot of folks who enjoy similar games. I'm terrible about finishing games, so I figured if other people were watching, I'd have more incentive to push on with the game.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #11761 on: July 27, 2016, 02:37:27 pm »
I've been whining that I'm going to start doing that for years now, if only as an excuse to make myself play some of the games in my collection that I wouldn't otherwise get around to (specifically all of the horrible games).

That's exactly why I started streaming. It gets me to play games more often, and I've met a lot of folks who enjoy similar games. I'm terrible about finishing games, so I figured if other people were watching, I'd have more incentive to push on with the game.

I'm still not quite familiar with the way Twitch works. So, you'll start a game and it will stream in real-time on line? And then people will start commenting on it?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11762 on: July 27, 2016, 02:38:42 pm »
Some pretty good games next month for XBox Gold subscribers on XBox One including WWE 2K16, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, and Beyond Good and Evil HD.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/25/12281320/xbox-games-with-gold-august-2016-xbox-360-xbox-one

« Reply #11763 on: July 27, 2016, 02:39:10 pm »

The problem I generally have is, certain games, I have no interest in trying to beat them legitimately.  Whether it is because of BS glitchiness or I just plainly suck at the game, or some other reason.  I will just load up cheats and breeze through the game.

Here lies the problem, I don't think people have any interest in watching someone cheat their way through a game.  I could sit there and play James Bond Jr for weeks continually dying and having to start over, or I can give myself infinite lives and just work through the game.

My other intent with it was to possibly let other people "dictate" what games I play, so I don't have to choose.

desocietas

« Reply #11764 on: July 27, 2016, 02:51:05 pm »
The problem I generally have is, certain games, I have no interest in trying to beat them legitimately.  Whether it is because of BS glitchiness or I just plainly suck at the game, or some other reason.  I will just load up cheats and breeze through the game.

Here lies the problem, I don't think people have any interest in watching someone cheat their way through a game.  I could sit there and play James Bond Jr for weeks continually dying and having to start over, or I can give myself infinite lives and just work through the game.

My other intent with it was to possibly let other people "dictate" what games I play, so I don't have to choose.

Thankfully, there's never a need to beat a game. It's your channel, so you can do anything you want :) Some people do speedruns, some just play WoW or League all day. Some use it as a way to practice and find other players to engage with for multiplayer or co-op.

There are definitely people who don't care if you cheat your way through a game. People who play "blind," with no knowledge of the game and no interest in receiving hints bring in certain viewers while other channels have people watching someone who may have played the game a million times and is playing it again just because they like it.

I tell people just to play what they want, how they want, and viewers will eventually show up. Also, don't have a crappy mic (if you choose to use a microphone) or terrible internet.

Having viewers dictate what you play isn't terrible but I find that getting a response when I ask for one doesn't always work out. People watch Twitch in so many different ways that, even if there are 20 people watching you, maybe only 3 might actually be paying attention or chatting.

I'm still not quite familiar with the way Twitch works. So, you'll start a game and it will stream in real-time on line? And then people will start commenting on it?

Yup, it's basically how the streaming feature works on Xbox One and PS4 as well. PC streaming is pretty straightforward as well, but you can customize how everything looks a little better with the use of free streaming software. You put in a title, hit the "start stream" button, and you're playing live. People can come in and watch you play live (what they see will be about 5-30 seconds delayed depending on internet speeds and what streaming platform you use) and they can comment or whatever in real-time as they watch you. Viewers may just laugh, comment, ask questions, or (if your personal rules allow for it) they can offer advice/assistance as you play.

I thought streaming was the stupidest idea ever until I tuned into a friend of a friend streaming and realized that it could be a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:54:12 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11765 on: July 27, 2016, 02:56:49 pm »
Soera is correct, though. Doing YouTube or Twitch for money, no matter how little your expectations are, isn't the way to go. The broadcaster will end up obsessing over numbers, views, stats, etc. when the reality is that most viewers want to watch someone have fun.

I've been on Twitch semi-regularly for over two years and have some unedited videos on YT. Yes, I may have received some money through Twitch, but never anything I can count on. One day you might get five bucks, then the next three months it's dry as a bone. I only do it because I enjoy the socializing and want to play the games.

Speaking of streaming.  I finally bought that Razer Ripsaw... I haven't had time to get it out of the box...   :-\

« Reply #11766 on: July 27, 2016, 02:59:04 pm »
I have a really really old Dazzle capture device.  It does AV input and I had the software at one point, it worked fairly well.  I also have an AV splitter so I can have the video on my TV, lag free, but also outputted onto a computer, albeit with lag.  I don't have any microphones except for built in ones, old crappy ones, and ones provided with video games.  I think I have an HD video camera, but I don't know how well it would work.  I really want to wire up my game room for it, but I also can't be bothered to set anything up when I'm still working on my gameroom.  And it's hard to keep up on the gameroom when I keep getting new games and running out of space.

rayne315

« Reply #11767 on: July 27, 2016, 03:10:02 pm »
I have a really really old Dazzle capture device.  It does AV input and I had the software at one point, it worked fairly well.  I also have an AV splitter so I can have the video on my TV, lag free, but also outputted onto a computer, albeit with lag.  I don't have any microphones except for built in ones, old crappy ones, and ones provided with video games.  I think I have an HD video camera, but I don't know how well it would work.  I really want to wire up my game room for it, but I also can't be bothered to set anything up when I'm still working on my gameroom.  And it's hard to keep up on the gameroom when I keep getting new games and running out of space.

like a month ago or so I decided to upgrade my mic and found that the Turtle Beach PLa headset is only $26 at walmart (have them price match it to their online store) and it works for ps4/ps3/Pc and has a usb end so it can probably be used for xbone/360 also. its a decent mic also probably the best you will ever get for that price point.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:11:36 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kashell

« Reply #11768 on: July 27, 2016, 03:11:16 pm »

Yup, it's basically how the streaming feature works on Xbox One and PS4 as well. PC streaming is pretty straightforward as well, but you can customize how everything looks a little better with the use of free streaming software. You put in a title, hit the "start stream" button, and you're playing live. People can come in and watch you play live (what they see will be about 5-30 seconds delayed depending on internet speeds and what streaming platform you use) and they can comment or whatever in real-time as they watch you. Viewers may just laugh, comment, ask questions, or (if your personal rules allow for it) they can offer advice/assistance as you play.

I thought streaming was the stupidest idea ever until I tuned into a friend of a friend streaming and realized that it could be a lot of fun.

That actually sounds like it could be fun. When I was playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope, it would have been fun to do that while I was going for certain battle trophies because it could have served as a way to give advice to people. Maybe I'll try it with my Universe file in Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness.

« Reply #11769 on: July 27, 2016, 03:14:11 pm »

like a month ago or so I decided to upgrade my mic and found that the Turtle Beach PLa headset is only $26 at walmart (have them price match it to their online store) and it works for ps4/ps3/Pc and has a usb end so it can probably be used for xbone/360 also. its a decent mic also probably the best you will ever get for that price point.
My intent is to not have a headset on.  I expect on several occasions to have other folks sitting in the room with me while playing.

I would definitely love to play the Souls games while streaming.  That's always fun/funny.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11770 on: July 27, 2016, 03:17:33 pm »
Soera is correct, though. Doing YouTube or Twitch for money, no matter how little your expectations are, isn't the way to go. The broadcaster will end up obsessing over numbers, views, stats, etc. when the reality is that most viewers want to watch someone have fun.

I've been on Twitch semi-regularly for over two years and have some unedited videos on YT. Yes, I may have received some money through Twitch, but never anything I can count on. One day you might get five bucks, then the next three months it's dry as a bone. I only do it because I enjoy the socializing and want to play the games.

Speaking of streaming.  I finally bought that Razer Ripsaw... I haven't had time to get it out of the box...   :-\

desocietas

« Reply #11771 on: July 27, 2016, 03:19:02 pm »

My intent is to not have a headset on.  I expect on several occasions to have other folks sitting in the room with me while playing.

I would definitely love to play the Souls games while streaming.  That's always fun/funny.

Souls games always seem to bring in curious viewers. We all know how big that fanbase is.

Mic/cam are totally optional things. For some viewers, it makes them feel more connected, but I definitely watch streams where there is no mic/cam and the streamer types their responses into chat. It totally works if they're good about being timely about it. I watch one friend stream mainly Japanese game, and I actually like that he doesn't have cam/mic because I can just have it in the background as music.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

necrosexual

« Reply #11772 on: July 28, 2016, 02:17:37 am »
So in your guys's honest opinion what do you think will set me up for more success? streaming games to twitch? or making youtube video's with no editing experience? im trying to make a small amount of money to help buy games with.

I recently started twitch streaming but still seem to have problems striking conversations and don't really know how to keep viewers.

uhhh neither tbh, i think it is a very, very hard place to break into... i think the youtube bubble might pop soonish (a LOT of people are beginning to point out YT content is beginning to slow down or get less... interesting?) and idk.
but twitch requires you pay attention to chat, interact AND play the game. so if you suck shit at multitasking...

and honestly, i only find twitch OR youtube interesting when there are more than one person in the let's play or stream... there creates a synergy there that isn't produced ever by one person. ofc pewdiepie is an exception here, for most, but...
and anyway, do it for fun, not for cash. imo. honestly, the effort you put in might not be worth the cash, and you could end up burning out, which could extend to games in general and aghhh, it seems like such a bad idea to me, i dunno.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

kashell

« Reply #11773 on: July 28, 2016, 09:07:57 am »
Sometimes, common courtesy is all you need to brighten someone's day. On the way to the kitchen area at work, a lady co-worker was walking towards it around the same time. I said, "ladies first" and the smile of appreciation on her face made our mornings a little brighter.

rayne315

« Reply #11774 on: July 28, 2016, 09:55:49 am »

lol I like the double post ;) too bad I don't know what a razer ripsaw is.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:58:12 am by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully