Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1534255 times)

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #12735 on: February 28, 2017, 08:43:30 am »
I knew about the DS/3DS stuff, but not about the PS3/360 stuff. That's really upsetting.
Give it a while, soon you'll start seeing them tossing Wii, Wii U, and PS3 cases and start selling them just in sleeves.

One of my local stores already did that with Wii games.

Also... to further the Wii/Wii U confusion, some of my stores have started putting the Wii and Wii U games together on one display.

kashell

« Reply #12736 on: February 28, 2017, 08:48:01 am »
I knew about the DS/3DS stuff, but not about the PS3/360 stuff. That's really upsetting.
Give it a while, soon you'll start seeing them tossing Wii, Wii U, and PS3 cases and start selling them just in sleeves.

One of my local stores already did that with Wii games.

Also... to further the Wii/Wii U confusion, some of my stores have started putting the Wii and Wii U games together on one display.

That's just bad manners. I try to not harp on Game Stop too much these days because I find some great games for great prices, but there are times it's hard not to.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12737 on: February 28, 2017, 10:33:16 am »
It depends on the individual store, really. I know that one store in our area pulls the artwork/manual all the time, due to high volume and and high traffic being right next to the mall. They just have barely any room to walk around in there.

But the one close to my neighborhood, will often have the artwork/manual in a drawer somewhere. And they know that I'm one that wants it, so they'll pull out an artwork/manual for me if they have it.

desocietas

« Reply #12738 on: February 28, 2017, 11:46:58 am »
It depends on the individual store, really. I know that one store in our area pulls the artwork/manual all the time, due to high volume and and high traffic being right next to the mall. They just have barely any room to walk around in there.

But the one close to my neighborhood, will often have the artwork/manual in a drawer somewhere. And they know that I'm one that wants it, so they'll pull out an artwork/manual for me if they have it.

Definitely depends on the store. I know some stores that don't give a rat's ass about tossing stuff and dismantling launch edition boxes once new items are converted to pre-owned (did you know they did this? after a certain amount of time, GS sometimes decides that they no longer need to carry "new" copies of a game so they may unwrap the new ones and slap a pre-owned sticker on them. might stumble upon a new-but-unsealed-game that way) while other stores are actually displaying their DS/3DS boxes/manuals again.

Definitely helps to get to know the workers - they try their best to help you out if you're nice and will look out for ya when they can.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #12739 on: February 28, 2017, 11:51:48 am »
the process is called sku conversion.

A lot of Gamestops actually have sealed copies of games like Steel Diver 3DS brand new sealed but they sell it as pre-owned.

I used to try and keep up with it, but it doesn't happen very often.  once a month to once a quarter and it's never good games.  Last few times I asked about it, the employees acted like I have no clue what they are talking about.  I even tried to grab one of the Wii U kiosks when they swapped for Switch kiosks, but every store either trashed the kiosk beyond use, got swiped by preferred customers/employees, or some lucky fool managed to snatch one.  But when I asked I'd get the response of either "Oh, the Nintendo rep has to come and collect it" or "Oh, we destroyed it so it would fit into the dumpster."

I think I got Heavy Rain Director's Cut sealed for the pre-owned price 5 or so years ago.  I got Master of Illusion sealed for $0.89 a few years back with the playing cards and stuff.  Last Story launch edition for like $30 or 40 sealed.

Most of the time they don't unseal the games, they just keep them in the drawers.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:54:06 am by ignition365 »

desocietas

« Reply #12740 on: February 28, 2017, 11:57:36 am »
Most of the time they don't unseal the games, they just keep them in the drawers.
Yup, it'd take too much time. If they have multiple copies of the game, they should have the sealed ones in a drawer.
For the boxed launch editions of games that included an amiibo, though, they took the amiibos out, trashed the boxes, and just had the base games out on the shelf. They gave out the amiibos to whoever bought the game as a freebie, but was still sad for me to see the boxes get trashed like that :(

As far as the WiiU kiosk went for my local shop, the manager told me he dismantled it as soon as he could. The shell of it was next to the dumpster, but he was instructed to pull out all the electronics (speakers, etc.) and dispose of the rest.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #12741 on: February 28, 2017, 12:14:40 pm »
I really don't have a set store that I go to so I don't know any of the folks behind the desks. Luckily, I've been able to charm my way towards certain things. I have promotional posters for both Tales of Graces f and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles. I've been almost 100% successful in asking the workers to not put those awful circle stickers on a new game.

desocietas

« Reply #12742 on: February 28, 2017, 12:55:43 pm »
I've been almost 100% successful in asking the workers to not put those awful circle stickers on a new game.

Also, not a bad idea to ask them if they have any sealed copies. There's a chance they're selling you a gutted copy by mistake instead of a sealed copy they might have in a drawer.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

azure

« Reply #12743 on: February 28, 2017, 10:56:48 pm »
I've seen a lot of people getting into Yakuza recently, 0/Reprints probably being a big factor. Great to see more people are giving it attention, love the franchise.

Warmsignal

« Reply #12744 on: February 28, 2017, 11:51:55 pm »
Sort of on the topic of reprints. I HATE scalpers. Have I ever mentioned that?

So my complete Wii U game goal could potentially be ruined now, thanks to scalpers. Guess what game it was this time? Hello Kitty Kruisers. There was a lot of speculation about how "rare" this game was for months now. Little did I know, last week Best Buy goes on eBay and starts selling a warehouse full of them for $20. I've heard they sold over 300 copies in one day. All to scalpers. Because now, the game is readily available on eBay for $100 - $300. Scalpers on CAG were bragging about how many they bought and how rich it's going to make them.

I could have bought the game for $20, now I might have to spend a lot of money on it, if I want to get every Wii U game. Only in today's eBay scalping world, would flooding the market with a bunch of one item = the price going up tremendously, instead of down.

« Reply #12745 on: March 01, 2017, 08:25:57 am »

So my complete Wii U game goal could potentially be ruined now, thanks to scalpers. Guess what game it was this time? Hello Kitty Kruisers. There was a lot of speculation about how "rare" this game was for months now. Little did I know, last week Best Buy goes on eBay and starts selling a warehouse full of them for $20. I've heard they sold over 300 copies in one day. All to scalpers. Because now, the game is readily available on eBay for $100 - $300. Scalpers on CAG were bragging about how many they bought and how rich it's going to make them.

I could have bought the game for $20, now I might have to spend a lot of money on it, if I want to get every Wii U game. Only in today's eBay scalping world, would flooding the market with a bunch of one item = the price going up tremendously, instead of down.
I was following CAG that day trying to snag a copy myself, they went up and down so fast not likely that many people who wanted one got one.

kashell

« Reply #12746 on: March 01, 2017, 10:02:01 am »

That's really obnoxious. FWIW, I usually see if they have it at Game Stop in case someone here wants me to snag it for them.

Still, do scalpers really think that people would play that much for Hello Fricken' Kitty?

Warmsignal

« Reply #12747 on: March 01, 2017, 12:03:40 pm »

That's really obnoxious. FWIW, I usually see if they have it at Game Stop in case someone here wants me to snag it for them.

Still, do scalpers really think that people would play that much for Hello Fricken' Kitty?

Evidently they are paying that much, or staging sales for that much.

If you see one that has the original case and stuff with it, please do. I think it's about $30 at GS. I'm pretty much just waiting for one to get traded in at my GS.

kashell

« Reply #12748 on: March 01, 2017, 12:34:42 pm »

If you see one that has the original case and stuff with it, please do. I think it's about $30 at GS. I'm pretty much just waiting for one to get traded in at my GS.

Does it come with a manual? Or just with one of those white slips that have information about Nintendo?

Flashback2012

« Reply #12749 on: March 01, 2017, 12:39:44 pm »

I've checked every Wal-Mart in the area looking for that Mario/Sonic 2016 Rio Olympics and thus far have not spied a single copy. The flippers/scalpers in this area must be very in-tune with what's going on on the interwebs in terms of "scarcity" chatter. It was the same way in regards to amiibos and a few other titles.

I have noticed more GameStops show having Cave Story in stock but the few I've checked all have generic cases for them.

Also...who's going to Louisville Arcade Expo this weekend?  ;)