Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1526553 times)

sworddude

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #14550 on: September 29, 2018, 05:33:08 am »
If you have a steelbook video game or blu ray, is it fire resistant?

Considering that the average house fire is only a slim 1100 degrees fahrenheit, the chances are pretty high of a steelbook surving the accident if it would actually be made out of steel to get to that sweet 1500 fahrenheit melting point.

The game within will be fried though maybe even edible with a bit of salt and pepper but even if the game won't taste any good for it to be a proper meal, at the very least you will still have a nice looking steel book ::)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 05:35:08 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #14551 on: September 29, 2018, 08:52:10 am »

Considering that the average house fire is only a slim 1100 degrees fahrenheit, the chances are pretty high of a steelbook surving the accident if it would actually be made out of steel to get to that sweet 1500 fahrenheit melting point.

Well, I mean that is if you are only talking about house fires.  Seether's question is a bit more generic than that.  Jet fuel can't melt steel beams, but I bet it can melt steelbooks.

kashell

« Reply #14552 on: September 30, 2018, 07:26:29 pm »
I feel bad that I've been lurking the forum for so long but haven't said anything here, I'm a terrible conversationalist and I can't think of anything interesting to say, so I just thought I'd leave a hello here and run away screaming.

This is a good thread to get random conversation going. Feel free to jump right in!

desocietas

« Reply #14553 on: October 02, 2018, 02:52:54 pm »
Has anyone bought anything from HobbySearch (1999.co.jp)? Curious if it's any better or worse than PlayAsia. I'm eying a preorder item and would be having it shipped to the U.S. I notice that HobbySearch has better prices at least for some items.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #14554 on: October 03, 2018, 08:12:28 am »
Has anyone bought anything from HobbySearch (1999.co.jp)? Curious if it's any better or worse than PlayAsia. I'm eying a preorder item and would be having it shipped to the U.S. I notice that HobbySearch has better prices at least for some items.
Better prices than Amiami?

rayne315

« Reply #14555 on: October 03, 2018, 10:19:42 am »

Well, I mean that is if you are only talking about house fires.  Seether's question is a bit more generic than that.  Jet fuel can't melt steel beams, but I bet it can melt steelbooks.

if nothing else it would burn off all the paint and leave you with just the charred metal itself. 3 pieces of it, because it would burn through the plastic hinges to it.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kashell

« Reply #14556 on: October 03, 2018, 11:18:15 am »

I have not. Is the item super expensive? If not, it might be worth a test drive.

« Reply #14557 on: October 03, 2018, 12:05:11 pm »

if nothing else it would burn off all the paint and leave you with just the charred metal itself. 3 pieces of it, because it would burn through the plastic hinges to it.

Jet fuel can’t melt steelbooks.

desocietas

« Reply #14558 on: October 03, 2018, 04:52:21 pm »
Better prices than Amiami?

Ah, good catch! I didn't see it come up when I did a general google search for the item, but searching directly in AmiAmi, I did find it... and cheaper, too!

I have not. Is the item super expensive? If not, it might be worth a test drive.

True, true. Just one of those newly listed pre-order items: https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-042972

I haven't assembled a model kit before, but I would like to some time!

I have only purchased from PlayAsia before... I assume AmiAmi is good for folks, too?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #14559 on: October 03, 2018, 04:56:39 pm »
Amiami is... weird.  You buy the item and don't pay anything.  They invoice you when it's time to ship.

So you have no clue what shipping will be until its time to pay.  They will ban you if you don't pay when it comes time to pay.  They may give you one chance or something, so don't order if you don't intend on keeping the order.  And I don't think they let you cancel orders or anything.

If you order multiple preorders that ship in the same month, they sorta automatically combine shipping and ship them together.

I like Amiami.

desocietas

« Reply #14560 on: October 03, 2018, 05:20:34 pm »
Amiami is... weird.  You buy the item and don't pay anything.  They invoice you when it's time to ship.

So you have no clue what shipping will be until its time to pay.  They will ban you if you don't pay when it comes time to pay.  They may give you one chance or something, so don't order if you don't intend on keeping the order.  And I don't think they let you cancel orders or anything.

If you order multiple preorders that ship in the same month, they sorta automatically combine shipping and ship them together.

I like Amiami.

Hm, that doesn't sound too bad. HobbySearch doesn't provide shipping price either for things like preorders since they don't know the weight of the items yet until they're in-hand (which makes sense, but I'd hope the production people would give them that information). I've bought from PlayAsia before for a preorder figure and I recall the shipping was pretty high - higher than I expected. I'll give AmiAmi try since they're the cheapest option for the base price so far. Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:22:29 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #14561 on: October 04, 2018, 08:59:37 am »

I like Amiami.

Hm, that doesn't sound too bad. HobbySearch doesn't provide shipping price either for things like preorders since they don't know the weight of the items yet until they're in-hand (which makes sense, but I'd hope the production people would give them that information). I've bought from PlayAsia before for a preorder figure and I recall the shipping was pretty high - higher than I expected. I'll give AmiAmi try since they're the cheapest option for the base price so far. Thanks for the feedback!
I've never had an issue with it, but AmiAmi claims that they hold no responsibility for packages lost on packages that don't have tracking.  So if you're paranoid about such things you need to do one of the tracked shipping options.  I think I usually do the SAL Small Packet (Unregistered) and pay with Paypal, because if it doesn't show up Paypal will make me whole.  Paypal 100% sides with the buyer when the seller doesn't provide tracking.

https://www.amiami.com/eng/payment-shipping/ Has more information on shipping information.  Amiami prices are generally under MSRP and the shipping rates aren't the worst.  I feel like I've messaged them before asking rough estimate of shipping cost based on expected weight so I knew what to choose, and I think I may have changed my shipped method at shipping time, so if I'm not mistaken, they are a little flexible... as long as you aren't cancelling.

desocietas

« Reply #14562 on: October 04, 2018, 07:34:26 pm »
I've never had an issue with it, but AmiAmi claims that they hold no responsibility for packages lost on packages that don't have tracking.  So if you're paranoid about such things you need to do one of the tracked shipping options.  I think I usually do the SAL Small Packet (Unregistered) and pay with Paypal, because if it doesn't show up Paypal will make me whole.  Paypal 100% sides with the buyer when the seller doesn't provide tracking.

https://www.amiami.com/eng/payment-shipping/ Has more information on shipping information.  Amiami prices are generally under MSRP and the shipping rates aren't the worst.  I feel like I've messaged them before asking rough estimate of shipping cost based on expected weight so I knew what to choose, and I think I may have changed my shipped method at shipping time, so if I'm not mistaken, they are a little flexible... as long as you aren't cancelling.

Sweeeet. Great to know :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14563 on: October 07, 2018, 04:37:56 pm »
I miss the 80s. The movies, the music, the video games. Pop culture really was at a great place then. Anyone else?

« Reply #14564 on: October 07, 2018, 05:30:38 pm »
I miss the 80s. The movies, the music, the video games. Pop culture really was at a great place then. Anyone else?

I went through Elem, JR high, and part of HS in the 80's. It was an amazing time to be a kid.