Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1517333 times)

pacpix

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #14745 on: February 02, 2019, 09:25:13 pm »
Dark Souls is a good one to chip away; great game.

I'd have to agree!  It's been kicking my ass, but it has been a great game so far.  Just finished up Sen's Fortress last week.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

telly

« Reply #14746 on: February 03, 2019, 07:27:37 am »
Pacpix!!! Hey buddy :D How's life been treating ya?

Busy, but good!  Been slingin' code at the internship i started in June and finishing up the last semester of my undergrad.  Other than that just obsessively checking gradcafe for PhD results xD (which you can probably relate to back when you were in admissions hell)

Not much gaming other than slowly chipping away at Dark Souls and my inability to kick my Mario Tennis Aces habit  ;D

How have you been?

Good! Just trying to make it through school and research. I'm getting my PhD as well so I can related to that struggle! Haha
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #14747 on: February 03, 2019, 11:53:35 am »

I'd have to agree!  It's been kicking my ass, but it has been a great game so far.  Just finished up Sen's Fortress last week.
Sen's Fortress is a fun one. Is that before or after Blighttown?

pacpix

« Reply #14748 on: February 03, 2019, 11:57:31 am »

Right after. Blighttown was... well let’s just say it took me a while to finish ;D
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #14749 on: February 03, 2019, 01:14:34 pm »
Man, that sucks. How long have they been in business? Are they closing due to monetary reasons, health issues, or perhaps, loss of interest?

They've been around for about 10-years, and originally had two locations, with the other location having gone under last year.

They are closing because the state of Colorado is slowly devolving into Southern California where you essentially have to be rich to live here or run a business. Housing and retail space prices have skyrocketed despite there being a ton of vacant store fronts in virtually every shopping center in this state. The area their other store was located in was a fairly affluent suburban area that recently jacked rent up for all the tenants, resulting in 2/3 of the small business tenants leaving last spring, including that game store's location. The other location, which is located 50-miles away, is in a much poorer, rundown area and I'm pretty sure that location going under has to do with the business no longer being viable.

While part of it has to do with Colorado, a lot of independent game stores or stores that sell used games in my state have gone under in the past 2-years. I think this is a sign of several things, but one is I genuinely believe the hobby is starting to finally cave and interest is waining. Another element is less and less people are trading stuff in since much of the remaining retro gaming inventory is in the hands of collectors who don't readily part with that they have. I have noticed an uptick in retro games being traded in, but I think overall it has hurt these smaller stores who rely on plentiful retro game inventory to get people in the door.

kashell

« Reply #14750 on: February 04, 2019, 08:13:55 am »

Right after. Blighttown was... well let’s just say it took me a while to finish ;D
That place is a slog, but it's cool. I really enjoyed my first time through because the atmosphere was great.

Later trips were...unpleasant.

« Reply #14751 on: February 04, 2019, 08:28:16 am »

That place is a slog, but it's cool. I really enjoyed my first time through because the atmosphere was great.

I always skip as much of Blighttown as I can.  Just do the Queelag battle and never come back... but now you folks got me wanting to play Dark Souls again.  Maybe when I'm done with Monster Boy I'll jump back into that for a bit.

telly

« Reply #14752 on: February 04, 2019, 12:14:47 pm »
I need to play Dark Souls, I enjoyed Demon's Souls a lot
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

pzeke

« Reply #14753 on: February 05, 2019, 07:52:39 am »
They've been around for about 10-years, and originally had two locations, with the other location having gone under last year.

They are closing because the state of Colorado is slowly devolving into Southern California where you essentially have to be rich to live here or run a business. Housing and retail space prices have skyrocketed despite there being a ton of vacant store fronts in virtually every shopping center in this state. The area their other store was located in was a fairly affluent suburban area that recently jacked rent up for all the tenants, resulting in 2/3 of the small business tenants leaving last spring, including that game store's location. The other location, which is located 50-miles away, is in a much poorer, rundown area and I'm pretty sure that location going under has to do with the business no longer being viable.

While part of it has to do with Colorado, a lot of independent game stores or stores that sell used games in my state have gone under in the past 2-years. I think this is a sign of several things, but one is I genuinely believe the hobby is starting to finally cave and interest is waining. Another element is less and less people are trading stuff in since much of the remaining retro gaming inventory is in the hands of collectors who don't readily part with that they have. I have noticed an uptick in retro games being traded in, but I think overall it has hurt these smaller stores who rely on plentiful retro game inventory to get people in the door.

I've seen a few YouTubers that live in California mention how expensive the cost of living has gotten and how moving is in their foreseeable future. It's even more awful to read how many Californians are sleeping in their cars due to this situation. Granted, everyday living costs are getting higher and higher almost everywhere, but it still is sad seeing a long-running business like this one close its doors.

Here's hoping for the best in their next ventures.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

rayne315

« Reply #14754 on: February 06, 2019, 11:40:45 am »

yeah my only complaint with it on original consoles was that the fps would dip enough to cause me issues when I decided to actually fight instead of running past every thing.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kashell

« Reply #14755 on: February 14, 2019, 08:41:00 am »
An enhanced Link's Awakening. Hellz yes.

rayne315

« Reply #14756 on: February 14, 2019, 12:16:57 pm »
welp here in a little less than a month I will have bought my first home! (so long as nothing goes wrong) god this is stressful...
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kashell

« Reply #14757 on: February 14, 2019, 03:04:25 pm »
Such an adult! Congratulations!!

doafan

« Reply #14758 on: February 16, 2019, 12:36:50 pm »
Haven't been here in a while, have to say that these couple of months have been kinda hard, my little boy has reached his fifth month of life and in this time haven't slept well neither had the time that I would love to have to play as much as I want but it's part of my responsabilities as a father, have been watching with the little dude Dragon Ball Super from 3 AM to 4:30 AM almost every day because it is the time that he usually woke up to eat and sometimes just because he refuse to go to bed, got the feeling that he does enjoy the cartoon and he woke up to see it with me which I do enjoy cause my dad didn't watched cartoons with me anyway am glad to create an emotional link between us with something that I really like, borrow him a couple of days ago my 2DS and he spent a couple of minutes trying to play Animal Crossing New Leaf, my wife took a couple of good photos of this, we did the same with my daugther when she was almost his age playing Mario Kart Double Dash, now she is almost ten years old and still plays at her 3DS, sorry if I wont share any pictures but am not the kind of person that enjoys to show him self or the family into the web, this year I'll purchase the Switch but not for me, my little girl wants this console so have been selling a couple fo my games to gain some extra money and be able to give it to her if not by Christmas maybe for her birthday, speaking of it mine is close enough and even when am not a young person don't feel like an old one, am only one year younger than my manager and I really don't look like a piece of shit like him, am still able to run and lift weight not like him that he can barely walk without getting tired, will try to be here more often if not to share my status will try at least to say hello to everybody, greetings from Mexico.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #14759 on: February 27, 2019, 12:02:35 am »
Jesus F$%#ING christ! Really!?

Another long time indpendent video game store in Colorado is going under! Buy Back Games, which has been around since the early 90s (I didn't discover them until the late 2000s) is completely going out of business. They used to have around 10 stores across the state, then about 6 for a long time, then as of last year 2, and now they're saying they'll be gone for good likely in the next week :/

As somewhat of a silver lining to all this, another local independent chain, Level 7, is supposedly buying out their remaining inventory and assets, possibly even their main location. So in a way they will sort of live on through Level 7, but in terms of how the businesses are each ran and prices, they are pretty different.

Is this happening anywhere else or is the retro video game retail scene just collapsing in CO?