Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1516984 times)

Warmsignal

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #15660 on: March 22, 2021, 02:14:00 pm »
It can take up to 21 days to get a refund from the Post Office. Just let that sink in.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15661 on: March 22, 2021, 04:06:31 pm »
It can take up to 21 days to get a refund from the Post Office. Just let that sink in.
Are they mailing it to you?

Warmsignal

« Reply #15662 on: March 22, 2021, 08:40:30 pm »
Are they mailing it to you?

It's just a label I voided on PayPal.

Warmsignal

« Reply #15663 on: March 24, 2021, 12:25:53 pm »
Is it me, or has eBay become like really discouraging to sell on lately? There's some stuff that I've sold where I made literally almost nothing on it. Granted, I undervalued the shipping cost on one item, that was my bad, but 13% and 15% fees? I don't remember the fees being that high. It's no wonder people charge so much on there, as a buyer you forget how much of that is NOT going to seller. They even take a fee from the shipping cost, like you can help how much it costs to ship?

Maybe it's because Managed Payments really lets you see how much you're being nickel and deemed. But it's like, you don't make near what you think you're making on there. My most recent Payout was only a couple of dollars. Lmao. Apparently eBay just charged me a crap ton of money for some shipping labels I didn't realize I bought from them. It makes it look like my most recent sale made almost nothing after you subtract what I supposedly owe. I guess they pay you the full amount including the shipping with every sale, then bottle up your shipping charges just long enough to crush your spirit when you make another sale. Oh great, I sold something for $35 so they cut me a check for $2.92! Hooray?! I guess? I think I'll go buy a lollipop, cuz I'm feeling like a sucker.

It's all so confusing, I don't even want to look at it. I just hope they're doing the math correctly and I'm not getting screwed. eBay is classic for giving you the impression that you're doing a lot better than you really are. They have the little money counter on your dashboard that pops up like a slot machine"WOW! L@@K at what you made!!!" But no, that's not after fees or shipping. It's just a deceptive pat on the head to keep the little guy motivated.

Flashback2012

« Reply #15664 on: March 24, 2021, 12:46:30 pm »
Is it me, or has eBay become like really discouraging to sell on lately? There's some stuff that I've sold where I made literally almost nothing on it. Granted, I undervalued the shipping cost on one item, that was my bad, but 13% and 15% fees? I don't remember the fees being that high. It's no wonder people charge so much on there, as a buyer you forget how much of that is NOT going to seller. They even take a fee from the shipping cost, like you can help how much it costs to ship?

Maybe it's because Managed Payments really lets you see how much you're being nickel and deemed. But it's like, you don't make near what you think you're making on there. My most recent Payout was only a couple of dollars. Lmao. Apparently eBay just charged me a crap ton of money for some shipping labels I didn't realize I bought from them. It makes it look like my most recent sale made almost nothing after you subtract what I supposedly owe. I guess they pay you the full amount including the shipping with every sale, then bottle up your shipping charges just long enough to crush your spirit when you make another sale. Oh great, I sold something for $35 so they cut me a check for $2.92! Hooray?! I guess? I think I'll go buy a lollipop, cuz I'm feeling like a sucker.

It's all so confusing, I don't even want to look at it. I just hope they're doing the math correctly and I'm not getting screwed. eBay is classic for giving you the impression that you're doing a lot better than you really are. They have the little money counter on your dashboard that pops up like a slot machine"WOW! L@@K at what you made!!!" But no, that's not after fees or shipping. It's just a deceptive pat on the head to keep the little guy motivated.

I have a few items I wouldn't mind selling but I don't see me going with eBay to sell them. I'll put them on here or other forums first and then I have a few local/non-local mom n pop stores I'll work with first. I think the last time I sold something on eBay was well before PayPal ever existed. I sold one thing and the guy paid. I had more of that item, the buyer PM'ed me and I did a side deal free of eBay fees for a decent sum.  ;) I don't think that's largely possible anymore.  :P

kashell

« Reply #15665 on: March 24, 2021, 02:27:29 pm »
The last thing I sold on eBay was just before they stopped working with PayPal. I haven't sold anything since. I never felt like I got swindled but I didn't sell that much on there in the first place. Nowadays for games, I'll just mention the ones I'm getting rid on here and take what remains to local game store/donate to charity.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15666 on: March 24, 2021, 02:30:25 pm »
I'm still doing fine on eBay, and am still able to use PayPal.

Considering you're gaining access to the biggest pool of buyers on the planet, I don't think the fees are that unreasonable. And it's certainly better than dealing with flakes, low-ballers, and swindlers on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist.

Warmsignal

« Reply #15667 on: March 24, 2021, 02:42:08 pm »
I guess? But video game stuff happens to be in one of the highest segments of their fees system. All of their competitors have lower fees, but are fundamentally anti-seller as well. Like Micari not letting you have your money until the buyer leaves positive feedback. Yeesh.

« Reply #15668 on: March 24, 2021, 03:35:54 pm »
Apparently it's ebay's managed payments thing.  If you do paypal ebay charges 10% and then paypal charges 2.9% + 30 cents.  Ebay's management payments charges you 12.35% + 30 cents.  I had to look it up because I haven't sold on ebay in quite some time and was concerned they jacked up rates for video games to 15%.

sworddude

« Reply #15669 on: March 24, 2021, 07:33:42 pm »
I'm still doing fine on eBay, and am still able to use PayPal.

Considering you're gaining access to the biggest pool of buyers on the planet, I don't think the fees are that unreasonable. And it's certainly better than dealing with flakes, low-ballers, and swindlers on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist.

fees have almost doubled in just a few years though lol (not double but a sizable increase)

That a loss for both buyers and sellers. sellers gain less and buyers pay more.

I really hope the % isn't going to be any higher. why should it increase period if prices increase on items your gaining more anyway as ebay it's % based not a fixed amount. not to mention the amounts of people selling stuff if the costs stay reasonable more people will use the platform.

Higher fees will discourage people to sell on ebay and more backdoor deals will happen to avoid the ebay fees especially with more pricy items.

it's a good thing that europe has more options than just ebay that are usually better anyway with zero fees unless you really want to sell something specific.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 08:07:46 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15670 on: March 25, 2021, 05:22:26 am »
I never buy outside the EU with ebay anymore. I used to do it alot about 10 years ago, but the import taxes are killing the buys.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15671 on: March 25, 2021, 02:07:26 pm »
King Kong climbs buildings. Godzilla knocks over buildings like they're toys. So how is this movie even a fair fight?

Warmsignal

« Reply #15672 on: March 25, 2021, 11:54:35 pm »
There are few things more frustrating than loosing track of your own belongings in your own home. I rarely do that, but I'm having a moment. I go to dig out my SEGA CDX and hook it up. I had it stored in a TV console along with my Master System. Well, both systems were in there still, but all the cords for them inexplicable gone. Missing are my composite cables and power brick for CDX and whatever power brick I was using for Master System. This past fall when I started work on my "game room", some retro systems were moved in there. But none of those would use this stuff. I checked that setup and none of it is there. Wherever my composite cables are, that's where my power brick is too.

I sense "borrowing" being the culprit here. My brother has a habit of asking me to bring my stuff over when he can't get his to work. Then I forget it's over there. He doesn't have a CDX though, so I shouldn't have brought that AC adapter over there. That thing is damn expensive too, and they're not to be swapped between different models either.

kashell

« Reply #15673 on: March 26, 2021, 07:58:29 am »
I'm always leery about letting others borrow things. My brother is the only one I trust that will return things the way it was when lent.

Flashback2012

« Reply #15674 on: March 26, 2021, 10:04:28 am »
There are few things more frustrating than loosing track of your own belongings in your own home. I rarely do that, but I'm having a moment. I go to dig out my SEGA CDX and hook it up. I had it stored in a TV console along with my Master System. Well, both systems were in there still, but all the cords for them inexplicable gone. Missing are my composite cables and power brick for CDX and whatever power brick I was using for Master System. This past fall when I started work on my "game room", some retro systems were moved in there. But none of those would use this stuff. I checked that setup and none of it is there. Wherever my composite cables are, that's where my power brick is too.

I sense "borrowing" being the culprit here. My brother has a habit of asking me to bring my stuff over when he can't get his to work. Then I forget it's over there. He doesn't have a CDX though, so I shouldn't have brought that AC adapter over there. That thing is damn expensive too, and they're not to be swapped between different models either.

MK-4122 is the part number for that CDX adapter. I have no idea why it's seared into my memory. Anytime I'm in a mom n' pop shop and they have spare adapters laying about, I always check the part numbers to see if I can find one in the wild still.  :P