Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1517215 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #15945 on: September 10, 2021, 01:18:34 pm »
Going L.A./Anaheim next week. Anyone know anywhere in particular to hit for good deals on games or comics?

tpugmire

« Reply #15946 on: September 11, 2021, 10:59:58 am »
I hit a few stores in LA a few years ago when I was there, but didn’t see any great deals. Pretty much the same overpriced stuff I could get at home. I don’t recall the names, but there were plenty of stores I found just by googling.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

telly

« Reply #15947 on: September 17, 2021, 08:53:13 am »
So, is it time to start gaging interest for Secret Santa this year?   :D
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

soera

« Reply #15948 on: September 18, 2021, 11:40:45 am »
Yeah its getting close to that time.

kashell

« Reply #15949 on: September 18, 2021, 12:04:21 pm »
September already! This year has flown by.

« Reply #15950 on: September 20, 2021, 11:06:06 am »
Hopefully the sign up window is fairly long.  I hurt myself at work a little over a month ago and I still haven't healed.  If I'm not better by the end of the sign up window, I probably won't be taking part this year.

kashell

« Reply #15951 on: September 20, 2021, 11:24:00 am »
Ouch. Hope you feel better soon!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15952 on: October 04, 2021, 02:46:51 pm »
Earthworm Jim may have a great sense of humor, a great soundtrack, and good graphics for it's time; but it's stage design can be downright confusing at times.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15953 on: October 04, 2021, 05:20:09 pm »
Earthworm Jim may have a great sense of humor, a great soundtrack, and good graphics for it's time; but it's stage design can be downright confusing at times.

I love the idea of Earthworm Jim, but the game has some spots that just suck.
The whole Heck level is stupid.  I hate how it’s laid out. The submarine part is dumb. It’s artificially hard.
The game is a great idea. I just wish it had worked out better.  I like the game, I just want to LOVE it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15954 on: October 04, 2021, 06:29:40 pm »

The whole Heck level is stupid.  I hate how it’s laid out. The submarine part is dumb. It’s artificially hard.
The game is a great idea. I just wish it had worked out better.  I like the game, I just want to LOVE it.

The Hell level was exactly the level I had in mind when making this post.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 10:11:26 am by burningdoom »

« Reply #15955 on: October 07, 2021, 12:20:09 am »
What would someone recommend...Yakuza 7 or Lost Judgement?  My interest in the Yakuza series has been mixed, I played Zero and Kiwami awhile back and while I did find it kinda grindy and the story kinda dragged on too long, I do enjoy aspects of the open world and all the side stuff you tend to do in them.  I'm not super interested in doing any of the other Yakuza games, so I thought I might look at the newest one.  Maybe it's wrong to compare them, but I think Lost Judgement is essentially what the regular Yakuza games are like right? You got your big serious story, but then you got an open world to explore and fight your way through and you got a lot of side quest stuff to do, some of it goofy...

I guess what I am asking is which game has the kind best city experience, if one is any better than the other, the side quests, anything to accomplish like buying business or collecting stuff, anything generally like that.  Or if they are too similar other than the different gameplay styles, I guess I could see myself going with Yakuza 7 for how much more overtly wacky the game looks to be.

« Reply #15956 on: October 07, 2021, 09:13:00 am »
7 is Like a Dragon, right?  It's a completely different playstyle - turn-based RPG as opposed to real time action combat.  It's the first Yakuza I've really wanted to play for that reason.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15957 on: October 07, 2021, 09:59:48 am »

I personally didn’t mind the Heck level, but that submarine level…
That’s the level that really kept me from enjoying the game. Very frustrating and seemingly went on forever.

Battletoads is in a similar boat for me. I actually got pretty good at the widely-detested Turbo Tunnel, but that @!?& snake level did me in almost every time. Too much trial and error.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 10:01:54 am by undertakerprime »

« Reply #15958 on: October 07, 2021, 10:58:06 am »
What would someone recommend...Yakuza 7 or Lost Judgement?  My interest in the Yakuza series has been mixed, I played Zero and Kiwami awhile back and while I did find it kinda grindy and the story kinda dragged on too long, I do enjoy aspects of the open world and all the side stuff you tend to do in them.  I'm not super interested in doing any of the other Yakuza games, so I thought I might look at the newest one.  Maybe it's wrong to compare them, but I think Lost Judgement is essentially what the regular Yakuza games are like right? You got your big serious story, but then you got an open world to explore and fight your way through and you got a lot of side quest stuff to do, some of it goofy...

I guess what I am asking is which game has the kind best city experience, if one is any better than the other, the side quests, anything to accomplish like buying business or collecting stuff, anything generally like that.  Or if they are too similar other than the different gameplay styles, I guess I could see myself going with Yakuza 7 for how much more overtly wacky the game looks to be.
So yeah, you'll have to make your own decision, but Y7 is turn based RPG instead of beat em up action combat.  You do have tons of side quests, business building stuff, and RPG style class system and a variety of characters.

Lost Judgment, which I just recently started as it just came out, I can only speak too much of.  The game follows the combat style of Yakuza games, but it's a detective game, there are cases to take and solve, investigations, etc.  It's a different kind of beast from Yakuza, Yakuza is just straight up fight fight fight, and Judgment does fighting, but they also do stealth missions, investigations, etc.

Regardless, if you think the story of Yakuza is way too long and drawn out and you just plain don't care for it... you're going to have the same experience with either Y7 or Lost Judgment.  I personally get pulled into the story of these games, and while I know stuff is long and gets drawn out, I enjoy it.  An example is I'm playing one of these games, I'm at the final boss fight, I'm like ok, I'll do the last fight and call it a night because it'll be the end credits... the end of the final boss fight to the end credits, is legitimately like 45 minutes of cutscenes...

Based on what you're saying, I'd be inclined to recommend you Y7 because A) it's cheaper (free on Game Pass ;)) B) different combat system and C) I know it has tons of side content that you're calling out for, I haven't played enough Lost Judgment to say what it does have, but I'm certain it's not as much as Y7 for what you're looking for.

Warmsignal

« Reply #15959 on: October 10, 2021, 03:07:10 pm »
I'm just now learning that the original Xbox requires the DVD playback kit (which includes it's own remote) in order to play DVDs at all. That was kind of surprising to me. It's one area where I can surely say the PS2 hardware was ahead of Microsoft. Just pop a DVD in and play, control it with your Dual Shock. No BS necessary. For the longest time, I just assumed this was how the Xbox worked as well.

I was trying to experiment with the video output on my 4K TV, since DVDs look like hot garbage playing on modern devices, I was curious how it'd look coming from a source that only outputs 480p. I figure it still won't look good, but might look better. Ideally I'd just play them on my 480p CRT for best results, but XBOX requires this little doohickey which I don't have. Lord even knows where my PS2 fat is these days.