Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1516861 times)

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #16335 on: March 28, 2023, 03:04:44 pm »
I still collect, I'm just far more frugal and picky about my purchases these days.  If I started downsizing it would only be specific targeted things like my Virtual Boy collection.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16336 on: March 28, 2023, 06:59:58 pm »
What is this, VG Uncollect? VG Expel? We systematically make sure we don't own things, and track what we've gotten rid of?

Besides myself and mabye Wartoy, and TheFlea, I'm pretty sure no one here really likes to collect anymore.

I do. I have a collecting problem. Not just games, comics and movies too. Season sets have been my focus lately.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16337 on: March 28, 2023, 07:29:35 pm »
What is this, VG Uncollect? VG Expel? We systematically make sure we don't own things, and track what we've gotten rid of?

Besides myself and mabye Wartoy, and TheFlea, I'm pretty sure no one here really likes to collect anymore.

Not at all, my man. I love my collection. I just realized that I don’t love everything in my collection.
To me, part of collecting is curating. A fine library of books doesn’t include the Penthouse Forum and every clipping of Garfield from the Sunday paper.

I’m still a collector. I’m just not a collector of everything

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16338 on: March 28, 2023, 08:05:49 pm »
I've just been more focused on building my HO model train layout and getting a nice speaker system put together.

Actually just found a nice pair of Yamaha NS-A635A speakers at goodwill for $20 total on Friday.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 08:14:06 pm by redblaze57 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16339 on: March 28, 2023, 08:36:50 pm »
I've just been more focused on building my HO model train layout and getting a nice speaker system put together.

Actually just found a nice pair of Yamaha NS-A635A speakers at goodwill for $20 total on Friday.

All aboard the HOOOO TRAIN!

Warmsignal

« Reply #16340 on: March 28, 2023, 09:05:10 pm »
A fine library of books doesn’t include the Penthouse Forum and every clipping of Garfield from the Sunday paper.

I'd have to argue a fine library consists purely of the above mentioned.

« Reply #16341 on: March 29, 2023, 01:08:27 pm »

Despite the size of my collection and my purchasing habits, I never really considered myself a collector in the first place, I always bought things with the intent of playing them (good or especially bad).  These days I find myself playing via emulation, so owning things physically doesn't make much sense to me anymore... except for more modern things.

That said, life has been pretty stressful the past couple of years for me so all the things I normally enjoy have lost their luster and I'm pretty apathetic to most things these days.

That all said, the curation talks are pretty valid, there are things I wouldn't sell because I care enough to keep them even if I don't play them, and at that point that is collecting/curating.  so :shrug:

Warmsignal

« Reply #16342 on: March 29, 2023, 06:26:13 pm »
That said, life has been pretty stressful the past couple of years for me so all the things I normally enjoy have lost their luster and I'm pretty apathetic to most things these days.

This would be an indication that you shouldn't make any drastic decisions right now. Sometimes you'll do things while in a funk, thinking they'll help you feel better. It might not have the effect you're hoping it will, and then some day when you're feeling back on your feet again, you'll start to wonder why you did some of those things, like sell a bunch of your collection.... and in today's market, it's not likely you're gonna get any of that back without spending way more. It's not that you'll need that stuff per say, but maybe you'll still wish you had it.

I've committed to the ambition of playing my stuff, and then as I experience more of it, I'll take a step back and determine if it's something I want to keep or not. I even have crazy notions of maybe starting a channel some day, just purely as motivation to play all my games, in the form of let's play style videos. It doesn't really matter to me if anyone watches, I just want to chronicle the playing of a lot of games that I've bought over the years. We'll see.

« Reply #16343 on: March 29, 2023, 08:10:23 pm »

Despite the size of my collection and my purchasing habits, I never really considered myself a collector in the first place, I always bought things with the intent of playing them (good or especially bad).  These days I find myself playing via emulation, so owning things physically doesn't make much sense to me anymore... except for more modern things.

That all said, the curation talks are pretty valid, there are things I wouldn't sell because I care enough to keep them even if I don't play them, and at that point that is collecting/curating.  so :shrug:

Pretty much this in some respects. I have been going through some stuff in the past few months and taking efforts on my self to better myself and so far things have been going well mentally. One of the aspects that I would like to improve is to declutter hence why I am in the mindset of hey let me get rid of this case some games and curate what I have. Stick with things I want to keep around and get rid of things I dont feel like I need that will hopefully find a new home. I guess in a sense I am more or less content with what I have now and not wanting to add as much as before if I can help it.

kashell

« Reply #16344 on: March 30, 2023, 08:07:56 am »

Not at all, my man. I love my collection. I just realized that I don’t love everything in my collection.
To me, part of collecting is curating. A fine library of books doesn’t include the Penthouse Forum and every clipping of Garfield from the Sunday paper.

I’m still a collector. I’m just not a collector of everything

I wanted to say something similar to this. The only difference is that I've never really been a collector. It's been 99% gamer, 1% collector. New tastes in gaming, new hobbies, new interests and more have allowed me to prune and curate what I own as I see fit. Not everything belongs in it anymore.

I still like this site to keep track of what I actually do have. (I also use Game Eye).

« Reply #16345 on: March 30, 2023, 12:34:27 pm »

This would be an indication that you shouldn't make any drastic decisions right now. Sometimes you'll do things while in a funk, thinking they'll help you feel better. It might not have the effect you're hoping it will, and then some day when you're feeling back on your feet again, you'll start to wonder why you did some of those things, like sell a bunch of your collection.... and in today's market, it's not likely you're gonna get any of that back without spending way more. It's not that you'll need that stuff per say, but maybe you'll still wish you had it.

I've committed to the ambition of playing my stuff, and then as I experience more of it, I'll take a step back and determine if it's something I want to keep or not. I even have crazy notions of maybe starting a channel some day, just purely as motivation to play all my games, in the form of let's play style videos. It doesn't really matter to me if anyone watches, I just want to chronicle the playing of a lot of games that I've bought over the years. We'll see.
I want to be inclined to agree with you, but this feeling has been a long time for me, literally years.  Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy and buy PS4/5, NS, X1/XS games and even now I'm starting to buy Steam games now that I have a Steam deck, but with Retro Achievements encouraging me to go for emulation, I'm choosing emulation 10/10.

At what point do you say I'm not making this drastic decision because of how I'm feeling short term, but I am indeed making a good decision because it's just not something for me anymore.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16346 on: March 31, 2023, 07:03:53 am »
Man, I forgot how I had always intended to get a midnight purple 3DS and it just never happened. Now that the eShop is closed, I've got a better excuse. It could be my software modded 3DS. Trouble is, finding a mint or near mint Nintendo handheld, is like finding a mint condition chew toy in a pitbull's dog house. I have an original box for one, but finding an acceptable unit would be quite the accomplishment.

At what point do you say I'm not making this drastic decision because of how I'm feeling short term, but I am indeed making a good decision because it's just not something for me anymore.

I dunno, take all of that stuff off of the shelf that's staring at you, put it into tubs and store it away and tell yourself you sold it. Some time later, go digging through all the stuff you forgot you had. See if it's more like re-discovering gems, or just crap you don't want. Might even try just re-organizing your stuff. I always try to preach don't organize by alphabet, you can't understand what you're looking at that way, it's just a bunch of random games. Organizing by genre. It makes a big collection seem like a bunch of smaller sub-collections that you will be more inclined to tackle.

sworddude

« Reply #16347 on: March 31, 2023, 07:22:24 pm »

I want to be inclined to agree with you, but this feeling has been a long time for me, literally years.  Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy and buy PS4/5, NS, X1/XS games and even now I'm starting to buy Steam games now that I have a Steam deck, but with Retro Achievements encouraging me to go for emulation, I'm choosing emulation 10/10.

it can never hurt to get rid of shovelware titles would definitely clear up a ton of space.

You can do what Warmsignal said with the decent to good stuff. and dig those up at a later point in life.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

covfefe2020

« Reply #16348 on: April 01, 2023, 03:04:37 pm »
Hi guys! its been a while, looks like I logged in for the first time since February 2022 just to catch some of you having epiphanies about buying things you don't really want. Good on ya! As for me, I badly miss actually getting to play my collection, but I'm so busy with school that I don't know if I have the time to even update my collection on the site. Next time I catch myself laying around I'll probably get around to organizing all my power cords and video cables for unused systems into plastic bags like I wanted to.
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

« Reply #16349 on: April 01, 2023, 07:43:49 pm »
Man, I forgot how I had always intended to get a midnight purple 3DS and it just never happened. Now that the eShop is closed, I've got a better excuse. It could be my software modded 3DS. Trouble is, finding a mint or near mint Nintendo handheld, is like finding a mint condition chew toy in a pitbull's dog house. I have an original box for one, but finding an acceptable unit would be quite the accomplishment.

I dunno, take all of that stuff off of the shelf that's staring at you, put it into tubs and store it away and tell yourself you sold it. Some time later, go digging through all the stuff you forgot you had. See if it's more like re-discovering gems, or just crap you don't want. Might even try just re-organizing your stuff. I always try to preach don't organize by alphabet, you can't understand what you're looking at that way, it's just a bunch of random games. Organizing by genre. It makes a big collection seem like a bunch of smaller sub-collections that you will be more inclined to tackle.
I actually almost never even go into my game room anymore.  The hallway leading to the room is barricaded with stuff being stored.  I only push my way through to get in there if I need tools because I keep my tools in there for some awful reason.