Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1662123 times)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #6240 on: March 02, 2015, 09:34:57 pm »
Bah, I hate it when a game explains how to do every basic thing that anyone who's ever played a video game could figure out, but then when they have a weird mechanic that's extremely important to know - nothing. I just got murdered by a psychotic shop keeper in Sorcery Saga because he thought I was stealing from him, when it makes zero sense how you're supposed to pay him & the game tells you nothing.  >:(

"use left joy stick to move"

Ya no crap lol.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #6241 on: March 03, 2015, 08:06:18 am »
Bah, I hate it when a game explains how to do every basic thing that anyone who's ever played a video game could figure out, but then when they have a weird mechanic that's extremely important to know - nothing. I just got murdered by a psychotic shop keeper in Sorcery Saga because he thought I was stealing from him, when it makes zero sense how you're supposed to pay him & the game tells you nothing.  >:(

*sigh* The nature of rogue-likes is trial and death. Don't worry, I think everyone who played that game (self-included) had to deal with that. By the time you get more powerful gear, you can actually wreck the shopkeeper and steal all of his goods. It's really satisfying and you get some nice experience from it. I'm just glad to see that others are checking out Sorcery Saga. Another friend of mine on a different forum is going through it now, too. It was one of the more tedious platinum trophies I earned, but overall it was a lot of fun.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6242 on: March 03, 2015, 10:14:15 am »
I hate games with long cut scenes and you can't skip them... 10x worst when you are playing the game through again.....

1049-2600-8730

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6243 on: March 03, 2015, 10:26:11 am »
I hate games with long cut scenes and you can't skip them... 10x worst when you are playing the game through again.....

This! Played a mission of FFT yesterday and I hate that I can't skip the pre-mission cutscenes when I have to restart 4 times because the AI character gets himself killed

mrnikon

« Reply #6244 on: March 03, 2015, 01:38:21 pm »
D2 on the Dreamcast comes to mind...

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6245 on: March 03, 2015, 01:40:13 pm »
I forget what game it was, I was playing it on ps3, and the check points in the game were behind screwed up.... For example, you died during the mission, and all of a sudden, the check point takes you ahead as if you beat the mission/stage/area of the game.... its like wth, i died and suddenly it just skips that part.....

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #6246 on: March 03, 2015, 02:35:57 pm »

This! Played a mission of FFT yesterday and I hate that I can't skip the pre-mission cutscenes when I have to restart 4 times because the AI character gets himself killed

Mustadio or Rafa?

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6247 on: March 03, 2015, 03:01:06 pm »

Mustadio or Rafa?

Mustadio. Luckily only had to restart 3 times. Don't spoil anything this is my first playthrough. But the idiot the first time around rushed all the knights and none of my characters could even reach him to heal before he got killed. At least 2nd time around he was smart and just took the high ground.

How far am I in the game? Been playing 20h because I go and do housekeeping between each major battle. I feel very high leveled for the story haha.

kashell

« Reply #6248 on: March 03, 2015, 03:13:47 pm »
You're about half-way through, IIRC. Chances are you'll always be at a higher level than the foes in a story battle. Just...get ready to have more infuriating AI when you deal with the other person I mentioned.

Man, such a great game.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6249 on: March 03, 2015, 03:55:57 pm »
You're about half-way through, IIRC. Chances are you'll always be at a higher level than the foes in a story battle. Just...get ready to have more infuriating AI when you deal with the other person I mentioned.

Man, such a great game.

Halfway? Shit I felt like I was barely through the game at all haha. I guess the map does keep getting more and more expansive.

argyle

« Reply #6250 on: March 03, 2015, 05:07:12 pm »

*sigh* The nature of rogue-likes is trial and death. Don't worry, I think everyone who played that game (self-included) had to deal with that. By the time you get more powerful gear, you can actually wreck the shopkeeper and steal all of his goods. It's really satisfying and you get some nice experience from it. I'm just glad to see that others are checking out Sorcery Saga. Another friend of mine on a different forum is going through it now, too. It was one of the more tedious platinum trophies I earned, but overall it was a lot of fun.

No, I understand that - this isn't my first rogue-like. ;) I just hate when I get killed because of something the game didn't tell me. I wanna say the last RL I played - Guided Fate, I believe - when you started to leave the room w/ the shop keeper that's when he asked you to settle up with him. So that's what I expected here. 

At any rate, it's not like it stopped me from playing, was just an annoyance I had to vent about. ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

maximo310

« Reply #6251 on: March 03, 2015, 09:31:50 pm »
 Quick question: Is Ys: Memories of Celceta a good game? I've been thinking of getting the Silver Anniversary Edition for the contents, and I've heard from a few friends that its a pretty fun action rpg.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6252 on: March 03, 2015, 09:34:29 pm »
Quick question: Is Ys: Memories of Celceta a good game? I've been thinking of getting the Silver Anniversary Edition for the contents, and I've heard from a few friends that its a pretty fun action rpg.

I haven't played this Ys game, but I did try to play a couple of the early ones. And I've got to say, the "running into enemies" mechanic is quite weird. I just couldn't get past that. You literally walk into enemies to fight them, and every time you do it takes some damage from you and some damage from them.

I don't know if they still do that in the series. But if they do, I'd advise that you may want to give it a shot or watch videos before buying it and see if that kind of game mechanic works for you or not.

maximo310

« Reply #6253 on: March 03, 2015, 09:47:24 pm »

I haven't played this Ys game, but I did try to play a couple of the early ones. And I've got to say, the "running into enemies" mechanic is quite weird. I just couldn't get past that. You literally walk into enemies to fight them, and every time you do it takes some damage from you and some damage from them.

I don't know if they still do that in the series. But if they do, I'd advise that you may want to give it a shot or watch videos before buying it and see if that kind of game mechanic works for you or not.
Apparently this one is a bit different from the ones you described cuz the gameplay footage has you and two other people running around in a 3d world, and it doesn't look like you run into enemies but instead you'll take a lot of damage if you don't plan your attacks very well. So maybe the mechanics have changed alot since the first entries, but its looks pretty smooth and the combat system is pretty good, so I'll probably pick it up soon then.

desocietas

« Reply #6254 on: March 04, 2015, 04:08:16 am »

This might be a good question for Foxhack, but I've played most of Ys Seven and loved it. If your friend has it for a good price, I'd say bite.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas