Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1528075 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #7500 on: July 06, 2015, 10:52:11 pm »
disgaeniac hasn't been around in a while. Has anyone heard from him?

desocietas

« Reply #7501 on: July 06, 2015, 10:56:26 pm »

no posts since about a month ago, but it looks like he's still signing on to the site. maybe he's just taking a break from the forums?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

bobster

« Reply #7502 on: July 07, 2015, 07:20:00 am »

no posts since about a month ago, but it looks like he's still signing on to the site. maybe he's just taking a break from the forums?
I talked to him over PM just yesterday. Only one though. He mentioned he's busy cleaning the pool, grill, etc now that it's summer time.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

abe

« Reply #7503 on: July 07, 2015, 08:04:52 am »

I spoke to him through PSN the other day. He still seems to be playing games regularly. Like bobster said he's probably just been busy with other things.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

kashell

« Reply #7504 on: July 07, 2015, 09:20:10 am »
Right on. I'm glad all is well.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7505 on: July 07, 2015, 12:58:30 pm »
I ordered the 5 HDMI port thing. Should be in today. So ill be pluging in all my HDMI systems/
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7506 on: July 07, 2015, 01:11:20 pm »
Guys,

I've been looking into Collectorz.com 's cataloging product for a little bit of time now. Not that I dislike the site but I feel like that thing is far more robust. Anyone have any opinions or head anything about the tool at all?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7507 on: July 07, 2015, 01:26:39 pm »
A few years ago, those programs were incredibly useful. Nowadays, though, there are websites that catalog any number of collections FOR FREE:

Video Games - VGCollect, Darkadia, RFGeneration, and GameTZ
Music - RateYourMusic.com
Films - RateYourMusic.com, FilmAfficianado
Comic Books - StashMyComics.com, comicbookrealm.com

Why pay for this stuff when you can do it for free?

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7508 on: July 07, 2015, 02:22:31 pm »
A few years ago, those programs were incredibly useful. Nowadays, though, there are websites that catalog any number of collections FOR FREE:

Because when I look at their tool compared to stuff like other websites it seems very full fledged and easy to manage. Its an actual database with a really nice skin around it; just a very different feel than our website here.

desocietas

« Reply #7509 on: July 07, 2015, 03:51:38 pm »

Because when I look at their tool compared to stuff like other websites it seems very full fledged and easy to manage. Its an actual database with a really nice skin around it; just a very different feel than our website here.

Hey, whatever works for you :)  I know there are some features that folks may want that the current database is lacking, but I love that Matt is willing to hear any suggestions that we may have for the site.  That sort of interaction keeps me coming back to VGC.  My collection is also not growing fast enough for me to warrant using a new system.  There are definitely some features I'd still like, but nothing that is a dealbreaker here for me.

I haven't tried Collectorz myself, but if you're really super interested, maybe try out the free trial?  Just looking at the site myself, I'd prefer something that shows all contents of the game, if possible, or makes mention of important aspects of a product (for Collector's Editions, this is important).  It looks like they might not have images of the backs of games, and no indication that they have any images of the cart/disc inside.  For a program like that, I'd want the option to be able to view the disc or cart on the virtual shelf if that's what I owned (not the front of the box).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7510 on: July 07, 2015, 04:24:32 pm »

Hey, whatever works for you :)  I know there are some features that folks may want that the current database is lacking, but I love that Matt is willing to hear any suggestions that we may have for the site.  That sort of interaction keeps me coming back to VGC.  My collection is also not growing fast enough for me to warrant using a new system.  There are definitely some features I'd still like, but nothing that is a dealbreaker here for me.

I haven't tried Collectorz myself, but if you're really super interested, maybe try out the free trial?  Just looking at the site myself, I'd prefer something that shows all contents of the game, if possible, or makes mention of important aspects of a product (for Collector's Editions, this is important).  It looks like they might not have images of the backs of games, and no indication that they have any images of the cart/disc inside.  For a program like that, I'd want the option to be able to view the disc or cart on the virtual shelf if that's what I owned (not the front of the box).

True. No way I'd leave the community here but as someone who works with databases a lot the way we are set up is far different than what I'm used to and what I seem to like. I think I'll try out the free version and see how it goes. Thanks des!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7511 on: July 07, 2015, 05:21:13 pm »
Anyone else just browse their collection on here and marvel at the majesty of it?  That shit is impressive.  Sometimes I look and think, "Holy shit!  I guess I need to quit looking for that.  It's already in my collection."

maximo310

« Reply #7512 on: July 07, 2015, 08:26:21 pm »
Anyone else just browse their collection on here and marvel at the majesty of it?  That shit is impressive.  Sometimes I look and think, "Holy shit!  I guess I need to quit looking for that.  It's already in my collection."
I'm amazed at how much some collections have grown in only a short period of time. I remember when I had only 30 games or so about 5 years ago; its crazy to see how much stuff I have now that I've gotten into this hobby.

foxhack

« Reply #7513 on: July 07, 2015, 08:48:58 pm »
Guys,

I've been looking into Collectorz.com 's cataloging product for a little bit of time now. Not that I dislike the site but I feel like that thing is far more robust. Anyone have any opinions or head anything about the tool at all?
It costs money. That's an automatic D- rating. :P

Also there is -a lot- of stuff that the program does not cover. I don't know how difficult it is to add variants or non-gamey stuff...

Warmsignal

« Reply #7514 on: July 07, 2015, 09:26:50 pm »
I'm amazed at how much some collections have grown in only a short period of time. I remember when I had only 30 games or so about 5 years ago; its crazy to see how much stuff I have now that I've gotten into this hobby.

Here is what my "collection" looked like in 2005, since most all of the stuff I grew up on went to my older sibling by default, this is what I was left with. Except for my PS1 and games which I didn't think to picture here.

Remember when everybody had a Dell? Remember when CRTs were a thing?  :P Notice the PSP setting atop of the TV, this was shortly after first getting one.

Here is what it looked like in 2008.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:30:37 pm by Warmsignal »