Author Topic: Google + GameStop Platform  (Read 1108 times)

psydswipe

Google + GameStop Platform
« on: October 19, 2012, 06:51:41 am »
I recently took a survey about a new console that reminds me a bit of Ouya, mainly because it plays Android games on a TV. Not sure if anyone is reporting on it yet, of course anyone who takes the survey isn't even supposed to say anything but I'm sure one of the big sites will get word of it. It's a box from Google and GameStop that plugs into a TV and uses broadband Internet or Wi-Fi and plays Android games, as well as big games from such companies as "Square Enix or Namco." The controller is wireless and has a keyboard on the back of it. It's also supposed to have all the usual apps like Netflix, Hulu Plus, Facebook, Twitter, Skype, etc. The survey put the cost at $99, though games are sold separately.

Re: Google + GameStop Platform
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:29:07 am »
Sounds pretty cool, and at just $99 I wouldn't mind forking over the cash to try a new type of console. Google has made some pretty neat stuff--my chromebook is one of the best tech purchases I've made.

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 01:56:38 pm »
I'd be into it if only it didn't have anything to do with Gamestop. Ugh. I don't trust them to keep this thing around for long.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 02:02:45 pm »
I'd be into it if only it didn't have anything to do with Gamestop. Ugh. I don't trust them to keep this thing around for long.

I was thinking the same thing but Google is massive and I would assume they'd be calling the shots and not letting GameStop screw everything up.

godnightshade

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 02:20:28 pm »
GameStop screws everything up. Worst place ever. Ask our fearless leader.

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 02:54:38 pm »

I was thinking the same thing but Google is massive and I would assume they'd be calling the shots and not letting GameStop screw everything up.
Gamestop's upper management has no idea what to do with their business. So I don't trust them.

What's worse, I expect this to use some horribly closed source platform which means we won't be able to use other programs in it. :(

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 03:05:21 pm »

Gamestop's upper management has no idea what to do with their business. So I don't trust them.

What's worse, I expect this to use some horribly closed source platform which means we won't be able to use other programs in it. :(

Well lets expect the worse and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be something awesome. I don't think Google would want to create something that uses a closed source platform, would they?