Author Topic: Are retro games harder than current-gen?  (Read 6147 times)

Re: Are retro games harder than current-gen?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 12:53:26 am »
I think part of that appeal is that you can spend exactly as much time on them as you want - matches usually last a fixed (and short) period of time and while everyone wants to win unless you're in a super-serious clan it doesn't really matter what the end score is to anyone else but you.

I'm basically just rephrasing what I said before: I think people are happy to be challenged, but because of increasing real-world commitments those challenges need to be in short user controlled chunks.

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 09:50:39 pm »
I say yes!!! i can beat just about any game i've played on gamecube and up!! nes,snes,n64 are much harder for me! you can't save,some games you only get one or two lives.. i mean even kids games back in the day were hard as hell to beat!
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 06:56:23 am »
Sometimes I play recent games but mostly I play retro games

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 09:04:58 am »
Ninja Gaiden on Xbox and part 2 on 360 make me want to kick puppies! Just as the originals did >:(

none of that sigma nonsense...

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 04:02:41 am »
YES!  One of the big reasons I switched to retro games is because of the difficulty.  Most of my friends at school say that retro games are so easy and I should play real games like Halo.  I would like to see the looks on their face if they played something like Wizardry!  Of what I have played this is what I would consider to be the hardest and I am slowly making my way though it making my own maps.

You give me hope for our future.

Thank you.

Edit to add :  If you are playing Prooving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, Murphy's Ghost is the key to that game.  Lots and lots of killing Murphy's Ghost.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:08:03 am by trinitis »

pacpix

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 05:37:12 pm »
Yeah that is what I have been doing, I kind of stopped playing the game for a while though as I am currently trying to kill my backlog starting with SNES.  With some Christmas/Birthday money I will buy the archives for PC and start it up again though. 
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

starbronze21

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 04:10:04 pm »
Definitely, as mentioned before, this was done on purpose to extend the play time of older games. Because unlike now where 20+ hour games is a normal thing, back then they had to do SOMETHING to make people drop $50 on a new game. SO they made them hard to keep you playing it again and again and again and again and again and again and again AND AGAIN!! (Course some games were just good ;)
I'm more of a hardware collector than a game collector. I collect consoles of all colors of the rainbow! Woo!