Author Topic: What is your irrational gaming fear?  (Read 2773 times)

htimreimer

Re: What is your irrational gaming fear?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 03:20:09 am »
My wife screams when I fall from a tall ledge or building in 3D platforming games.  Falling off freaks her out.

My irrational fear is that games on a physical format will soon be history.  I cringe at the thought of a digital-only marketplace, where our collections will fill a hard drive rather than shelves in our game rooms.  The thing is, it's not really irrational, since it's coming.  The next-gen XBox/PS systems will most likely push downloads over disc purchases; some used games are already being gimped if you try to play them online.  The newest iMac doesn't have a disc drive.  Mobile devices are pushing digital-only games like Angry Birds and crowding out the 3DS and Vita.

The day I can no longer walk into Best Buy and buy a physical game is the day I'm no longer a modern gamer.  On that day, I'll revert to the thousands of games on cart and disc that I have yet to play.
I also agree with you on fully digital and think its the developers thinking that it will end piracy but its not gonna end piracy

ko1ru

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 10:05:24 am »
... My irrational fear is that games on a physical format will soon be history.  I cringe at the thought of a digital-only marketplace, where our collections will fill a hard drive rather than shelves in our game rooms.  The thing is, it's not really irrational, since it's coming.  The next-gen XBox/PS systems will most likely push downloads over disc purchases; some used games are already being gimped if you try to play them online.  The newest iMac doesn't have a disc drive.  Mobile devices are pushing digital-only games like Angry Birds and crowding out the 3DS and Vita.

The day I can no longer walk into Best Buy and buy a physical game is the day I'm no longer a modern gamer.  On that day, I'll revert to the thousands of games on cart and disc that I have yet to play.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.  Long live physical media!

blipcs76

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 10:42:02 am »
I also agree with you on fully digital and think its the developers thinking that it will end piracy but its not gonna end piracy

I think more than piracy, they want to kill off used sales.

soera

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 05:57:30 pm »
I cant understand the concept of killing off used sales. Every game starts off new. They got their money. Whats the problem? It just stops people like myself from getting the newer systems cause 95% of the time the games I buy are used. If I cant buy any used games for a system, I most likely will not buy the system.

jobocan

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 06:47:36 pm »
Companies have the irrational concept that most people who buy a game used would have bought it new if the lower-price alternative didn't exist, and that's basically why they want to eliminate the used market. It makes no sense and I think the main console manufacturers know that, but it has to be conveyed to publishers somehow. The easier solution would be to reduce game prices across the board to make people more willing to buy games new, but that's not gonna happen with the constant increase in production costs and completely ridiculous number of copies games need to sell in order to turn a profit (example: Dead Space 3 needs to sell 5 million copies to not be a failure for EA... that's not far from what the first 2 sold combined, for comparison).

I wouldn't say I fear the digitization of gaming, but rather I fear the idea of giving game companies more power than they should have in regards to how much they charge for games since going fully digital means there's literally no alternatives other than hoping the publishers drop their prices. It can get to a point where games become too expensive to buy in general, and I don't think anyone wants that.

thecollector0o7

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 07:08:15 pm »
My biggest irrational gaming fear that gets my heart racing every time is the Hands in zelda OoT when I see those shadows appear on the floor I run as fast as I can.