Author Topic: odyssey 2 video cable replacement help  (Read 1869 times)

htimreimer

odyssey 2 video cable replacement help
« on: December 12, 2012, 04:24:47 pm »
my odyssey 2 needs its video cable replace and i found this site that can help me do just that but there's is one problem and that is they dont say what type of cable i need to buy other then rca style video cable and i would like to know if anyone know's what type of cable it is

byron

Re: odyssey 2 video cable replacement help
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 04:59:27 pm »
There's only one kind of RCA cable. It's called RCA cable.

If I were you, I would dig around in my garage and find one of these:

Then I'd peel one of the cables off the other two and use that.

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 02:21:44 am »
you can use those type if cables on a odyssey 2 without modding it first and thats not what the site is about
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:25:16 am by htimreimer »

byron

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 12:58:53 pm »
Uhh... Yes it is?

I understand that you want to replace your Odyssey2's proprietary cable with a standard RCA cable, but you don't know what kind of RCA cable to get. Therefore, I am informing you that all RCA cables are the same and you can probably find one in your junk drawer somewhere.

Is this not what you want?

tpugmire

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:47:20 am »
All RCA connections are the same, although the cables vary. In the article, the point seems to be about upgrading to a better shielded cable. If you want to do this, I'd suggest going to Radio Shack and seeing what they have. I bought a shielded audio cable there a long time ago to use for a similar upgrade on a different system. Also, Best Electronics sells a great upgraded cable for Atari systems, but it should work for the Oddysey as well. 

If you don't care about upgrading and just want it to work, the cable Byron suggested will work. Just split the yellow one off and use it. Then you'll be left with a set of stereo cables.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

htimreimer

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 10:03:34 am »
All RCA connections are the same, although the cables vary. In the article, the point seems to be about upgrading to a better shielded cable. If you want to do this, I'd suggest going to Radio Shack and seeing what they have. I bought a shielded audio cable there a long time ago to use for a similar upgrade on a different system. Also, Best Electronics sells a great upgraded cable for Atari systems, but it should work for the Oddysey as well. 

If you don't care about upgrading and just want it to work, the cable Byron suggested will work. Just split the yellow one off and use it. Then you'll be left with a set of stereo cables.
thanks

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 03:00:03 pm »
For the record I also came across that same site and found great success modernizing my Odyssey 2000.  The whole story can be found at http://kaokensho.blogspot.com/2018/03/magnovox-odyssey-2000-repair-and.html
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:33:01 pm by shadowzero »