Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 278614 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1650 on: July 29, 2019, 10:14:29 pm »
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

It’s pretty good, but hoooolllly shit did Tarantino indulge himself this time.  It’s too long and has shit ton of tangents that don’t actually advance the plot in any way.  It’s all well-written, constructed, and acted, but not really needed.

« Reply #1651 on: July 30, 2019, 01:22:57 pm »
Orange is the New Black - Season 7

The best the show has been in years.  Still spending a little too much time on the more boring characters (Daya, notably), but as a final season it ends pretty strong.

« Reply #1652 on: August 06, 2019, 08:24:53 pm »

Got to finally watch Detective Pikachu and I really enjoyed it.  It's charming and fun.  They did show abit too much in the trailers, but its still a good time and definitely up there as basically the best videogame based movie I think.  It nails the Pokemon stuff, they look like the Pokemon, it's well put together, I can't wait to see what they do in the sequel.

« Reply #1653 on: August 07, 2019, 07:21:03 am »

I watched all three seasons, followed by the movie, followed by the revival series.

It's a sometimes good, sometimes frustrating, occasionally great show.  The early stuff is hampered by an over melodramatic flare and looking like it was filmed on the super cheap, while the movie and revival series look fantastic and (generally) avoid the melodrama, but doesn't have quite the same flavor and tone.  Overall not the best thing I've ever watched, and not something I'd be eager to revisit, but I definitely enjoyed my time.

« Reply #1654 on: August 09, 2019, 02:52:56 am »

Finally finished the last of the 90's Rebirth of Mothra movies.  Don't really know why it took me this long to finish them, though the second movie was mostly because the first one wasn't so great.  Like it's not bad, but it was generally kind of boring.  The movies definitely got better and more exciting with each release, having more of a family adventure feel going on.

I was kinda surprised to see that King Ghidorah is the villain in this one as they had Desghidorah in the first movie, who is literally just a four legged version of Ghidorah in black, but Ghidorah is a classic villain, so I don't mind it too much.  He's got a nice updated design here, still fairly classic, but just a lot more nice detailing, looking more like traditional Japanese dragons.  Though getting an original baddy again would've be better.  We do get a redo of "Baby Ghidorah", not doing that utterly terrible idea from '91 with three little creatures that mutate in Ghidorah, and Baby Ghidorah is adorable.  Also adorable are these puppet T-Rex's and Triceratops.  Like they look pretty good in design, but you can tell they are quite small and don't look monstrous in the slightest lol One story thing they never explained is why Ghidorah steals children.  He puts them in some dome for awhile and yeah it's clear he'll eat them, but it isn't like its said Ghidorah likes the  taste of them more or how he's able to magically kidnap them, and what it has to do with the dinosaurs going extinct...It's weird, but it's not story ruining lol

The Rebirth series have been pretty fun and I do recommend them to Kaiju fans, even if they are more family oriented compared to what Godzilla or Gamera was doing at the time.

Next up is the ORIGINAL Mothra movie, because they re-released a nice new version of it on Blu-Ray and I have never seen the original, same for Rodan..  Hopefully a re-release of that is coming too due to King of the Monsters reviving popularity in him.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 02:57:12 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1655 on: August 09, 2019, 03:31:24 am »
I think I'm the only one who has not posted in this thread, I honestly don't remember what the last movie or anime I watched in full. Maybe someday when I'm older I will sit and watch more movies more often, but there is so little time in life and none of us will ever see every single great movie or anime or show or even get to play every game to it's fullest or even hear every song in our entire lifetime.

(off topic and religious stature)
I therefore believe that even if I die tomorrow I will continue to live in another world where anything would be possible and I won't ever die again. I don't consider this just a religious belief but an actual fact, from the things I have already seen.

but I only talk about with mainly other Christians because I don't want to cause a argument or a fight in which some people can get violent when it comes to other personal beliefs.

I won't say anything more on here. if you want to learn more than google in quotes

"Modern Christian Believers" a link for a facebook page should come up
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:45:22 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #1656 on: August 09, 2019, 08:55:56 am »
Toy Story 4. A must watch for Toy Story enthusiasts, Pixar and animated films fans. Debatable whether this is the best in the series, but definitely a worthy entry.

« Reply #1657 on: August 09, 2019, 10:05:22 am »
Kamikaze, did you see the Showa Criterion Collection release that is coming in October?  It looks insane.

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/2648-godzilla-the-showa-era-films-1954-1975

« Reply #1658 on: August 09, 2019, 03:29:23 pm »
Kamikaze, did you see the Showa Criterion Collection release that is coming in October?  It looks insane.

Yeah I'd love it, but it's enormously expensive for a set that I don't really need since I own nearly all of them on Blu-Ray already lol I do need Son of Godzilla and I think Destroy All Monsters or All Monster's Attack, but they are like some of the worst Godzilla movies, so it's not all that enticing.  The artwork though for the movies are so good though.

« Reply #1659 on: August 10, 2019, 12:00:55 am »

Aside from the first movie I never cared as much for the Showa era. The movies are incredibly cheesy and campy even for my tastes. I adore the Heisei era, and the Millennium Era is amazing too.

« Reply #1660 on: August 10, 2019, 12:06:55 am »

Aside from the first movie I never cared as much for the Showa era. The movies are incredibly cheesy and campy even for my tastes. I adore the Heisei era, and the Millennium Era is amazing too.

I will always enjoy the Showa era for all the practical effects, suits, etc, that makes them charming, but they are absolutely my least liked Godzilla movies usually compared to everything '84 and on.  There's stuff strewn about that I liked, but it can be a mixed bag.  Godzilla Raids Again is one worth going back to if you liked the first one, because it's the last Godzilla film of that era before they go goofy with King Kong vs Godzilla and is generally a continuation of the first film.

« Reply #1661 on: August 11, 2019, 04:38:25 pm »
GLOW Season 3
Still great!

Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Still a masterpiece.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Too much framing device, not enough Scary Stories.

Big Mouth
Binged the entire series.  Somehow completely relatable and also utterly foreign and bizarre.

Widows
Pretty decent heist flick.  Really cool stuff going on with the cameras in this.

« Reply #1662 on: August 17, 2019, 10:27:44 am »
The last anime I watched was Sword Art Online Alicization. It was pretty good overall, but some of the things that happened near the end of the season left me scratching my head.

Looking for some more anime to watch, so if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

« Reply #1663 on: August 17, 2019, 07:34:25 pm »

I'm not a huge horror fan in general, even if there's horror games and media I like, but I usually don't go out of my way for something scary or super gory and all that.  I always had a casual interest in The Cabin in the Woods, heard good things, but also felt like I had the movie spoiled for me, that the twist it had was ruined.  Decided I'd just dive in anyways, and turns out the movie wasn't ruined at all.  I won't spoil anything here, but it's a fun horror movie that's way more interesting than I thought it was going to be, having fun playing up all the horror cliches and tropes.

The only real negative I have for the film is that the CG is abit low budget at times, but I don't think it does anything to hurt the film at all.  Also it's still weird seeing Chris Hemsworth in anything that isn't Thor related, even after seeing him in the awful Ghostbusters reboot lol It's just hard to disconnect from the character at times, but of course he's still good here for the role.

Was in a movie mood, so figured I'd watch Kingsman: The Golden Circle. The first movie was a fun spy action flick and the sequel is much the same, though I don't think this one is as good as the first.  Not that it's a bad movie, but it does the thing that a lot of sequels do, which is to go "Let's do what we did before, but ramp it up to 11".  The first movies big action set piece was the crazy church massacre scene, mixing in CG and clever camera/editing work to make the scene seem like one take and they do it here again, but it's so ridiculous, it just feels like I'm almost watching an animated movie at points.

It's still basically "James Bond on crack" with it's over-the-top style, but they might've taken it a notch to far.  Also weirdly Channing Tatum is barely in the movie.  He's there for a chunk of the earlier film, but then find a way to sideline him for the rest of the film.  Thought him running around with Eggsy was gonna be pretty fun.  Overall, I still had fun with it, even if I thought they were taking the CG too far and maybe need to reel the style back in.  Maybe with the prequel coming up they'll try to keep it stylish, but have some substance brought back in to feel like things have some proper weight to it.  I feel like most action movies now just need to take a cue from John Wick lol
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:06:35 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1664 on: August 27, 2019, 08:50:26 pm »

Watched King of the Monsters again and this is definitely my favorite Godzilla film.  Gorgeous visuals, both the human stuff and the monster stuff is great, its just an amazing movie.  I could certainly nitpick a few things here and there, but overall it's exactly what I wanted out of the movie and I'm so excited to see what they got planned for Godzilla vs King Kong next year.