Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275796 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1935 on: April 24, 2021, 09:07:03 pm »
Mortal Kombat (2021) was fine.  The opening and the end were pretty good, but the middle is kind of a mess that is really only saved by the comic relief character.  A good foundation and I'd like to see a sequel, though.

covfefe2020

« Reply #1936 on: April 25, 2021, 12:22:21 am »
I saw zoolander last night, that was weird.
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

« Reply #1937 on: April 30, 2021, 05:59:38 am »

With Falcon and the Winter Soldier done and hearing rumors of NetherRealms maybe developing a Marvel fighting game, it got me in a Marvel mood, which means watching Marvel cartoons and finishing my Marvel marathon.  Just watched Ant-Man and the Wasp and while the Ant-Man movies are generally lower on my list of the MCU films since they don't have particularly memorable villains and threats, they still can be quite funny and playing around with all the growing and shrinking is entertaining.  Just got Captain Marvel left and then on to Endgame.  That'll finish me up till Black Widow is out in July.

« Reply #1938 on: May 03, 2021, 05:46:03 pm »
Career Opportunities

I'm surprised this movie isn't way more popular. I found it randomly while browsing Tubi. Super entertaining. Most of the movie takes place in a Target store at night. The main actor is really good. I'd watch it again.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1939 on: May 04, 2021, 02:10:57 pm »
With the recent purchase of Ant-Man & The Wasp, and Spider-Man: Far From Home I now own the entire Marvel Studios Library! Always a nice feeling to complete a collection.

« Reply #1940 on: May 06, 2021, 10:29:52 am »
Whiplash. Second viewing. Intense as ever. 9/10

« Reply #1941 on: May 07, 2021, 09:55:20 am »
Michael Clayton - Hadn't watched it since release and I've got more of an appreciation for it now.

In the Mood for Love - Beautiful and moving.  Just terrific.

Jason and the Argonauts - I thought I'd seen this before, but guess I hadn't.  A little cheesy in spots, but is fun as heck.  Love Harryhausen stuff.

Short Circuit - Hasn't aged great.  It's still an ok time, and Ally Sheedy is a delight, but Fisher Stephens in brownface was definitely a... choice.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 03:07:29 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #1942 on: May 09, 2021, 06:24:16 pm »

The Mitchells vs the Machines was pretty hilarious, it's very stylized with the snappy humor, reminds me of like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs or Hotel Transylvania in that sorta way to me, just a real good time.

« Reply #1943 on: May 11, 2021, 03:47:47 am »

I finally started to watch Bubblegum Crisis on Blu-Ray that I picked up abit ago, and boy I think this might be the oldest anime I've watched in a real long time, all the way back in 1991.  Been really wanting to watch this after listening to the music so much over the past year or two.  It's great going back to old anime like this, it's just got a style that I miss from modern anime.  Like I love modern anime, but pre-digital art just has such a strong style to it.  The transfer from the original work looks pretty great too.  That said, the subtitles they are using are abit crappy, weird two tone to separate different people talking, either in yellow/green, or white/grey, where the white is good, but the grey isn't.  Super weird.

The music is implemented pretty well into the show, it's a very strong component of the action which I love.  It might stand out a little bit much at times, but I'll take that over too subtle lol I'm glad this will likely be an important element  for much of the show.  It is kinda hilarious with how language changes that the synthetics are called "Boomers" lol

I love the combat suits the girls have, the Knight Sabers all have their own cool looks, very Henshin/Super Sentai.  I will say, this first episode/OVA is SUPER Akira inspired, like it's very obvious with the one of the Boomers starting to absorb other metal into it and there's all this tentacle stuff happening lol I do feel like the story was a little rushed at points, but it's enjoyable for just the general action and visuals.

Probably not gonna rush through all of the episodes, mostly just to savor it though I'll probably start watching more somewhat older anime soon as I've been meaning to get back to my watch of Dragon Ball GT, which I stopped, because boy those early episodes are rough.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:50:18 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1944 on: May 12, 2021, 12:30:02 pm »
The Stanford Prison Experiment (2015) 8/10

I'm sure most are fairly familiar with the famous Stanford Prison experiment. This is a great re-enactment of exactly what unfolded during that experiment. It's always makes a film great when you know it is a completely true story and not a script. A fascinating watch.

« Reply #1945 on: May 22, 2021, 04:32:34 am »

While I haven't been a fan of Snyder's for a very long time, I think he was a terrible choice for DC and still do, the one thing I did actually like was his very first movie, which was Dawn of the Dead, it was a remake that ended up being less of a remake, more its own thing using the mall setup, but generally I really liked it.  So hearing he was returning to familiar ground with this movie Army of the Dead, I was actually looking forward to it despite everything he's done since.  I think generally it's a pretty reasonable zombie flick, the action isn't bad, I like most of the stories setup and what not.

That being said, I think his time at DC, head of all these big movies, I don't think it was good for him, because this movie just didn't nail it like I wanted.  It just feels like two distinctly different movies in tone, where it's trying to be this ridiculous schlocky zombie action flick with some gruesome, bloody, deaths, and smart zombies, and a lot of humor throughout.  But then it's all this melodrama of Bautista with his daughter and a former girlfriend he's working with, or the daughter and this Vegas refugee she wants to save, or this smuggler trying to help the refugees also, I don't know, I just don't feel it blends well.  Like if I say "A Vegas heist movie set in the zombie apocalypse", you imagine something ridiculous, but it's not enough that.  It just drags too much at certain points with the drama and trying to surprise folks with deaths and what not and I would just rather it not been that as much.  Like one of the people they hire for the job is some youtube famous zombie killer, you can't be serious with something like that.

So unfortunately, I can't say it's super great.  It's not bad, like if I had to rate it, it would maybe be like a C, it's totally fine zombie schlock, but I would've rather it had embraced how ridiculous it was abit more, rather than leaning harder on the drama that no one is gonna want out of a movie called "Army of the Dead".  It honestly makes me want to go back and rewatch the Dawn of the Dead remake to make sure I'm not thinking too highly of it because of nostalgia or something because I haven't watched in a number of years now.

Thinking about it, I know he didn't direct or write it, but with Suicide Squad, this is somewhat similar to that, where it feels like it's trying to be more goofy than it really is most of the time, but at least Army of the Dead feels more cohesive than that as I hate Suicide Squad, but Army of the Dead is just fine.

Couldn't get to sleep, so decided to just go back and see what I thought of the Dawn of the Dead Remake, being that I hadn't seen it in so long and I gotta say, better than Army of the Dead for sure.  It just feels way more cohesive to me in general and while it does have some of that 2000's edge that hasn't aged super great, it is interesting to see Snyder's first film compared to his latest.  You can kinda see some of what would be his trademark styling here, like his love of slow motion shots, before he went absolutely bonkers with it, and he has a weird thing with zombie babies...or that might just have been a nod to Dawn of the Dead in Army, I don't know, it's certainly creepy lol Still entertaining though and a good zombie flick.  Also still the only Snyder film I like.  Watchmen is alright, Man of Steel is alright, but I'm good with Dawn of the Dead.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 07:38:01 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1946 on: May 22, 2021, 08:57:45 pm »
Also checked out Army of the Dead, it's good fun, but it is way too long.  If it were about 90-115 minutes it would be a bit easier to take down.  Also a shame that once it gets going that probably the best (or second best) actor in the film is the first to go - keeping it vague to prevent spoilers.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 09:30:30 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #1947 on: May 22, 2021, 09:04:39 pm »
Also checked out Army of the Dead, it's goifld fun, but it is way too long.  If it were about 90-115 minutes it would be a bit easier to take down.  Also a shame that once it gets going that probably the best (or second best) actor in the film is the first to go - keeping it vague to prevent spoilers.

Yeah absolutely, there is no reason for this to be over 2 hours long and you feel it for sure.  It goes to all the drama stuff I brought up being dragged out way too much and if you cleaned this up, focus on it being a schlocky action flick, it would be a way better movie for it.  I don't think he knows how to edit himself anymore and I imagine it'll be a problem for his stuff for awhile until he has some flops that knock him down a few pegs.

« Reply #1948 on: May 28, 2021, 10:24:42 pm »
The Silence of the Lambs - Still a stone cold masterpiece.  So, so good.

Hannibal - Not awful, but too disjointed and has some weird stylistic choices.  The end is still great.

Those Who Wish Me Dead - Great dad-afternoon fare.  Kinda dumb, but quite entertaining.

« Reply #1949 on: May 31, 2021, 06:24:17 am »
Starting a rewatch into One Piece, so that's basically a bajillion episodes to watch, but I was in the mood for some One Piece before the time jump, some classic adventure stuff with the crew, so  I am going with the dub so I don't have to pay attention to subtitles while I game or do bead art.  So far it's been nice, a dozen episodes in, though the show on streaming is only in 480p quality, which is rough to get into with all the HD stuff these days lol Still watchable though.