Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 279842 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1980 on: July 25, 2021, 09:40:54 pm »

The new Jackass movie is coming out in a few months and I figured it would be a good time to rewatch all three of the movies.  I still enjoy how utterly stupid it all is, I've been basically watching this stuff since the beginning as it hit right when I was teenager going into highschool which was pretty much the target audience along with college guys .  The stuff I liked was always the ridiculous stunts, the pranks they'd pull on themselves, less the gross out shit which is easy enough to skip through lol

The third movie was actually one of the best times I've had with 3D in a theater lol I've been to a couple and like Avatar was great for the atmosphere it brought, but Jackass 3 did the most gimmicky 3D stuff in parts and that's what I want with 3D most of the time. I really wish I could watch the movie in 3D again, but I don't have any 3D hardware for that and it isn't as much of a thing anymore.  I wonder if I could use my Oculus Quest 2 to watch it in 3D again...

Oh and by watch "all three movies", I meant 5, because I forgot that Jackass 2.5 and 3.5 were extra stuff not in the movies, not just extended versions from the theater release, so I binged through those too lol
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 12:12:34 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1981 on: July 30, 2021, 08:12:53 am »
Gunpowder Milkshake - All style, no substance.  Felt like a waste of a great cast.

Rumble in the Bronx - Great Jackie Chan action.  Super funny and amazing stunts.  Just what you'd expect.

Jackie Chan's First Strike - Plot is very meh, and some of the stunts were better ideas than they were in execution, but the ladder fight is one of the best fights he's ever done.

Jackass 2.5 - Weakest of the films, pretty easily. Basically glorified DVD extras, but there are a couple good laughs here.

Pig - A fascinating and surprisingly moving film. It drags a lil in a couple of spots, but there are two scenes that make the whole thing totally and completely worth it.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - First watch since release.  About the only flaws here are the sequences shot at lower frame rates to increase the movement speed.  They stick out like a sore thumb.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 09:14:29 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #1982 on: August 03, 2021, 01:36:31 am »

I had been looking for a good documentary for the Korean War after watching the Ken Burns Vietnam War documentary, which was really good and in depth, but I wasn't finding too many in particular, but I just found out about this one, Korea: The Never-Ending War, a two hour PBS special on the history of the conflict that came out earlier this year that goes into the general overview of the leadup, the war, and what came after into the modern day, all the way up to Trump's involvement.  Overall it's quite good, though I would still like a far more in depth look into the actual war itself.  My Grandpa was in the war and from what my mother says, he didn't talk about it at all, so we know very little about his involvement.  I wish he had stayed around till I was out of my teens where I might've had more of a personal interest in learning about it from him, but unfortunately that wasn't to be.

It's a good watch if having any interest learning more about this war that was kind of forgotten in between World War 2 and Vietnam.  It's amazing how the war actually went, with North Korea almost taking over the entire peninsula right away, to then having US and SK forces knocking back NK all the way nearly to the Chinese border, both sides of the country practically flattened from the sheer destruction of it all and that it was even going to possibly lead to an invasion of China and the use of nukes.    That back and forth doesn't stop there as for a time, SK was considered the desolate, worse off, country, and NK the one growing strong and fast, until things changed and SK become the economic powerhouse, and NK has become ever more secluded and struggling.  It's all so tragic and infuriating with seemingly no way for the two sides to ever realistically sort things out with those that are in charge of NK.

« Reply #1983 on: August 05, 2021, 11:13:53 pm »

Well hey, guess I can say I like Suicide Squad now after this lol The first one was awful, hacked together to try and make it more like Deadpool at the time I believe.  The new one, because it has James Gunn doing it, is very much like Guardians of the Galaxy by way of The Boys.  A group of jerks/kinda messed up folks, forced to fight a threat, but it's just super crude and super violent lol Overall, it's dumb fun, some of the action can be entertaining, the humor works, it's probably gonna be one of my more well liked DC movies, because thankfully there's not a drop of Snyder influence anywhere around this thing.

« Reply #1984 on: August 07, 2021, 04:09:09 pm »
Also The Suicide Squad.  It's not as groundbreaking or revolutionary to the genre as a lot of the reviews are making it out to be, but it is still probably the best of the DCEU.  Reminded me a lot of Deadpool 2 - everything worked, but it just didn't come together quite right.

« Reply #1985 on: August 09, 2021, 08:00:17 pm »
Watched the new documentary "Val" about Val Kilmer, which was an interesting watch.  He was recording himself for many years behind the scenes, so get to see some off the cuff things from when he was a kid making films with his brothers, to the off times at his major movies, a general overview of his life and what his life is now dealing with the after effects of the cancer he made it through from that left him unable to talk.  His son narrates it, who sounds not far off from a very young Val which adds a lot compared to just getting some voice over actor or celeb to do it.  I imagine those who are more creatively inclined, actors, artists, etc, might get more of the deeper things he's trying to get across, but definitely worth a watch if you are a fan of his.

« Reply #1986 on: August 14, 2021, 03:04:55 am »

Monster Hunter: Legends of the Guild feels like one of those monkey paw wishes.  The live action Monster Hunter movie sucked because it had a real terrible story tacked onto a great world that just wasn't explored nearly enough and so I wanted to see them do a movie that felt more true to the MH world better.  What we got was this pretty awful "movie".  I can't really call it a movie, because it's less than an hour long.  It feels like either a movie that got cut real short because they realized they didn't have enough budget for it, or something that was maybe meant to be a tv series and was planned to be that, before getting chopped down to OVA length.  It's paced weird, I think it was made in Japanese first because how everyone interacts with each other feels too fast, dialogue coming quick, something that happens a lot with dubbing foreign films, but they went about matching the English dub lip wise, so it looks right, but that doesn't change the movement or pacing at all, so it's very strange feeling. 

Visually it's very rough.  It feels like a remastered cutscene to a game from the PS2 era, most faces and such are awkward, but that is unfair to some of the real good CG that you could find back then.  Everything else visually is okay, it's probably using models and stuff from Monster Hunter World, particularly with the monsters, but it's not great.  The sound design, something I don't often bring up with things, is abysmal.  Like they paid a random dude 20 bucks to come in and do sound effects in an afternoon, because there is zero impact to anything, there's no weight to anything and some effects are too loud, while others too quiet.  Like there's a fight with a spider monster and the hits sound like they are using a pillow to smack against things, it's really awful.  Also the action is just not good.

Story is lame, even for a very basic premise about saving a village from a rampaging elder dragon.  Like it could've been built up across a 4 to 6 episode mini series, or probably done alright in a full length movie, because there's no time to breath here, get to know all the characters, you don't care about anyone involved, so any emotional weight they try to tack on, doesn't work in any way.

So yes, I got my traditional monster hunter movie and it sucked and I hope they don't do anymore with this animation company ever again lol  This honestly reminded me abit of that Dragon Quest animated movie that came out abit ago.  I dropped it, because it was awful, but it also had some similar issues this had, but I care about Monster Hunter more, so I managed to at least get through it.

« Reply #1987 on: August 15, 2021, 12:34:47 pm »
Beetlejuice re-watch. There's so much unadulterated creativity on display here.

Dark Shadows is not as bad as the reviews would have you believe, but it isn't great either.  Better than Burton's Chocolate Factory and Wonderland, at least.

Dumbo was too much Disney and not enough Burton.  Shockingly unimaginative.

Big Eyes was fine.

Frankenweenie was better, but still not great.

I've now seen every Tim Burton directed film.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 11:15:54 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #1988 on: August 23, 2021, 04:55:30 am »
Starting a binge of Evangelion movies  with the release of the final new movie.  I was always mixed on Evangelion since I saw it as a teen, the deeper stuff went over my head, though it was great for the animation and all the mech stuff.  Having rewatched it with the Netflix re-release, my view still hasn't changed in particular.  I remember liking the movies when they came out.

Evangelion 1.11 - This is part one of the recap for the series, doing like the first half a dozen episodes in a pretty straight remake of the original series.  The pacing is kinda off, you can tell it's something chopped up to fit into a movie, but I think it works well enough.  Animation is great of course.

Evangelion 2.22 - Part two of the recap, though this one starts the shift in story from the original series, adding in new characters and story that'll lead into the new plot that changes everything from the original show.  Pacing feels a good bit better for this one as its not bound to the original shows story much.

Something that I feel would've been interesting to see after the original show was out, would be a prequel that's about the 2nd Impact and everything with that as they kinda don't really talk about it a whole lot in the show really, despite it being an apocalyptic event that wiped out half of humanity.  They talk about it abit more here with the new story, but still would be cool to see it explored more.

Evangelion 3.33 - I loved the new story for Evangelion they introduced, mostly because the original show had some well known issues and while I still don't understand a lot of the story, what we got was more cool scifi stuff and action.  Also boy, do I not know what the hell is going on at the end of this lol

« Reply #1989 on: August 24, 2021, 01:57:50 pm »
Jackass 3.5 - Way better than 2.5, but still not as good as the mainline entries.

White House Down - Big dumb fun, nothing more, nothing less.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1990 on: August 24, 2021, 03:16:20 pm »
Spider-Man: No Way Home Official Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgU7P6o-GkM

So...who's excited!!!

That sure as hell looked like a William Dafoe - Norman Osborn's Green Goblin pumpkin bomb...and Doc Ock from the Maguire movies! Holy crap! The rumors look to be true! 3 Spider-Men might actually be coming!

But even if that's not William Dafoe Green Goblin, it will still be pretty awesome to see an MCU version of Green Goblin or Hobgoblin!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 03:40:38 pm by burningdoom »

aliensstudios

« Reply #1991 on: August 24, 2021, 08:59:24 pm »
Spider-Man: No Way Home Official Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgU7P6o-GkM

So...who's excited!!!

That sure as hell looked like a William Dafoe - Norman Osborn's Green Goblin pumpkin bomb...and Doc Ock from the Maguire movies! Holy crap! The rumors look to be true! 3 Spider-Men might actually be coming!

But even if that's not William Dafoe Green Goblin, it will still be pretty awesome to see an MCU version of Green Goblin or Hobgoblin!
I've prided myself on having never watched a single Marvel Universe movie, but if they brought back Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, I'd have to check it out.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #1992 on: August 29, 2021, 08:22:44 pm »
Did a "bad" movie watch party at my house yesterday.  It included
Congo
Super Mario Bros.
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

Fun times were had.

Went to go see the new Candyman today.  Good, not great.  The last act is incredibly rushed and almost feels like it comes out of nowhere.  Also, every single kill prior to the finale is in the trailer, and that is just asinine.

John Carpenter's Dark Star.  Interesting, if flawed, early effort.

Southern Comfort - Fun early 80s action type, that has some interesting Vietnam and Deliverance vibes.

Star Trek: First Contact - Watched on Trek's 55th Anniversary. A genuinely great movie that also holds a huge nostalgia shaped place in my life.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - It rules, way harder than I expected. It's more martial arts than MCU and that's terrific.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 06:27:59 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #1993 on: September 17, 2021, 11:30:11 pm »

Finally got around to watching Black Widow and overall I thought it was okay.  If I had to place it somewhere in the Marvel movie scale, I'd say it was middling to lower, nothing bad, some good scenes here and there, I kinda wish we got more with Red Guardian (David Harbour) as he doesn't really get enough good action I felt.  Also I think they might've improved some of the visuals with the home release I'm guessing as I didn't really see anything bad in particular, as I remembered one in particular looking a little goofy.  If you are in for the Marvel movies, there's enough here to be worth the watch, just wait for it on Disney Plus when it's free October 5th.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 11:45:47 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1994 on: September 21, 2021, 06:46:06 am »
Virtuosity was quite entertaining.