Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280368 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2025 on: November 03, 2021, 11:26:42 am »
I hear a lot of people rave about Babylon 5, so I gave it a go. I finished the pilot movie, "The Gathering"...oh my gosh was that boring. Please tell me it gets better. Because if that was any indicator, there's no way it's better than the Star Trek shows like many have told me

The Gathering is pretty rickety.  Season one does definitely have growing pains, but unlike something like TNG, it is 100% required viewing for context for the remainder of the series, as there is stuff that is set-up extremely early on that doesn't get payoff until later.

Kingdom: Ashin of the North - Prequel movie to the KoreanKingdom series.  Had some ok moments, but didn't really do it for me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:41:20 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2026 on: November 05, 2021, 03:32:09 am »
Kingdom: Ashin of the North - Prequel movie to the KoreanKingdom series.  Had some ok moments, but didn't really do it for me.

I'll still give that a watch as I'm in abit of a Korean media mood after Squid Game and since we are still waiting on Season 3 of Kingdom.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2027 on: November 07, 2021, 09:18:25 pm »
Cabin Fever 2016 Remake

It was enjoyable for a single watch just to see the changes from the original. But it's not better than the original. You know how there was that one asshole guy in the original? Well it felt like all the college kids were that asshole. They were all completely unlikeable. And they were all incredible selfish (well, at least the blonde one that was the first victim wasn't selfish, but she wasn't likeable, either). And that really killed it for rooting for any of them to survive. You just didn't care if they all died. And while it was gory and all, it just didn't have that same shock factor that many of the scenes of the original had. The reveals in the original were just done better, in the way they were shot and the soundtrack that accompanied it. This didn't have that same oomph.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 12:01:42 am by burningdoom »

« Reply #2028 on: November 11, 2021, 03:41:50 pm »
Young Frankenstein - Still hilarious 50 years later.  It's a very specific kind of funny, but it is my kind of specific.

Hero - Not quite Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but still really damned good.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2029 on: November 11, 2021, 04:16:35 pm »
The Dead Next Door

I thought it was one zombie movie I watched as a kid, but it actually wasn't. It was an odd one. Great practical effects combined with some of the worst acting I've ever seen.

The zombie movie I thought it was has masked zombies. And I remember a particular scene where kids are running around and teasing a masked zombie. I can't figure out what it was.

« Reply #2030 on: November 12, 2021, 10:08:59 pm »
Watched Shang-Chi and had some good fun to it, was alot better than I was expecting, not that I had low expectations, but it was sandwiched between Black Widow, which was just kinda okay and Eternals, which doesn't look good at all to me, and being that I know nothing about Shang-Chi, so I was just gonna go with whatever they gave and hoped for the best.  I actually tried to minimize what I saw of it, and even the couple things that I thought were spoilery, really weren't.

The action in particular really stands out in this one, like there's a few parts that are very classic Chinese action cinema, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon style, but there's a lot of good hand to hand stuff for sure before it gets all big and power filled.  Definitely on the higher end of the Marvel flicks, not like a top 10, but on the other side of the midway point point for sure.

« Reply #2031 on: November 15, 2021, 09:53:05 am »
I did a whole action movie weekend with my SO out of town.

Beverly Hills Cop III - Way worse than I remembered, and I didn't like it the last time I saw it.
Hitman - Awful.  So bad that I'm fairly certain I'd seen it before but remembered exactly nothing about it.
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - Fun times.  Tries too hard to be stylish and that stops it from being great.
Peppermint - Death Wish with Jennifer Garner.  She commits to it hard, which keeps this from being a total snoozer.
Wheels on Meals - More screwball comedy than action - and almost none of the comedy worked for me.  Jackie Chan's last fight in it is an all time great, so that kept me from disliking this.
Mission: Impossible III - Even better than I remembered.  Terrific action flick.
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Not as good as I remembered.  The Burj Khalifa scene is still breathtaking, though.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 07:24:03 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #2032 on: November 17, 2021, 01:16:36 am »
I re-watched Eddie Murphy's Holy Man last night. I've seen every Eddie Murphy movie but that's one I didn't remember much of. Eddie Murphy doesn't do a whole lot and Jeff Goldblum is the actual star of it. I'd put it in the bottom half of Eddie's filmography. It would be better if Eddie Murphy did a bit more but it's still enjoyable. The whole behind the scenes of a home shopping network aspect kept me interested.

alligo

« Reply #2033 on: November 20, 2021, 06:58:45 pm »
Ousama Ranking.
It's really good.
https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar

« Reply #2034 on: November 20, 2021, 08:42:50 pm »
Eternals - I actually kind of dug it? It's interesting and ambitious, but also overstuffed and doesn't really present all of its ideas fully. Would have worked better as a TV show.
Chicken People - Documentary about people who breed show chickens. Pretty endearing.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 09:07:13 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2035 on: November 20, 2021, 08:43:02 pm »
Watched like 200 movies in the past year. I might do a big review synapsis thing where I give brief thoughts about each. Recently I watched

Cruella - Gripping although it could do with be an 1 hour and a half movie rather than 2 and a half. Theirs comes a point where it drags. But it tells a dark backstory to a childhood villain. Movie was good enough to entertain all ages :) 80/100

Jungle Cruise - The chemistry between the rock and Emily Blunt is palpable and they did an epic job when together on screen. But the plot is forgettable. 73/100

Black Widow - This movie is such a bore that it is part of the pig family. Boar? Eh? Well I mean it just sucks. Scarlett underperforms my already low expectations of her.acting abilities and the villian is so forgettable idk know his name. But I will say David Harbour did a great job as Red Guardian and his puns and action kept me awake lol. 55/100

More to come :)  Since ive been into movies lately. I was never a movie guy until recently or about a year. I love.this thread.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2036 on: November 20, 2021, 09:03:33 pm »
Ghostbusters Afterlife

It was good. It was a nostalgia trip aimed at fans of the original, but it did recycle maybe too much stuff from the original. Great special effects and fun characters. While enjoyable it didn't come close to the original two, though
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 09:14:03 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #2037 on: November 21, 2021, 02:45:51 pm »
I saw Grease last night on vudu. First time watching it in 4K. I will say it looked like it was released this week that's how clean the upscaling was :)

The movie is an instant classic and has stood the test of timefor a reason. Firstly, Olivia Newton John could sing well and dance decent. John Travolta could sing decent and dance well. Combine that and you get just a greaseer showdown of talents blending like PB and J where they fit eachothers style better than imaginable. The constant battle of dispair, trying to be cool and being in love for Danny Zuko is palpable on screen. In the song "stranded at the drive in" you feel the gut punch of losing his love. And an iconic race acene is the cherry on a musical sundae. Filled with stereotypes that don't force a narrative but rather gel. It works in all the right ways. Some may dig into it like a comedy and some may a romance or both. But always leave happy. Filled with pepsi cola ad placement and nostalgia is all that the cap gets popped on. Admist cancel culture, it is filled with culture that can't be canceled.  91/100

« Reply #2038 on: November 23, 2021, 01:05:42 pm »
Sister Act

Sister act carries a pace that few movies can carry and it does so while finding it's identity early on. Whoopi Goldbherg provides a stellar performance playing Vegas show girl turned coven nun "Mary Clarence" and fills this action and comedy double edged sword blissfully. On one hand you got a decently adrenaline pumpin borderline scorsasse mob movie hidden behind family fun. Like cayenne pepper in a spoon of mint oil. On the other hand you get a comedy as known with Whoopi. She can add comedy to any serious plot line and I love movies like that. She makes the deeper and more toned down moments in ghost excude this deeper caviard of comical relief that is like twisting a pressure guage on a action valve letting a laugh out in between gasps. This movie fills a lot of spots for the casual viewer and it's plot is simple enough to entertain children but adult enough to fulfill parents as well. One of those ones you just gotta see for yourself.

88/100

Sister Act 2

Sister act 2 takes everything the first did right but blends a dabgerous minds type "unruly school kids face a new tutor who connects with them enough to help them achieve heights they never thought possible" vibe that was prevelent in the 90s. And it just gels. Lauryn Hill gets her acting prowess tested and although a celebrity singer she holds up under acting with some of the greats in the business. Vocal range belts it out of the park but the star power isn't given to one mario kart racer but rather the whole track becomes rainbow road as well over a dozen kids blend as an orchestra of one. Humor is back. Serious topics are back. And a potential antagonist make it so the ending has you on edge. While the original set the way. The first paved the road. This one drag raced on it. And both themes are nice to see. But sister act 2 is a gem to behold and one for the whole family.

91/100

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2039 on: November 24, 2021, 05:58:22 pm »
Since it was before Thanksgiving, I let my students watch a movie, today. And they chose Star Trek: Beyond. Granted, it's not the best Star Trek movie, but still, I got to watch Star Trek at work and got paid for it.