Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 331204 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2490 on: October 04, 2024, 08:49:44 pm »
Black Friday - Sure, it has uber-stereotypical characters, but it's got ok laughs, fun effects, a couple of actual themes, and knockout ending.

Don't Look Now - Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie are terrific, and there are some really great and effective moments, but it takes way too long to really gear up.  Maybe it's just because I knew too much about it going in, but it felt a bit on the nose to me.

Bulbbul - A classic Gothic tale infused with Indian culture and heritage along with a gorgeous color pallette. Not afraid to get really dark,but I wish it leaned more into the paranormal rather than the inter-family drama.

When Evil Lurks - Weirdly reminded me of John Wick, in that it is this genre that you know, but the in context world building is new and completely different. Wildly brutal in places it is also very patient and uses it very judiciously. Demián Rugna is the real deal.

Milk & Serial - One of the most impressive micro budget productions I've ever seen.  Only one or two shaky performances, which is what usually plagues these.  It does just kind of end, which was disappointing, but execution up until them is pretty solid.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2024, 07:54:07 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2491 on: October 09, 2024, 07:12:47 am »
I never understood people who watch anime, but yesterday I decided to watch the anime “Naruto” and I was shocked. I liked it so much that now I can't take my eyes off it and I watch Naruto every day without stopping. I don't know how I didn't watch it before, because it's really interesting and now I understand why. I think I'm a new fan of Naruto and all the characters that are in it. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2024, 07:36:22 am by zadaket »

« Reply #2492 on: October 09, 2024, 08:07:37 pm »
Tenebrae - I really wish I connected with Argento's movies beyond more than vibes, but this is the one where the vibes have hit me the hardest.

The Wind - Sure, everyone has iPad face and the production design doesn't feel mega-authentic, but for the budget i think its solid.  It's moody, the performances are good, and it genuinely surprised me with the ending.

The Dark and the Wicked - Intensely atmospheric, filled with gloom and dread.  Expertly ratchets up the tension to an incredible peak, but unfortunately never manages to have any scares worthy of that much tension.  Tremendous performance from Marin Ireland here as well.

The Deliverance - An attempt to make a prestige or elevated horror film by someone who had no clue how to make an actual horror film.  The domestic drama stuff is actually kinda decent, but... damn does basically none of the horror stuff land.

Razorback - Basically half creature feature half straight up ozploitation.  There's loads of style on display, and the cinematography is killer.  It's a a tad clunky and the lead is pretty bland, but I liked it a fair bit more than I expected.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2024, 08:12:57 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2493 on: October 13, 2024, 09:56:13 pm »
Growing up, my introduction to a lot of beloved movie series started with me watching one of the sequels rather than the first movie in the series. Aliens, Back to the Future 3, and Indiana Jones and the Last Cruisade are just a few examples, but one other was Ghostbusters 2. I LOVED GB2 growing up and used to watch it, rewind it, and then watch it immediately again. I've probably seen Ghostbusters 2 10x more than I have the first movie which is generally considered the superior film. I don't remember when I watched the first GB movie, but it was at least a few years after I'd seen GB2 a dozen times at least. I rewatched GB2 this evening and I think I still prefer it to GB1. A lot of that is sentimental reasons, but some of it is I just find the plot and villain cooler. I also think it's funnier. Anyways, love GB2 and glad I got around to rewatching it leading up to Halloween.

« Reply #2494 on: October 14, 2024, 08:18:16 pm »
The Slumber Party Massacre - I wish I saw what other horror hounds see in it.  It's got a couple of alright jokes and the drill is cool I guess, but it's not funny enough to be a full blown horror comedy, and the kills are all nothing to write home about.  Barely an above average slasher for me.

« Reply #2495 on: October 15, 2024, 07:59:30 am »
Fist of the Northstar (80's Original)  :P

Love this anime since I first saw it in italian kids tv back in the 90's ...
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

« Reply #2496 on: October 15, 2024, 06:34:21 pm »
Galaxy of Terror - Made way more an impression on me this time around.  It should be no surprise that young James Cameron's production design is the highlight, but there are also a couple of really brutal kills and the atmosphere is nicely oppresive.

A Bay of Blood - It's apparent pretty quickly just how wildly influential this film is.  More thoughtful than its imitators but with a messier plot than most, with about one too many layers of twists and complications.  Wouldn't touch that final twist, though.

Spontaneous Combustion - Brad Dourif is a sweating screaming pyrokinetic.  Very, very fun
« Last Edit: October 17, 2024, 01:59:57 pm by Cartagia »