Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280193 times)

pacpix

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #990 on: July 23, 2016, 05:42:52 pm »
Watched Star Trek Beyond with a friend last night and it was awesome!  I really didn't care for the last two films (especially Into Darkness), but I felt that this movie was much closer to what I like about TOS. 
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #991 on: July 28, 2016, 06:49:37 am »
Just binge watched Stranger Things and that is a real awesome tv show.  Highly recommend, especially if you were a fan of 80's movies, but it's just as good on its own also.

tripredacus

« Reply #992 on: July 28, 2016, 11:10:02 am »
I have finally finished watching Fushigi Yuugi (Mysterious Play). I think the ending could be better, but I guess it turned out alright. It turned out I really did not remember it from when I watched part of it before, some 15 years ago. Also, I think this is a case where I was able to watch an entire anime series and on media I own. Everything else I have is bits and pieces.

doafan

« Reply #993 on: July 28, 2016, 03:54:14 pm »
This past weekend saw Mirror Mirror with my daughter at Cartoon Network and even when I really was expecting it to be a piece of trash have to admit that liked what the did with the story and totally loved Snow White the same day at night was searching something to watch at the Golden Channel and I found Coming to America with Eddie Murphy, dunno why the hell never saw this one before but it's pretty damn funny, at Sunday saw Thor: The Dark World and was neither disappointed with this one and that night of course saw with my wife and the little girls the event Battleground from the WWE.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #994 on: July 30, 2016, 05:41:18 am »
With Shin Godzilla coming out this year, I dove back into the previous Godzilla films.  Started out buying the last 4 movies since I believe the last one I watched was Godzilla 2000.

Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidora: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack - This was actually a little bit darker a few times more than I expected.  You see people die in Godzilla before, but never usually so blatant, particularly civilians.  It felt a tad more real at certain points if you look past the magic going on lol  Good stuff though.

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla - This one changes things back around to more familiar territory, bringing back the crazy scifi tech. It's also great seeing Mechagodzilla again.  Always a favorite of mine.  I do feel they kinda cheaped things down just a bit for this.  Some of the CG and green screens seem abit "meh", but it has some good stuff to it for sure. The dub also seemed abit cheaper too.  Just kinda goofy at times.

Godzilla: Tokyo SOS - Budget is back up abit and it's nice getting Mothra and its Larvae duking it out.  Mothra always seemed like the weakest, but very charming to still have fighting.  This feels abit like a retread in tone at times, but really, there isn't a lot of bad Godzilla to me lol Maybe some of the really old stuff, but generally Godzilla is always good fun.

Godzilla: Final Wars - The ultimate cheese, the ultimate Godzilla movie, all the monsters, crazy scifi, aliens, even bringing in mutant people.  Also it has the shit 90's Godzilla movie Godzilla in it, in completely poor CG, the only monster that is CG, and it gets wrecked instantly by the real Godzilla.  This could probably be the best simply due to the fan service of having so many monsters and it looks pretty great.  Also makes Godzilla look like a total badass.

After this, I'll just keep going backwards.  Basically going by era right now, so next is to get Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla vs Megaguiras, then everything else from 1998 to 1984 which is I think more of what my era was for Godzilla and what I remember more of, though I think I watched a good portion of the older stuff too.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:03:15 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #995 on: August 04, 2016, 01:28:50 am »

Sadly it didn't come out as good as it should've.  Voice wise, it's what everyone has always wanted, I will always love Hamill and Conroy, but the problem I think comes down to how they kinda cheaped out on the animation and how they tried to extend it to be a longer film.  Like 30 minutes of the movie is a new addition, showing of a Batgirl story basically.  I don't hate the addition, but it's mostly unnecessary.  I would've liked them to keep it a short 30 to 40 minutes if they had amped up the visuals.  They are just flat most of the time.  Very standard stuff, when the problem is that this is considered one of the most intense and well regarded stories for Batman.  The art is incredible and it's dark and twisted.  In the movie, when they have to recreate a few shots from the comics, it looks better, but overall this should've an animation juggernaut.

It's not terrible, but this should never have been "not terrible", this should've been incredible.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #996 on: August 04, 2016, 01:06:23 pm »

I started this series from Netflix last night. I watched the first 2 episodes, and I LOVED IT!

It's totally a love-letter to 80s movies. The way its shot, the way the characters act, the setting, the story, everything. And it's fan-freaking-tastic! It feels like The Monster Squad (or Goonies for those not familiar with Monster Squad) meets the X-Files. If you like that kind of stuff, you HAVE to check this one out.

« Reply #997 on: August 05, 2016, 01:27:03 am »

While the initial reviews haven't been good for this movie, I actually liked it.  I kinda went in with low expectations and generally I liked it.  They sadly did show way too much of the humor in the trailer, but the movie itself is fine.  I had some fun with it.  Everyone was pretty good as their parts and Harley turned out to be my favorite, despite not really liking her design, though they do give a nice nod to classic Harley in it.  The Joker was a mixed bag.  He was about what I was expecting, but didn't do anything to impress me.  We got a lot of the behind the scenes nonsense that Leto was pulling to make it seem like he was taking the Joker personality to far, but this Joker isn't nearly on the level of a Hamill Joker or Ledger Joker.  I'm okay with him, since this will be the Joker for the foreseeable future, but I felt like they were kinda trying too hard to be different that it doesn't turn out as good as it should be.

This movie is straight up garbage.  I was never on the hate bandwagon this movie got from the initial trailer, I didn't love the trailer, but I didn't hate it, I wasn't even entirely against a reboot, but they make this and think it's worth putting on par with the original? To through out so many nods to the original, but release this dumpster fire? I can't remember the last time I saw a movie this bad in theater and I've watched a few Transformer movies and the first TMNT 2014 movie.  I'm not even trying to be hyperbolic here, I didn't really laugh till the very end, where I laughed at 2 jokes that gave me a chuckle, and that was probably just because I was really wanting to leave.  The humor is just way too...self-aware I guess I'd say, like you get these jokes that just don't feel right, something you'd see in like one of those modern Scooby Doo live action movies.  It's simply not funny with the poop jokes or repeated chinese food jokes or that Kevin might nearly be retarded.

It's a movie that is both a bad Ghostbusters reboot and a bad movie in itself.  Like the only positive was that the tech was kinda fun at times, but that's all I could ever give this movie and it's a shame this was made.  They can't make a sequel off of this without completely abandoning everything from this movie, because that is how terrible it really is.  Take a well written and smart comedy like the original Ghostbusters and just run it into the ground with jokes about queefing, chinese food, and people soiling themselves. Great. Good.  AWESOME.  THANK YOU GHOSTBUSTERS 2016.

« Reply #998 on: August 08, 2016, 01:46:12 am »
Got a few more Godzilla films and marathoned a few with two to go.

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 - Diving back into the older early 90's stuff, it's got a little extra cheese that's great to enjoy.  At one point, they forgot to hide the strings lifting MechaGodzilla lol I forgot they introduced a proper baby Godzilla in this also, one that wasn't obnoxious like Minilla lol I always love Mechagodzilla, because you take the already awesome Godzilla and turn him into a robot with all sorts of lasers and missiles.  The best.

Godzilla vs Space Godzilla - I was glad to get back to this one, cause I love Space Godzilla's design so much.  Also we get an even more cute Baby Godzilla that I still love.  This one introduces Moguera, which is basically "Not Cool MechaGodzilla".  It's not completely awful, just more bulky and goofy than MechaGodzilla in design, but still interesting in that it splits apart too.

Godzilla vs Destroyah - I love that this is basically trying to rip off Aliens with the weaponry designs and that Destroyah basically  has mini-mouths like the xenomorphs do lol With mini Destroyahs, it introduced some extra bit of tension and on foot people battles that make sense.  Ending is pretty incredible though.

Just got Godzilla 2000 and Godzilla vs Megaguirus left and then I'll have to buy more, though not everything is out on Blu-Ray yet.  Return of Godzilla, the start of 85 to 2000 era Godzilla comes out next month.  Then I'm gonna looks at the 70's stuff that is available.  The farther back I go with these, the goofier they get lol

So excited for Shin Godzilla.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:03:47 am by kamikazekeeg »

desocietas

« Reply #999 on: August 14, 2016, 05:58:31 pm »
Saw Suicide Squad last night with no real expectations of it being bad or good.  In the end, I thought it was ok. The people I went with thought it was really good and, while I enjoyed it, the plot holes and throwaway side characters left me unfulfilled. Deadshot and Harley were great but the others could've been easily removed and the film would've been the same to me. I know group movies like this are very difficult to pull off, but I saw Guardians of the Galaxy for the second time recently and felt like that still held up and did a good job of giving every character a good chance at development. Like kamikazekeeg said, there was more humor in the trailer and some of the jokes in the trailer never made it to the final film, so I felt a little cheated.

Still, I liked Harley and how they handled her. Definitely not my favorite comic film and definitely hard to follow Deadpool from earlier this year.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #1000 on: August 14, 2016, 07:11:20 pm »
Saw Suicide Squad last night with no real expectations of it being bad or good.  In the end, I thought it was ok. The people I went with thought it was really good and, while I enjoyed it, the plot holes and throwaway side characters left me unfulfilled. Deadshot and Harley were great but the others could've been easily removed and the film would've been the same to me. I know group movies like this are very difficult to pull off, but I saw Guardians of the Galaxy for the second time recently and felt like that still held up and did a good job of giving every character a good chance at development. Like kamikazekeeg said, there was more humor in the trailer and some of the jokes in the trailer never made it to the final film, so I felt a little cheated.

Still, I liked Harley and how they handled her. Definitely not my favorite comic film and definitely hard to follow Deadpool from earlier this year.

It's kind of the one good thing about this, in that Harley was good and Joker was okay, though under used and over promoted, which makes it hard to really get a good feel of him.  It should've been an R-rated movie from the start and been much more violent.  They clearly were making the movie one way, more tame, and then Deadpool happened and they tried to turn it, but couldn't really do much more without overhauling a lot of it.  I think they tried too hard to make you care for these people more than you should.  Like a few had good characterization, such as Deadshot, Harley, and Flame Demon, but then Captain Boomerang wasn't (The heck was with the stuffed animal? Deleted scene?), Killer Croc wasn't, Slipknot was no one, and it turned into a movie that made no sense for the team that it was.

My only hope is that because it did well in the theater box office wise, we can get a sequel that works better.  It was clear that studio shenanigans from Warner Brothers was killing this movie.  Give the movie to a guy who knows what to do, and give us an R-Rated movie with badguys doing crazy shit.

It would be a great thing to do a Suicide Squad 2 after they do the next Batman movie so we get better time with The Joker and maybe have some new villains to work with.  Apparently Black Manta was in a version of the Suicide Squad at one point, so after they introduce him in Aqua Man, they can bring him to Suicide Squad.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:14:45 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1001 on: August 15, 2016, 05:05:33 am »
Continuing my Godzilla watching with three more movies.

Godzilla 2000 - I actually remember watching this one abit in the past, but it's sadly kinda poor.  The creature Orga is kinda cool, but he only shows up at the very end and has sort of a weak battle with Godzilla.  The whole thing is a tad boring really since the human stuff isn't really interesting enough I think.  It's also got kinda worse than usual green screening and CG I think.  Like Godzilla has never been a massively big budget film series, but it felt like this one was lacking, especially with being the start of the Millenium era for Godzilla.  Slightly disappointing.

Godzilla vs Megaguirus - General step up in entertainment value I feel, having abit of that Destroyah feel with all the monster dragonfly's around.  This one also suffered from some of the green screening issues and not the best CG, but it wasn't as bad as 2000.  One awful thing though was this weird slow motion they tried to use at a few parts with Godzilla, it's that awful like low framerate kind of slow motion, but then they weirdly have high quality slow motion near the end for just a celebration scene.  It makes no sense.  That issue with the green screen and not great CG does kinda affect the final battle I feel.  I know they had to use it, but it looks poor at times.  It at least had some of the fun scifi stuff back in after it was missing from Godzilla 2000.  Both this and Godzilla 2000 could be the weakest I've seen so far out of the Godzilla classics I watch, but 2 out of like 9 isn't bad lol

Godzilla 2014 - I actually haven't rewatched this one in awhile, since it released on Blu-Ray and while the soldier plot is not the best, not having Cranston as the lead or prominent in the story for longer, and that they only REALLY show Godzilla at the end, but still not fully, it's a good film.  I just hate that they felt the need to not show Godzilla enough. He gets two teases, and even at the end, they cut away from the big battle.  Brody isn't an interesting enough character, even if you try to shove him into nearly ever spot the monsters will be at practically.  I do like that they almost treat Godzilla as a good guy, which is a throwback to older Godzilla, but having that badassness you get from the later 90's/early 2000 Godzilla.  All they needed to do was show him.  Show him fighting in the airport for a short bit and then fighting the MUTO for another short bit and then really give us more of that battle you see in the background.  As much as that annoys me, there are still some amazing scenes in this.  Incredibly well made.

Ordered another double pack movie that should be here on Tuesday, so I'll get some more classic Ghidorah and Mothra action from the early 90's.  Getting closer to the slightly more goofy stuff lol In the mean time, since I'm in a Kaiju mood, I'm gonna pop Pacific Rim in tonight.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:19:37 am by kamikazekeeg »

gf78

« Reply #1002 on: August 15, 2016, 09:32:05 am »
Watched Akira this weekend.  It's been ages since I watched that!  It is still probably in my Top 5 anime films of all time.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #1003 on: August 15, 2016, 09:34:07 am »

For the most part, the Marvel movies have knocked it out of the park.  With the exception of the new Fantastic Four, they are all pretty watchable. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1004 on: August 15, 2016, 10:37:26 am »

For the most part, the Marvel movies have knocked it out of the park.  With the exception of the new Fantastic Four, they are all pretty watchable.

Fantastic Four is a Fox movie, isn't it?  It's not from Marvel Studios.