Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280146 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1035 on: October 11, 2016, 12:55:06 pm »

This movie is so underrated! The older I get the more I fall in love with it. There are long stretches of no dialogue and just what you're watching on screen unfold while amazing music plays in the background. It says way more by doing this than most movies ever could. It is incredibly effective in terms of conjuring up emotions as well. I might be mistaken, but this could be my favorite Arney movie.

Love this and it's sequel (Conan: The Destroyer) as well. Best fantasy movies ever made, until The Lord of the Rings Trilogy was made. (The music alone gets your blood pumping.)

Old Master: "CONAN! What is best in life?"

Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."

Old Master: "YES! Very good!"
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:35:32 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #1036 on: October 11, 2016, 01:14:37 pm »

This movie is so underrated! The older I get the more I fall in love with it. There are long stretches of no dialogue and just what you're watching on screen unfold while amazing music plays in the background. It says way more by doing this than most movies ever could. It is incredibly effective in terms of conjuring up emotions as well. I might be mistaken, but this could be my favorite Arney movie.

Love this and it's sequel (Conan: The Destroyer) as well. Best fantasy movies ever made, until The Lord of the Rings Trilogy was made. (The music alone gets your blood pumping.)

Old Master: "CONAN! What is best in life?"

Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them drive before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."

Old Master: "YES! Very good!"

I'll need to rewatch Conan the Destroyer. I used to rent it a lot when I was a kid, but I always remembered liking this one way more. And I agree about Lord of the Rings.

« Reply #1037 on: October 11, 2016, 10:11:52 pm »

Absolutely loved this movie.  It's a weird combination of bureaucratic tedium, fast pacing, and monstrous horror, which makes it sound contradictory, but it all works, being very much about the problems of bureaucracy in Japan being too strict and unwilling to bend and adjust to issues.  The pacing is about not holding anyone's hand, there's not tons of setup, not tons of unnecessary exposition, it's very direct, very to the point, it's doing what it needs to and getting there.  So much time is spent in meetings and in offices, there's no personal drama or cheesy side stories like past Godzilla's, there's not even the throwaway romance happening.  It's purely about how Japan will deal with Godzilla.

Of which, Godzilla is amazing in this.  Completely terrifying, like legitimately, he's completely freaky and unlike anything for Godzilla before and it's all handled as realistically as possible here and you really feel that destruction here.  Some times the CG is a smidge iffy, but other times it almost seems more effective than Godzilla 2014.

If you love monster movies, I definitely recommend checking it out as it's in limited release for a week.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1038 on: October 12, 2016, 01:33:31 pm »

"These violent delights have violent ends."

I was lucky enough to catch the first two episodes of Westworld thanks to a free HBO weekend, and damn am I glad I did! Such a great show that does the movie justice, and from the looks of it, will surpass the movie. I mean, Anthony freaking Hopkins is a regular!

If you don't know the story of Westworld it's set in the near-future. A company has created an adult amusement park that is an EXACT replica of the old west. Guests can do WHATEVER they want. They have manufactured people that work there that the guests can kill, screw, or abuse in any way they please.

But after years of being in service and playing different roles, these manufactured people are starting to mentally crack. One character in particular, who I think is one of the robot people (but not sure), is trying to figure out how the world works. While Anthony Hopkins plays the creator of this world who is trying to hold it all together.

I HIGHLY recommend this. I wish I had HBO to continue, but I don't. I'll wait until the entire season ends, then sign up for a free trial month and watch the rest.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:37:07 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #1039 on: October 13, 2016, 12:17:20 am »
Absolutely loved this movie.  It's a weird combination of bureaucratic tedium, fast pacing, and monstrous horror, which makes it sound contradictory, but it all works, being very much about the problems of bureaucracy in Japan being too strict and unwilling to bend and adjust to issues.  The pacing is about not holding anyone's hand, there's not tons of setup, not tons of unnecessary exposition, it's very direct, very to the point, it's doing what it needs to and getting there.  So much time is spent in meetings and in offices, there's no personal drama or cheesy side stories like past Godzilla's, there's not even the throwaway romance happening.  It's purely about how Japan will deal with Godzilla.

Of which, Godzilla is amazing in this.  Completely terrifying, like legitimately, he's completely freaky and unlike anything for Godzilla before and it's all handled as realistically as possible here and you really feel that destruction here.  Some times the CG is a smidge iffy, but other times it almost seems more effective than Godzilla 2014.

If you love monster movies, I definitely recommend checking it out as it's in limited release for a week.

Just got back from seeing this and HOLY SHIT!!!

I freakin loved, LOVED this movie! The best way I can describe it is the perfect marriage between Godzilla and Neon Genesis Evangelion (which is understandable since two of the people that were heavily involved in Evangelion's creation directed this movie). I lost my shit when Godzilla fought back and they did a perfect job at revitalizing the franchise. My only complaint was how they ended up resolving the issue with Godzilla in the end, which seemed a little less climactic than i would prefer. But overall this movie exceeded my expectations which were already pretty high :)

« Reply #1040 on: October 13, 2016, 02:49:29 am »

I freakin loved, LOVED this movie! The best way I can describe it is the perfect marriage between Godzilla and Neon Genesis Evangelion (which is understandable since two of the people that were heavily involved in Evangelion's creation directed this movie). I lost my shit when Godzilla fought back and they did a perfect job at revitalizing the franchise. My only complaint was how they ended up resolving the issue with Godzilla in the end, which seemed a little less climactic than i would prefer. But overall this movie exceeded my expectations which were already pretty high :)

I think the ending works because of the build up.  It's so insane how they worked out trapping Godzilla so that all they could do was hold him still and it had enough tension to it due to what would happen if they couldn't stop Godzilla.  This Godzilla really is incredible, though did you understand the very end? The little final shot? Without spoiling anything, I just didn't really understand what it means and I'm not surprised, being that it is from the Neon Genesis Evangelion guy, as that anime is just a bunch bullshit towards latter half lol

« Reply #1041 on: October 13, 2016, 11:28:05 am »

I think the ending works because of the build up.  It's so insane how they worked out trapping Godzilla so that all they could do was hold him still and it had enough tension to it due to what would happen if they couldn't stop Godzilla.  This Godzilla really is incredible, though did you understand the very end? The little final shot? Without spoiling anything, I just didn't really understand what it means and I'm not surprised, being that it is from the Neon Genesis Evangelion guy, as that anime is just a bunch bullshit towards latter half lol

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NOT SEEN THIS MOVIE BEYOND THIS POINT!!!!! I WARNED YOU!!!

With that out of the way lol, they were clearly opening it up for a sequel. Those things sprouting from its tail are definitely some sort of offspring. Even though they did not show it, my guess is that one of them escaped before Godzilla froze and that will be the premise of the sequel. It will likely come back to terrorize Japan again, and I theorize that there might be more than one of those things, one mutating maybe into one of the other villains, my guess is Gidorah. But that is what I took away from it.

« Reply #1042 on: October 13, 2016, 03:17:11 pm »
SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NOT SEEN THIS MOVIE BEYOND THIS POINT!!!!! I WARNED YOU!!!

With that out of the way lol, they were clearly opening it up for a sequel. Those things sprouting from its tail are definitely some sort of offspring. Even though they did not show it, my guess is that one of them escaped before Godzilla froze and that will be the premise of the sequel. It will likely come back to terrorize Japan again, and I theorize that there might be more than one of those things, one mutating maybe into one of the other villains, my guess is Gidorah. But that is what I took away from it.

CONTINUING SAID SPOILERS OF SHIN GODZILLA, SHIELD THY EYES!  DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY INTO THE ENERGY BLAST!

Okay, I misunderstood that then.  I actually thought they were almost humanoid and that the idea was Godzilla had absorbed people in some way, but I clearly just didn't get a very good look at them since it was a fairly quick shot.  That makes much more sense.

« Reply #1043 on: October 14, 2016, 02:22:44 am »

After watching Shin Godzilla last night, I felt compelled to watch the 2014 American Godzilla to compare them. I will preface this by saying I saw Godzilla 2014 in theaters when it came out and I felt mildly impressed by it, but it left a lot, I mean A LOT to be desired. Still, I left the theater being mostly satisfied.

After rewatching it tonight all I can say is that Shin Godzilla renders it almost unwatchable and boring by comparison. I felt very uninterested in the characters, the story, the Godzilla origin explaination. Hell, even the having two other monsters to fight as opposed to Godzilla being the only monster in Shin Godzilla couldn't even amount to how amazing Shin Godzilla is. I imagine that someday I will likely watch Godzilla 2014, but probably not until I forget how underwhelming it is compared to not only Shin Godzilla, but many of its Japanese counterparts.

In summary:

Shin Godzilla >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Godzilla 2014

« Reply #1044 on: October 14, 2016, 02:30:22 am »
In some ways, I think it's better, as the Cranston character and story is pretty great, but they screwed up by killing him when it wasn't important to the story in any way and it did realistic Godzilla before Shin Godzilla came out, Shin clearly taking some influence from that, but Shin definitely does it right by putting the focus on Godzilla.  Even at the most story heavy Godzilla could be over the years, there was still a whole lot of Godzilla happening.  Tease him once, but don't spend so much time making him a background element in his own movie.  It's why I love Pacific Rim so much, because they give exactly what people want to see.  The human stuff is good, the action is good, and we get plenty of great monster action.

azure

« Reply #1045 on: October 16, 2016, 11:22:42 am »

Finally got the time to see Shin Godzilla. Can't add much more to what the others have said in the thread. Big Godzilla fan, and I think this is a good direction for a resurgence in the series (no pun intended), glad to see Toho back. Also think Anno did a good job, enjoyed the little cameo of Eva characters as social media avatars during the film.

« Reply #1046 on: October 17, 2016, 12:10:56 pm »
enjoyed the little cameo of Eva characters as social media avatars during the film.

HA! I did not notice this! I will have to look for them the next time I see this movie :p

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1047 on: October 17, 2016, 12:23:51 pm »
ive been really wanting to watch spirited away again. havent seen it in years.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1048 on: October 18, 2016, 12:57:58 pm »

Heavy on the special effects and action, light on story. Good for a mindless action flick, as the effects and costumes are very impressive.

One thing that did bother me, though, is that they aren't even trying, in the slightest, to be similar to comic continuity. Things seem even more messed up, continuity-wise, than before Days of Future Past (which was supposed to fix continuity errors). Oh well, it was still enjoyable, if you can stop thinking about how it connects to the comics.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:07:42 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #1049 on: October 19, 2016, 11:00:35 am »

Heavy on the special effects and action, light on story. Good for a mindless action flick, as the effects and costumes are very impressive.

One thing that did bother me, though, is that they aren't even trying, in the slightest, to be similar to comic continuity. Things seem even more messed up, continuity-wise, than before Days of Future Past (which was supposed to fix continuity errors). Oh well, it was still enjoyable, if you can stop thinking about how it connects to the comics.

This was definitely the weakest entry since Xmen 3, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit.