Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280382 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1080 on: December 17, 2016, 05:27:38 am »
Just finished up Westworld and I thought it was pretty good.  It wasn't quite as epic as I heard others say, but it was very interesting and very different.  I was engaged every time some plot turn came up and I would try to figure out where the story would lead.  Not gonna spoil anything, but I think it's worth a watch.

tripredacus

« Reply #1081 on: December 18, 2016, 10:59:57 am »
Planet Hulk
Star Wars: Rogue One

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1082 on: December 21, 2016, 01:20:35 am »

I just finished rewatching this one.

This is one of the best Marvel movies. It may not have the biggest plot, or the baddest villain; but the dialogue and characters more than make-up for it. It has JUST the right mix of action and humor. And the comedic timing is spot on.

Michael Douglas is perfect as the aging Hank Pym. You can see the regrets of past decisions play out across his face as he struggles with the situation, decisions that we as comic fans know about, and I think the movie kind of gives you that inside nod on purpose.

Paul Rudd was a surprise when I first saw him, never expected him in a comic role. But he's perfect for the role. He has that snarky, but fun humor that fits the character just right. And as cheesy as they might be, I still really enjoyed his little crew of criminal misfits that helped him.

Personally, I'm placing this as the 4th best Marvel Studios film, in my personal ranking. After Iron Man, Captain America: First Avenger, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

soera

« Reply #1083 on: December 21, 2016, 10:14:00 am »
I enjoyed Ant man too. I had almost the exact reservations myself but the movie was really good. I was also pleasantly surprised by Guardians of the Galaxy. Figured it would flop cause in the Marvel universe they are unnoticeable characters but the movie turned out good.

Watched Suicide squad last night. I really liked it. 

Flashback2012

« Reply #1084 on: December 21, 2016, 11:37:07 am »
Went and saw Rogue One over the weekend. I went in expecting nothing and found it to be very enjoyable. No spoilers of course but there was plenty of Easter eggs to be found, cameos, etc.  :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1085 on: December 21, 2016, 12:48:58 pm »

So did I. Lots of action, great special effects and costumes, cool characters, and even a bit of humor in there.

And everyone I talked to that saw it seemed to like it, too. Yet the internet would lead you to believe it's a pile of garbage.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1086 on: December 21, 2016, 09:19:33 pm »

So did I. Lots of action, great special effects and costumes, cool characters, and even a bit of humor in there.

And everyone I talked to that saw it seemed to like it, too. Yet the internet would lead you to believe it's a pile of garbage.

I thought the same thing too.  It wasn't a pile of shit at all.  I didn't expect much and I've watched it twice.  It was fun both times.

« Reply #1087 on: December 23, 2016, 12:48:19 am »
Moana turned out to be pretty dang charming with some very catchy songs.  One called "Shiny" could've been sung by Tim Curry with how the actor did it in the movie.  If we could just rejuvenate Curry to his Rocky Horror age, he could've really pushed that song another level lol I'm glad I went with this over Passengers which I've heard kinda failed.

doafan

« Reply #1088 on: December 29, 2016, 01:00:21 pm »
Lets begin with this past Roadblock: End of the Line and with Sing acuse my daughter insisted so much that she wanted to watch this film so took her to the movie theater, being honest it wasn't that bad and definitely will see it again when they release the DVD also these past four of my anime series have finished so let's put them here too, am talking about Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+!, Keijo!!!!!!!!, Occultic;Nine and Getsuyoubi no Tawawa, for more information about these you can always check the Anime/Manga thread  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

tripredacus

« Reply #1089 on: December 30, 2016, 11:14:10 am »
Planet Terror

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1090 on: January 06, 2017, 01:57:26 am »

Not a bad sequel to Westworld. Not bad at all.

Not as good as Westworld, I admit, but still definitely worth a watch if you enjoyed the original.

The first one is more of a story of technology gone awry. While this one is a story of a reporter trying to uncover the what and why of this place. And in the process discovers a much larger plot going on involving replacing humanity at the highest levels of political and military power.

This one definitely needed more Yul Brynner, though. Peter Fonda just isn't bad-ass enough to compare.

This is free to watch on the Tubit app, BTW.

« Reply #1091 on: January 06, 2017, 09:03:44 am »
Just finished watching Your lie in April last night.

I'm still all fucked up.

« Reply #1092 on: January 10, 2017, 12:22:51 am »

Blade Runner: The Final Cut - I probably watched this once like 10 to 15 years ago as a teenager and haven't seen it since, outside of bits and pieces that you get from it being a pop culture feature, seen in references and reviews, and all sorts of stuff like that.  With the sequel coming up, I figured it was time to go back and actually see what the movie was.

Overall, I think it's alright.  I like a lot of the style, all this cyber/neo/dystopian stuff and the hilarious idea of what Los Angeles 2019 is supposed to be, but it's distinctive and you see where all the movies and anime and such were aping their style from.  It's very detailed and I think that's what is best about this. 

The story though, felt abit off.  There were times where I didn't particularly feel like I knew what the movie was trying to get across.  Everything to do with Rachel seemed almost entirely unnecessary to the movie and the sudden connection between them seemed outright abrupt...Oh, he's forcing himself on her, but she kinda reluctantly gives in, and now they are in love? Why?  What does this do for the story in any way? She seemed so random.

There's also a point where it seemed like the police chief guy thanks him for the runner he killed, and says there's only one left, referring to Rachel, but ignores that there are still 2 left.  I thought I maybe heard it wrong, but that's how it seemed to me.

I know there are some slightly different versions of the movie, like I thought there was one that maybe had narration, which I feel could've helped things, since the pacing feels a tad off in the movie, like when he goes to Tyrell for the first time, there's lots of shots of Deckard looking kinda confused in the cop car, going back and forth between the building and him and it seemed out of place.  That and I know one version is supposed to more hint at him being a Replicant too, which would be weird, but I just have the Final Cut version since it seems to be the proper version of the movie if the Blu-Ray is also this (I bought it cheap on DVD).

Now I'm not one who always understands the philosophical workings of stories, the subtext of things and what not, like the ending I don't really get with the chinese guy and the unicorn stuff...I just don't know lol

It's a fine movie with a very interesting style and Ford and Hauer are great in it, but not sure if I'd consider this a particular favorite of mine.  It'll be interesting to see what the sequel is.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:25:42 am by kamikazekeeg »

maximo310

« Reply #1093 on: January 10, 2017, 02:55:42 am »
I've been watching quite a bit of anime in the last few weeks. Here's what I watched w/ quick summaries:

Baoh (OVA)- Defenitely feels like a bunch of the elements carried over to Jojo such the Baoh being an inspiration for Kars, although the story was kinda ehhhh.
Zeta Gundam- After watching the og Mobile Suit Gundam, watching Camille be the protogainst while Char being the support figure was kinda refreshing to see. Plus you get more good Gundam battles.
Gun x Sword- This series felt like it has some promise, although I feel like the character development was quite lacking, especially for certain characters ( like that one dude named Gaveded).
Madoka Magica- Very good series that was reccomended by a friend of mine due to having some really good progression of the plot, as well as some interesting character development. Also saw the 3rd movie as well.
Planning on watching Yuri on ice, Redline, and either revisit cardcaptor sakura/ sailor moon soon.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:03:16 am by maximo310 »

pacpix

« Reply #1094 on: January 11, 2017, 07:40:20 pm »
I know there are some slightly different versions of the movie, like I thought there was one that maybe had narration, which I feel could've helped things, since the pacing feels a tad off in the movie, like when he goes to Tyrell for the first time, there's lots of shots of Deckard looking kinda confused in the cop car, going back and forth between the building and him and it seemed out of place.  That and I know one version is supposed to more hint at him being a Replicant too, which would be weird, but I just have the Final Cut version since it seems to be the proper version of the movie if the Blu-Ray is also this (I bought it cheap on DVD).

Now I'm not one who always understands the philosophical workings of stories, the subtext of things and what not, like the ending I don't really get with the chinese guy and the unicorn stuff...I just don't know lol

SPOILERS

Just thought I would clear a couple of things up real quick.  Basically five major versions of the movie exist Workprint, Theatrical, International Theatrical, Director's Cut, and Final Cut. 
The two theatrical cuts have the voiceover narration, a happy ending, no unicorn, and some other minor things as well.  Essentially test audiences were very confused by the workprint which led to the voiceovers being added and the happy ending (the staff really was not onboard for this). 
Director's Cut is not a real director's cut as Ridley Scott had no direct input.  It is nearly identical to the Final Cut though.  Director's Cut is significant for being the first official version to remove the voiceovers, happy ending, and adds the unicorn scene back.  There are a ton of little changes in all these versions, but I have already rambled on long enough lol  ;D

Essentially the unicorn scene is significant because it is part of Deckard's memories.  When Gaff leaves the origami unicorn at the end of the movie it implies that he knows Deckard's memories, meaning Deckard is a replicant.  Ridley Scott himself has also asserted this in interviews. In other versions of the film it is much more ambiguous, but the unicorn scene is basically what solidifies the concept,
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)