Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280328 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1155 on: June 05, 2017, 10:42:38 pm »
I liked both avengers 2 and suicide squad but liked avengers way more.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1156 on: June 08, 2017, 12:50:01 pm »

"One batch, two batch. Penny and dime." Oh man, right in the feels.

I'm finally getting into Daredevil season 2, and it's soooo much better than season 1. Season 1 dragged on and on. Which is why it's taken me this long to get to season 2.

Anyways, I just finished episode 4, and man was that a heart-wrenching episode.

This entire scene (seen in the pic) where Daredevil rescues a severly tortured and beaten Punisher to the graveyard had me tear-up. Frank Castle talks about when he comes home from the war, and the first thing he does is go to his daughter's school. He describes how she had no clue he was coming, and when she sees him, she's immediately across the room and in his arms. And he's bawling like a little girl.

Then he describes how after he finally gets home, the weight of the war finally hits him and he just feels tired. Too tired to want to do anything. And one night, his daughter wants him to read her her favorite bedtime story. He tells her, "Daddy is too tired to read tonight. But he promises that he will read you a story tomorrow." Except that there was no tomorrow. The next time he held her in his arms, he held her lifeless body as meat poured out of her face.

Man, as a dad, that really hit home. I was full-on tears coming down my cheek.

Anyone that may be in the same boat as me about this show, where you felt the first season was just "meh", trust me, season 2 is so much better and so worth watching. Not only does it have strong scenes like this, but it also is action packed. The fight scenes are done sooooo much better and it gets to the action rather quickly. Daredevil seems to know how to actually fight this season (he was a punching bag season 1), and Punisher is a total bad-ass!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:40:51 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #1157 on: June 10, 2017, 09:33:22 pm »

Catching up on the last couple DC animated movies I missed, so I watched Justice League vs Teen Titans and man that is a misleading title lol  I think the Teen Titans fight the Justice League for like...4 minutes at best.  The movie isn't really even about that conflict, it's actually a small element of the larger story that revolves around Raven and this version of the Titan team with the Robin being Damien, who's a huge (well little) asshat to everyone.  It should've been like..."Teen Titans: Raven's Cry" or something like that.  Overall it's not bad though.  I liked the Teen Titan dynamic enough and the story is overall pretty good with some moments that were pretty cool.  Hard to top the old Cartoon Network Teen Titans show though lol

Up next is Justice League Dark and Teen Titans: The Judas Contract, which very well could be sort of a sequel to JL vs TT based on the ending of that movie.

« Reply #1158 on: June 17, 2017, 02:09:15 am »

Finally got around to watching John Wick Chapter 2 as I decided to pass it up in the theater, but I'm still really glad I watched it.  Incredibly slick, well crafted, action that you sadly don't get enough of nowadays.  Too many action scenes these days are cut to shit and while some can still work, generally, stuff like John Wick or The Raid are just at the peak of action movie quality.  The movie isn't quite as good as the first, but I didn't expect it to be, the setup for that movie is too perfect and you can't get back to that level, but I think they did enough in this movie to show it can still be good  to watch.  It's just a whole lot of action, there's no bullshit surrounding it, no awkward romance or crazy plot twists, it's an intense action movie where John Wick shoots like 4 dozen guys in the head. Like all of them in the head.  John Wick is basically a superhero with the power to shoot people in the head.  I'm calling aimbot.

Now this one was definitely better than the last DC animated movie I watched and fittingly matched it's name of Justice League "Dark".  I was going to say "as much as a PG-13" movie could be here, but this is actually R-rated now that I look at it?  That's nuts, you could easily get away with most of this in a PG-13 movie.  Sure, people die and there is blood at times, but this isn't remotely r-rated material here...That's just weird.  If it was R-rated, they should've made this far darker.  Honestly, almost feels like a marketing decision to make it seem darker than it is.

Either way, it is reasonably good, nothing like "I must own this", but I liked the tone and getting different characters than usual.  Batman was great as sorta the regular joe of the group, because he can't do anything against magic, which makes for a few funny moments.  Only got one more DC animated movie to watch now.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 03:50:10 am by kamikazekeeg »

Flashback2012

« Reply #1159 on: June 19, 2017, 01:36:00 am »
Went and saw Cars 3 Sunday morning. Kids will love it but it feels like a very safe and by the numbers entry. Rather predictable plot though that's not really a bad thing. I figure at some point I'll watch Wonder Woman before it leaves theaters.

Cars 3 Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onGynY3EaL4

« Reply #1160 on: June 19, 2017, 08:31:04 am »
Wanted to watch the shitty "The Chase" 1994 film with Charlie Sheen but accidentally pulled up the 1966 film "The Chase" with Robert Redford and Robert Duvall.  Said fuck it and started watching it.  Good stuff.

« Reply #1161 on: June 19, 2017, 10:14:28 pm »

Just some goofy fun like the regular Lego movie.  Way sillier than I expected really, which is saying a lot for the trailer, but I had a good time watching it.  I really love the style of these movie as the animation is just so well done and I'm still looking forward to the Lego Movie Sequel.

« Reply #1162 on: June 23, 2017, 02:28:17 am »

Finally diving into the Showa era of the Godzilla series, which is an oddball era for Godzilla.  Starting things off with the 1962 King Kong vs Godzilla.  I feel that I'm getting shortchanged by watching the only available version that is the American version on Blu-Ray.  There's no Japanese dub or Japanese cut here.  A few of the old Godzilla movies like the original movie and Godzilla 1985 got re-cut with all new English scenes, but in this, all they seem to be are awkwardly placed news report scenes that do nothing but explain what is going on.  I feel like I'm missing half the real movie.

Effects wise, King Kong looks pretty poor, where the wide shot suit of his doesn't have a working mouth, so every roar doesn't match, but Godzilla is fine.  He does open his mouth in close up shots, which is clearly a different head.  I love the miniatures though.  It makes me appreciate the post-1985 Heisei era of Godzilla films and how much better the miniatures become.  There's more than a few shots where there are just like like little toy people standing around or at one point, there's a hilarious Godzilla miniature just bobbing about, but that's the charm of these old movies and Kaiju flicks in general.  That's what I like, no matter how bad King Kong might look.

Also, it's so random that King Kong has electricity powers.  The movie says "Oh, King Kong gets strong from electricity, we don't know why." I can't tell if this is the American version trying to weirdly explain something the Japanese movie doesn't, but it's so out of place.  I feel like even the Japanese version might not explain it properly, but I don't know, maybe it does.  I forgot that this is the movie with that great scene of King Kong jabbing a tree down Godzilla's throat lol The fight between them is amusing though, but it ends super abruptly.  Oh they tumbled into the ocean, there's a random earth quake, and suddenly King Kong is swimming away, Godzilla is just gone, and then straight up "Kong saved us, THE END", no ending credits lol

It's a very silly movie at times and I really need to try and get the original Japanese cut of this movie to see how it differs, but I didn't really hate what is going on.  It's to silly and charming to me.  Having found out that the original Gojira is available on Amazon along with others, I might be able to watch more of this era than I thought as they haven't re-released most of the movies from the original to the end of the 70's films.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:59:12 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1163 on: June 24, 2017, 04:25:55 am »

Watching Godzilla 1954, I realized that I had not seen the original movie or had completely forgotten it.  I wasn't sure what I'd think of the film as I don't normally watch very old films.  I doubt I've truly seen many pre-1960 films outside of like stuff I'd see in Mystery Science Theater, but in some ways, the old, black & white, nature of this film works in its favor.  The old effects work well enough for the time, though Godzilla's fire breath is more like a "mist" than a fire blast, but other than that his attack on Tokyo was very effective.  The movie in the first half is a tad hit or miss at times, but once Godzilla really shows up, it really comes together and the drama works.

It's interesting knowing how the series progress that they felt the need to turn Godzilla so much less serious, when this is it's starting movie.  It's like if Saving Private Ryan eventually turned into Kelly's Heroes lol  It's generally a pretty good movie though despite a few faults here and there.

I picked up a Godzilla dvd collection that has most of the Showa era movies, so I'm going to be able  actually watch everything pre-1984, it'll be an interesting watch through all of this stuff as I know I haven't seen a number of these older ones.

« Reply #1164 on: June 25, 2017, 03:55:06 am »

Godzilla Raids Again is another one of these I had never seen before.  I'm glad this one sticks with the seriousness of the first movie as I was worried them releasing the sequel so quickly and having seen the third movie "King Kong vs Godzilla", that the shift to something with seemingly more humor in it was gonna be just right away.

The Godzilla design in this one seems abit off compared to the first one, like with some more gnarly teeth and a slightly lumpier head, but I'm sure that could technically be explained away as this being a second Godzilla and not the original, even though they sorta treat it as just the same one.  It being a second Godzilla is mostly just a flimsy exclusive to have Godzilla back lol  Also again, especially with what comes up next in King Kong vs Godzilla, this movie being dark and black & white really helps with the effects and to cover them up better, though I love the obvious adorable hand puppets they use for the close up shots.  I totally need to get a Godzilla hand puppet lol

The fight between Godzilla and Anguirus, while good for what it is, is weirdly fast.  Like they totally just have the footage at like 1.5x speed.  It's so odd as at one point, when it's just Godzilla and Anguirus facing off, the film is at a slower or more normal speed, so when it moves to the faster speed as they brawl, it's really out of place.  I do love their miniatures though.  Even if the tanks are toys and you see little toy soldiers around, it's wonderful.

This movie isn't quite as good I feel as the first, there's a stronger connection to the people and devastation in that, but this is a pretty straightforward sequel I think in terms of what it offers and it looks very close to the first one.  I took a glance at the English version that was offered and wow, it's...different and awkward.  SHOW, DON'T TELL, MOVIE lol In some ways, it kinda works in that the start is faster, the movie has a few parts that does drag on, but they are just explaining every single damn action.  If the whole movie is like this, I think it would make for a poor movie to always have the narration explaining what we are watching.

Gonna make tonight a double feature with the first Godzilla vs Mothra.

Mothra vs Godzilla follows a similar idea to the previous King Kong vs Godzilla with the idea of greedy businessmen trying to make a profit off of monsters, though it seems abit less silly than that one.  Godzilla makes a really random entrance in this, coming out of the mud of a just drained beach area.  Why was Godzilla buried? Did he like get washed in by the typhoon and buried? It makes no sense lol His suit is a tad goofy in this also.  I also just said this is less goofy, but then i watch him literally tripping around and crashing into buildings lol  They also didn't reinforce his face or something, so he has these big floppy jowls that take away from him being menacing of any sort.

Can't say I'm super keen on this Godzilla in particular.  He has these very obvious like...big smooth eyebrows that standout from his head and look odd to me.  Again, the little toy figures smacking around each other come out and they are the absolute most charming things possible, though used way less compared to Godzilla Raids Again.  Right now I just want to see a Godzilla short movie done purely with puppets and toys lol  Also, while I normally hate bugs, Mothra larvae are pretty cute.  I kinda actually like them more than full grown Mothra.

This movie was way better than King Kong vs Godzilla though.  I really didn't like King Kong in that and Mothra is such an iconic creature for Godzilla to fight.  It might've helped that this isn't some weird re-cut English version like King Kong was, which I think really hampered that film, so it might be not be fair until I see the Japanese original, but I still did not like King Kong in that.  This might at least have a better "English version" than the past two movies.  From the start there's no added scenes or awkward narration.  Just a proper English dub.  I will always stick with the original cut if I can though as I think that subtitled version works out better than what they tweak for the English dub.

Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster.  Here begins the silly era of Godzilla, where Godzilla and Rodan have personalities and they bounce a rock back and forth between each other and they all have a dialogue with Mothra and it's just super silly.  These are definitely going to be my least favorite movies I think, but again as I've said before, they still have their charm, even if they are really goofy.  I've always loved Ghidorah though.  He's up there as a favorite alongside Mecha Godzilla and Space Godzilla.

Probably will also have less to say about these movies as they go as I think they are pretty consistent in terms of what they offer .  Gonna be a silly fun ride lol I am looking forward to the appearance of Gigan and Mecha Godzilla though.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 05:33:37 am by kamikazekeeg »

doafan

« Reply #1165 on: June 26, 2017, 10:35:48 am »
Have been kinda busy this past days but this is what have seen  8)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #1166 on: June 27, 2017, 04:50:19 am »

Invasion of Astro-Monster.  What a weird name for a Godzilla movie.  Even the other name for the movie "Godzilla vs Monster Zero" is weird, because it makes sense to call him Ghidorah, rather than the alien's nickname for him, especially since there was just a movie with his name as the sole part of the title and nothing for Godzilla right before this.  "Godzilla vs Planet X" would've made a lot more sense or something like that.

Oh well.  Personally I always found the alien stuff in Godzilla movies to be extra silly, which is saying a lot in a series with magic, telepathy, and giant monsters/robots lol Their plans make no sense in this in particular.  They buddy up with humanity for no reason so they can take Rodan and Godzilla and control them, but they could do that anyways without them even knowing.  There's no point to like 1/2 or more of the movie and there's almost no monster battles going on.  There's one like 40 minutes in for a couple minutes and then the monsters are shelved till practically the last 15 minutes.  It's just really boring for a lot of the movie because the alien stuff is just too goofy or badly written to care.  I want rubber suits and adorable miniatures getting destroyed, dammit!  Too little of it going on!

This was probably the weakest one I've watched next to King Kong vs Godzilla.  Really, the movie should just be called "Earth vs Planet X".  The monsters just feel like an afterthought in their own movie.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1167 on: June 27, 2017, 02:02:02 pm »

« Reply #1168 on: June 29, 2017, 01:18:32 am »

I was very cynical about Power Rangers, I mean, how could I not? We have the awful TMNT movies, the awful Transformer movies, it's like Hollywood was determined to find ways to ruin stuff I loved as a kid.  So I skipped this in theater, but decided I'll rent it, I'll give it a shot as I did hear things about it...and really...It's actually good.  I kept wanting to hate it, but found myself enjoying it.  It's not perfect, it's got problems, but generally it's a pretty good movie. 

My only real negatives are that the Putty designs suck, Goldar sucks, the Megazord sucks, and I would've rather the movie not look so de-saturated as movies are want to do these days.  In a series known for its color, make that shit pop! Be less "Man of Steel" and more "Guardians of the Galaxy".  Also the Krispy Kreme advertising was abysmal and embarrassing and I felt like they were just paying lip service to the past show.  Alpha 5 going Aye Aye Aye! or the tiny little bit of the ACTUAL Power Rangers theme they play for like 10 seconds, or even with Rita going "make my monster grow!"...It feels forced rather than working that stuff in naturally.  I did mark out slightly for the obvious cameos though.

I'm actually cool with this movie and I wouldn't mind them doing another, even if the Megazord is a terrible design lol

Godzilla vs The Sea Monster or Ebirah, Horror of the Deep.  I don't know what was with them not labeling their Godzilla movies as "Godzilla" in Japan.  There's at least 3 of them right in a row here.  Very weird.  Ebirah really does seem to be one of the weaker Godzilla rivals in the series to me lol I mean, it's just a giant crustacean. most of the stuff Godzilla fights tend to either be like giant dino-type creatures, or just straight up monsters like Biolante or Hedorah or alien creatures. But Ebirah is just...a crustacean.  Design is cool at least, I can't fault them there for at least make a good looking prop lol  The craftsmanship is something I'll always enjoy in these, no matter how silly things get.

There's also randomly a fourth monster in this with some random giant condor that attacks Godzilla before getting wrecked.  This movie feels like the first seriously 60's movie to me.  The clothing, there was a short dance contest at the beginning, and there are some music bits that are just very much of that time.  Can't say I like this Godzilla too much either.  I think this might've been an issue before, but his eyes are weirdly pointed up, so the only time it seems like he's looking straight ahead or down, is when he's leaning over.  Otherwise he looks either blind or looking straight up.

I don't really know what the plot of this movie was either.  There's this evil military group, who captures islanders from Mothra's island as slave labor to make repellent to stop Ebirah, but I don't know why they need the islanders for it, or what they are even doing on the island.  Also Godzilla is just randomly sleeping on the island.  I think it's just once again a badly written story like last time with Planet X lol At least that had better monster action going on, there wasn't anything too great here as Ebirah is boring and Mothra is only it for a cameo basically.

Dodged a bullet I feel by skipping Son of Godzilla.  It's not available on Amazon to rent or really buy, so I'm moving on to Destroy All Monsters, which will have less Minilla in it I think, because Minilla is lame lol  I'm pretty sure I remember that movie being real silly and probably like the first Godzilla movie that was full on goofy and comedic.  Unfortunately, I have the English dub for Destroy All Monsters as it's just an Amazon rental.  These dubs usually just add a lot of extra narration, which is super annoying, though maybe I'm wrong about that since I don't have a Japanese version to compare.

Monster Island is cool though, as silly as it is.  It's essentially a habitat for all the monsters.  I like Godzilla's design abit more for once.  It's been quite awhile, but his eyes look good and generally feels like he has a solid design for the first time in awhile.  This dub is super lame though.  Really wish I had the Japanese audio.  Back to the silly alien stuff too, but at least we got a lot of monsters here, though Mothra being in larva form doesn't make much sense as it was just in butterfly form the movie before last.

Overall, it's alright, but I got a feeling the rest of these movies are gonna be pretty similar in feel and style, though I'm pretty excited to get to Mecha Godzilla.  He's a real favorite of mine.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:15:15 am by kamikazekeeg »

doafan

« Reply #1169 on: July 06, 2017, 12:30:32 pm »
How was this?

Honestly dunno if I was tired as fuck because the day that I saw had a lot of work that at some parts of the movie almost fell asleep but don't get the wrong idea and give it a chance  ;)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy