Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280155 times)

desocietas

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1260 on: November 06, 2017, 01:12:26 pm »

Saw this movie yesterday. Pretty good, and damnit if I can't stop crying whenever a Pokemon sheds a tear. Some strange choices were made in this retelling of Ash's meeting with Pikachu, and I didn't care for how they threw in some of the most memorable parts of the anime but sped them up so fast (for the sake of the movie length, I guess) it seemed laughable.

But in the end, it was still fun, and I remembered how much I enjoyed the original Pokemon cartoons. Definitely makes me want to go back and give Pokemon Sun another go.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #1261 on: November 07, 2017, 12:16:32 am »

This movie was directly aimed at longtime fans of the franchise, specifically the anime, movies, and games. There was so much fan service and nods to classic Pokemon in this retelling of the first part of the anime series; I felt like I was on an hour and a half nostalgia trip that was constantly bombarding me with sentimental feelings for this beloved series. It did this so effectively that I found myself getting emotional at parts that were direct nods to old Pokemon episodes and even a not so subtle scene that was straight out of one of the Pokemon movies. It had me feeling like an excited 12-year old again who was obsessed with everything Pokemon, so much so I am now thinking of buying Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon this week despite not caring much for the first two.

There were a few things I didn't like as much though, mostly the absence of a few main characters from the anime and games, and at minimalizing certain characters roles for the sake of giving new characters more development. They also rushed a lot of the more memorable parts from the show for the sake of condensing everything into a movie, which felt off at times, but overall the experience of seeing this film was mostly enjoyable.

When I walked out of the theater I noticed that 90% of the people there were over the age of 25 and if I wasn't sure before I knew then that this movie was made specifically for us; 90s kids who remember playing Red and Blue version on our Gameboy Pockets, waking up early Saturday morning to see new episodes of the anime on Kids WB; using money from mowing lawns and babysitting to buy another booster pack of Pokemon cards, and begging our reluctant parents to take us to see Pokemon the First Movie and Pokemon the Movie 2000. It definitely reminded me how much I adore Pokemon as a whole and this movie very effectively conjured up my most sentimental feelings for the franchise.

« Reply #1262 on: November 08, 2017, 08:24:58 pm »
Just saw that Justice League isn't lifting it's embargo till 21 hours before release.  Wonder Woman? 2 weeks...Hrmm...Good thing I was gonna wait for reviews on this anyways, because I don't wanna have another Batman v Superman lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1263 on: November 10, 2017, 05:34:15 pm »

Finished Stranger Things season 2, and it is awesome!

It did take a little longer to get things into gear, but once it did, it was just as good as the first season. Well worth the price of Netflix for this, alone.

« Reply #1264 on: November 15, 2017, 04:43:21 am »

Almost done catching up with the DC animated movies, one more left that's out with the Batman & Harley movie, but this movie was alright.  A few things kinda keep me from getting too engrossed in it, mostly that I thought Beast Boy was weirdly more annoying than usual (Compared to the older cartoon version of him), Blue Beetle isn't a good voice actor, and there's a weird relationship element that was pretty unsettling.  Action was good though.  I'd probably say I like this one generally more than Justice League vs Teen Titans, mostly because of how much of a nothing that movie was with what it promised.

« Reply #1265 on: November 15, 2017, 06:58:02 pm »
Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow, hadn't watched it in years. Probably one of my favorite films from him.

tripredacus

« Reply #1266 on: November 16, 2017, 10:14:29 am »
The Shining - VHS

It started out rough, but with a slight tracking adjustment, the audio was able to work well enough to sound amazing under the ProLogic profile.

« Reply #1267 on: November 16, 2017, 12:34:12 pm »
The Shining - VHS

It started out rough, but with a slight tracking adjustment, the audio was able to work well enough to sound amazing under the ProLogic profile.

Gosh, it's been probably a decade since I last watched a VHS. I still have a player somewhere and a few VHS tapes left. Might have to give this a try sometime.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1268 on: November 16, 2017, 12:59:01 pm »
The Shining - VHS

Gosh, it's been probably a decade since I last watched a VHS. I still have a player somewhere and a few VHS tapes left. Might have to give this a try sometime.

I watch VHS all the time. Lots of great stuff never released on DVD, especially horror, wrestling, cartoons, and B-action movies.

But I got lucky and came across this fantastic player that upscales to 1080p and has every input imaginable to man. It also plays DVDs, MP4, and DIVX files (via USB on the MP4 & DIVX). So it looks great.

Pro-tip: Don't watch VHS in widescreen, it stretches the image. Watch it standard 4:3 ratio. (That is unless you happen to have a few of the special edition widescreen VHS.)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1269 on: November 16, 2017, 03:36:23 pm »
The Shining - VHS

I watch VHS all the time. Lots of great stuff never released on DVD, especially horror, wrestling, cartoons, and B-action movies.

But I got lucky and came across this fantastic player that upscales to 1080p and has every input imaginable to man. It also plays DVDs, MP4, and DIVX files (via USB on the MP4 & DIVX). So it looks great.

Pro-tip: Don't watch VHS in widescreen, it stretches the image. Watch it standard 4:3 ratio. (That is unless you happen to have a few of the special edition widescreen VHS.)

I put a VCR out in what I lovingly refer to as the Whiskey Tango Garage.  My girlfriend and I have an extremely curated collection of 10 VHS tapes that are allowed out there.  If we want a new one, we have to let one go.  Goodwill is fun like that. 

« Reply #1270 on: November 17, 2017, 04:12:29 am »
The Punisher is out and the first episode was probably the best I've seen from the Marvel shows in quite awhile lol It's not even amazing, I think it just shows what happens when you got a pretty good handle on the show and you got a good lead.  Probably won't full binge, but will likely get through it over the weekend.  Really hope the show holds together for the full go.  I hear it suffers abit from the usual Marvel problems at times, in that they have too many episodes and not enough story, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:12:46 am by kamikazekeeg »

tripredacus

« Reply #1271 on: November 17, 2017, 10:02:51 am »
The Shining - VHS

But I got lucky and came across this fantastic player that upscales to 1080p

I have been on the lookout for one of the combo players where the VCR outputs on HDMI, but haven't found one yet. It isn't a huge need, but more of a curiosity.

This is my (main) setup for watching VHS:

TV: Sony KV-32FS100
AVR: Yamaha RX-V493 (audio only)
VCR: Panasonic PV-V4522

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1272 on: November 17, 2017, 12:45:39 pm »
The Shining - VHS

But I got lucky and came across this fantastic player that upscales to 1080p

I have been on the lookout for one of the combo players where the VCR outputs on HDMI, but haven't found one yet. It isn't a huge need, but more of a curiosity.

This is my (main) setup for watching VHS:

TV: Sony KV-32FS100
AVR: Yamaha RX-V493 (audio only)
VCR: Panasonic PV-V4522

I've been trying to upgrade everything I can to HD. Right now, all I have left on my old-school TV is my PS1, PS2, Saturn, and Dreamcast.

« Reply #1273 on: November 18, 2017, 01:18:26 am »

So Justice League turned out to be better than I thought.  I had pretty low expectations, because of course I would, but overall, it's more watchable and tolerable than Batman v Superman.  It's still not a great movie, it suffers from a number of issues, but I generally enjoyed myself.  It's not Marvel good and won't be anything I buy or watch again, but maybe one day DC can make a great movie...That just won't be anytime soon I figure.

Also, the idea to CG out Henry Caville's mustache is going to go down as a hilarious blunder in movie cinema.  It's so obvious in most close-up shots.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:25:41 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1274 on: November 19, 2017, 02:08:35 am »

While I have seen this movie once before I barely remembered it, and after finding it really cheap today I felt like it was a good opportunity to rewatch it. Funny enough, I'm not sure why or how I forgot so much about this movie because it is hilarious and awesome at the same time! I really like the message behind the movie too which essentially is growing up is overrated and to stay true to yourself. Definitely one of the better movies I've seen recently, and another movie that will be in regular circulation in my DVD player for a long time.