Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280358 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1350 on: April 26, 2018, 11:02:39 pm »

If you are still onboard with Marvel, then you'll be good with Infinity War.  I totally dug it, it's Marvel at their most Marvel and Thanos was done great.  It's also great not having any setup going on in this.  It's not about a looming threat, it's not about setting characters up.  The threat is already here, and the characters are already here, and it's all about trying to stop Thanos.  Can't wait for the second part.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:28:07 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1351 on: April 29, 2018, 01:44:36 am »

Like the first season of The Clone Wars, the second was excellent, however it definitely wasn't as good as the season before it. There are several episodes which are flat out boring and to a degree unnecessary in regards to the overall plot of the series. However, despite these five or six bad episodes nearly every other episode ranges from above average to excellent. One thing I can definitely credit the entire season for is maintaining that genuine Star Wars feel as well as introducing several characters, as well as developing some more established characters that really increase your investment in what's going on. And one final praise of season 2 was it having something that actually felt like a season finale that felt impactful and also reintroduced a future bad guy that I thought was really cool. I am really excited to begin watching season 3 as it is the season that I hear many talking about as being the best or at least really good.

« Reply #1352 on: April 29, 2018, 07:51:46 am »

Got through this and overall thought it was okay.  Never watched the original and the movie wasn't really anything good that I remember, but this was fine.  There's a number of good moments, though it's also plagued with a few weak subplots and some weak writing at times.  Decisions made that feel either a tad tropey, or kinda just dumb.  It's better than the average scifi stuff you tend to get on like Syfy channel though, as those shows tend to have some budget constraints to them and you can see it's quality dip in the CG, but this feels higher quality.  It helps they landed on a planet that looks remarkably similar to Earth lol

I wouldn't say to go out of your way to watch this, but if you want just a totally fine scifi show, this is good enough for that. Like a very competent 7/10.

Flashback2012

« Reply #1353 on: April 29, 2018, 04:02:42 pm »

If you are still onboard with Marvel, then you'll be good with Infinity War.  I totally dug it, it's Marvel at their most Marvel and Thanos was done great.  It's also great not having any setup going on in this.  It's not about a looming threat, it's not about setting characters up.  The threat is already here, and the characters are already here, and it's all about trying to stop Thanos.  Can't wait for the second part.

Just got back from the theater. This movie was a solid 9.5 out of 10. The humor was spliced in well, the plot moved along at a good pace, and this movie essentially throws a wet blanket on the DC Cinematic Universe IMO. What I mean by that is this is what the Justice League movie should have been and Marvel has basically usurped the whole Everyone VS. The Big Bad story out from under WB/DC. I'm sure they'll still try to do it but it'll come off as a been there/done that and given how WB LOVES to muck with DC movies, most people will be saying it had already been done and been done better by Marvel. That's a shame as Superman is hands down my favorite character.  :-\

While I can't knock the movie for this; I'm still baffled how A bucket of popcorn in a collector's bucket, two collector cups and a small beverage, and a pretzel come up to $31.  :o

« Reply #1354 on: April 29, 2018, 05:35:46 pm »
I mean, Marvel has really already done this twice already, this is just the biggest scale.  No matter what you feel about the previous two Avenger films, they are vastly better than the slop Batman v Superman and Justice League.  Infinity War is the culmination of 10 years of work and it shows completely why DC/WB will be incapable of doing the same ever really.  They'd have to completely restart their universe to do it right and that ain't happening anytime soon.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1355 on: April 29, 2018, 09:41:33 pm »
I like both Marvel and DC movies. But Infinity War was infinitely better.  ;D

« Reply #1356 on: April 29, 2018, 10:04:24 pm »
I like both Marvel and DC movies. But Infinity War was infinitely better.  ;D

If it's not Wonder Woman (Which is only as good as the most average Marvel movie to me), the DC movies have mostly been garbage to me, irredeemably so other than I generally like Batman's design, their fight in Batman v Superman, and that's it.  Just the most wasted potential I've probably ever seen, because they tried to have Marvel's success, but with none of the work involved to actually accomplish that.

This also isn't a knock against you at all, I'm just annoyed by the movies, because I want to like them.  I dig DC, even if I tend to like Marvel more.  Over the years, there's been a lot of hit and miss and it only seems like their TV shows and animated movies ever get close at really doing justice to the characters...sometimes...I'm looking at you Killing Joke movie >_>

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1357 on: April 30, 2018, 02:02:26 pm »
Moving this one to it's own thread...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 02:06:55 pm by burningdoom »

maximo310

« Reply #1358 on: May 02, 2018, 06:13:25 am »
I've saw Avengers: Infinity War the other day. I'd give it a 6.5/10 since although its got a ton of money, actors, production studios, and visual effects behind it, most of the writing just falls flat on its face after setting up a scene well. Some plot details didn't flow well, which I thought was probably due to edits they had to make for scenes. I wish they had included Death, because that absence throws a plothole into Thanos motivations and what he loves the most.

However, I do give them credit for being ballsy enough to kill off characters this time around; lets hope they don't just go for the "time rewind" to bring back everyone in infinity war part ii.

« Reply #1359 on: May 02, 2018, 06:58:00 am »
I've saw Avengers: Infinity War the other day. I'd give it a 6.5/10 since although its got a ton of money, actors, production studios, and visual effects behind it, most of the writing just falls flat on its face after setting up a scene well. Some plot details didn't flow well, which I thought was probably due to edits they had to make for scenes. I wish they had included Death, because that absence throws a plothole into Thanos motivations and what he loves the most.

However, I do give them credit for being ballsy enough to kill off characters this time around; lets hope they don't just go for the "time rewind" to bring back everyone in infinity war part ii.

It's not really a plothole, they just reworked it around a different motivation based on the backstory they gave him.  Makes him a more calculated mass murderer thinking he's doing what is best for the universe, compared to the comics, where he's a psychopathic mass murderer doing it because he has a crush on the physical embodiment of Death.

maximo310

« Reply #1360 on: May 02, 2018, 03:54:09 pm »

It's not really a plothole, they just reworked it around a different motivation based on the backstory they gave him.  Makes him a more calculated mass murderer thinking he's doing what is best for the universe, compared to the comics, where he's a psychopathic mass murderer doing it because he has a crush on the physical embodiment of Death.
Idk, I just felt it wasn't explained very well due to the way the scenes were edited. Maybe the special features in the bluray release will have some additional scenes to explain it.

« Reply #1361 on: May 08, 2018, 03:11:01 am »

As a kid I remember being fascinated by this movie after my parents recorded it on VHS; I'd watch it in bits and pieces when I could and while I have seen the whole thing, it was always in bits and pieces, and never in order. Thanks to youtube, I watched the entire mini-series, all four parts and my overall impression of The Stand is...okay.

First off, this is the first time I've watched this mini-series as an adult so I have a very different perspective and understanding of the story and plot than I did as a elementary school aged kid when I first watched this movie. First off, I really enjoyed part 1 of this series. Part 1 not only introduces and establishing many of the main characters, but also chronicles the release of the deadly flu virus and how it essentially wipes out the vast majority of mankind. Watching the gradual chaos unfold and how society rapidly deteriorated was interesting and reminded me a lot of the early parts of the walking dead, but instead of zombies, massive amounts of people died off from a deadly strain of the flu.

After that, however The Stand takes many twists and turns, most of which I didn't care for. My biggest complaint is that it is ULTRA preachy. At times this mini-series comes more across as biblical, Christian propaganda than a movie based on a novel by Steven King. This is largely due to the whole subplot of people flocking to Mother Abigale, a symbol of God's will for the remainder of mankind, or Randal Flag, the devil incarnate. There are some very preachy lines from some of the characters as well as prayers said in full that within the context of them happening seems to be wanting the audience to believe in god just like the characters do. It just felt very contrived imo, and really, really dampered my opinion of an otherwise great story. To a much smaller extent there was some pretty bad acting a few incredibly annoying and unlikable characters, and a few cringe worthy moments that I'm assuming were meant to be taken more serious.

I doubt I'll ever watch this movie again, but revisiting it was fun for the most part and it's always interesting to get a more mature perspective on anything you experienced as a kid. This one however, did not hold up for me the way it did when I was younger, but it was still decent for what it was.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1362 on: May 08, 2018, 11:48:12 am »

As a kid I remember being fascinated by this movie after my parents recorded it on VHS; I'd watch it in bits and pieces when I could and while I have seen the whole thing, it was always in bits and pieces, and never in order. Thanks to youtube, I watched the entire mini-series, all four parts and my overall impression of The Stand is...okay.

First off, this is the first time I've watched this mini-series as an adult so I have a very different perspective and understanding of the story and plot than I did as a elementary school aged kid when I first watched this movie. First off, I really enjoyed part 1 of this series. Part 1 not only introduces and establishing many of the main characters, but also chronicles the release of the deadly flu virus and how it essentially wipes out the vast majority of mankind. Watching the gradual chaos unfold and how society rapidly deteriorated was interesting and reminded me a lot of the early parts of the walking dead, but instead of zombies, massive amounts of people died off from a deadly strain of the flu.

After that, however The Stand takes many twists and turns, most of which I didn't care for. My biggest complaint is that it is ULTRA preachy. At times this mini-series comes more across as biblical, Christian propaganda than a movie based on a novel by Steven King. This is largely due to the whole subplot of people flocking to Mother Abigale, a symbol of God's will for the remainder of mankind, or Randal Flag, the devil incarnate. There are some very preachy lines from some of the characters as well as prayers said in full that within the context of them happening seems to be wanting the audience to believe in god just like the characters do. It just felt very contrived imo, and really, really dampered my opinion of an otherwise great story. To a much smaller extent there was some pretty bad acting a few incredibly annoying and unlikable characters, and a few cringe worthy moments that I'm assuming were meant to be taken more serious.

I doubt I'll ever watch this movie again, but revisiting it was fun for the most part and it's always interesting to get a more mature perspective on anything you experienced as a kid. This one however, did not hold up for me the way it did when I was younger, but it was still decent for what it was.

Those 90s Stephen King TV movies are pretty slow-moving, in general. They were usually 2-night affairs, each night being 2 hours.

I remember Tommyknockers being such a big deal when it came out. And while it had it's moments, overall it dragged it's feet.

« Reply #1363 on: May 10, 2018, 06:10:39 am »

A fun thing with Netflix are the essentially sudden movies and tv shows that get released (I never hear about Netflix stuff unless its big or Marvel), so this was just a random watch as I needed something to keep me busy while I did a project.  It's a post-apocalyptic survival show, I guess Netflix's answer to Walking Dead, but it's definitely not the same kind of show.  No zombies, it's about a viral infection that kills pretty quick and its focused more on the survival and getting somewhere.  It's also a Danish made show, which are where the problems start.

This has a bad English dub.  The original Danish could be just fine, but I needed to watch it in English and it's so underwhelming and noticeable.  I also feel like the writing isn't great.  Maybe some of that is because of the dub and how they portray it, but at times things just feel kinda weak.  I also don't feel like I fully understand the rules of the virus involved.

A lot of the show still does work though, as initially I thought this was going to be like 28 Days Later meets The Happening (Not meant in a bad way), but it turns into a competent post-apocalypse show.  There aren't any real twists and turns to it, but the general ride is alright.  It's like a reasonable 6 - 7 out of 10, maybe a solid 7 if you are able to watch it with the Danish original audio.

« Reply #1364 on: May 13, 2018, 01:12:15 am »

Deadpool 2 is next week, so figured I'd watch the first one again as I haven't seen it since it came out on blu-ray.  Still a fun time and Ryan Reynolds is a gem.  It'll be great to have a bigger overall plot with the sequel for sure as that's kinda what the first one lacked, it's mostly a basic revenge plot with a basic villain.  More like the lead henchman, rather than top level baddie.  It still works really well because of the violence and humor.