Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275880 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1410 on: August 09, 2018, 03:55:55 am »

Last of the main Predator movies here.  I actually remembered very little about this one, despite it only being 8 years old, but I only watched it in theater and then never again.  Going back to it, I think it's alright.  Definitely more of a throwback to the first movie, with nods here and there, but overall I like the idea that the Predators have just turned this planet into a massive hunting ground, dumping aliens and humans here to kill.  I sorta feel like they should've done more with that idea though.  It's mostly just a bunch of humans, and the one alien they encounter is barely seen before its killed.  If this was more...Enemy Mine, where some aliens have to work with humans, that would've been a lot cooler.  They sorta do this with the one Predator later on, but it doesn't add up to much.

It's not a bad movie, but I feel like it lacks the same punch as the first two.  Doesn't get as crazy as I think it should've and Laurence Fisburne is totally wasted here.  I think the ranking of these three is setup by release.  Predator 1987, Predator 2, Predators.  Gonna look for some cheap copies of the Alien vs Predator movies and watch them soon too since I might as well watch them and then I'll go check out Terminator.

kevininja

« Reply #1411 on: August 09, 2018, 12:15:16 pm »
I forgot that movie even existed.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1412 on: August 09, 2018, 02:37:34 pm »

Pretty enjoyable. Still can't touch the comic story, though. It does take a little bit to get to the action, but it pays off because it sets up for some emotional stuff at the end. Well worth a watch for DC fans. And it leaves off on a cliffhanger because they are following it up with a Reign of the Supermen movie (no release date, yet).

I loved that Hawkman drew first blood. Now THAT'S Hawkman. A warrior through and through. Wonder Woman held her own for a while, too, before being defeated.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 02:40:00 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #1413 on: August 11, 2018, 10:06:04 pm »

Decided I would just bite the bullet, get the two AVP movies done.  I actually remember a reasonable bit about this one, as while the movie is not considered good, it has a lot of memorable moments I feel.  Most of the practical effects are good and the CG most of the time holds up too.  That's about all the good I can say for the movie.  The characters are all pretty stock, the PG-13 rating neuters the hell out of the experience, and things like two of the three predators dying at the halfway point of the movie just undercuts what should've been a much cooler experience.

Wasted potential is what I feel this movie is.  It's not terrible, it has some cool moments (That first Alien vs Predator fight where shit is just getting smashed up is pretty great), but it feels like it could've been something way more.  I honestly might put this over Predators as something I'd rather watch again.  Predators is the more regular Predator experience, a throwback to the original, but honestly it wasn't anything special or had stuff that really stood out to me that wasn't just a nod to the original.

Also something I kinda just realized, but wasn't the whole point of the Predator movies involving heat, was that the Predators required a very hot environment to kinda survive in?  Was I wrong in thinking that? Because with that in mind, how did the Predators survive in the Antarctic with basically nothing on them?  Just a little thing I noticed that either seems like an error or I misunderstood the meaning behind the heat plot point lol

I went in, kinda expecting to not really like either of these, as I didn't have great memories of them, but I actually don't hate them.  The problem with Requiem is that for most of it, I get more of a Friday the 13th vibe than I do Aliens or Predator.  The characters aren't much of anything, writing is a mixed bag, and it's really dark for a whole lot of the movie so you don't get a good look at a lot of things. It's great that it's R-rated again, it doesn't feel neutered like the first movie, but it sorta feels like it was for nothing when you can't see a lot of what is going on.  Again, it seems like there is good stuff here, I like that this whole town is basically getting screwed over by the xenomorphs, but the movie doesn't pull it together.

Having seen them all, other than the one out next month, my placement is going to be...Predator 1987, Predator 2, Predators, Alien vs Predator, and Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.  Like I said, I'd probably rather watch AVP over Predators more often than not, but I still think Predators is probably better in general for just being a more pure Predator movie.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:38:41 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1414 on: August 12, 2018, 09:16:21 pm »
Mission: Impossible- Fallout

How is it that this series is still so good?  This honestly might be the best film in the franchise.

« Reply #1415 on: August 12, 2018, 09:33:00 pm »
Mission: Impossible- Fallout

How is it that this series is still so good?  This honestly might be the best film in the franchise.

I got a freebie coming, so I'm planning to check it out this week probably because I had heard it was fantastic.  It's crazy when a series continues to be good if not better than what they were.  Very rare.

« Reply #1416 on: August 14, 2018, 11:11:23 pm »

Yeah this series just continues to be quality action spy thriller material.

« Reply #1417 on: August 16, 2018, 04:48:47 am »

Been meaning to watch this, but never got around to it till I stumbled upon it on Netflix.  Love the gimmick of the movie, done entirely in first person and I'd say the movie succeeds with that about 60% of the time.  Most of the action is real good, very intense, very visceral, but when the movement starts to get too fast, most of the running stuff and parts here and there, that's when it gets kinda hard to watch. 

It's an interesting idea that you can only this one time, because I don't want to see a sequel.  If they wanted to do it again, just make it a proper movie with the intensity of a John Wick/The Raid and I'll be good with it, because I enjoyed all the absurdity going.  There's cyborgs, clones, main villain with telekinetic abilities for no apparent reason other than to just have them and aren't ever explained.  Like the story is kinda nonsense bullshit, but it knows it is and doesn't pretend that its anything more than a bunch of crazy action scenes strung together.  It's goofy fun nonsense if you like action movies and you can deal with the camera.

Feel like abit of a dunce as I suddenly realized I never finished Season 2 of Luke Cage.  I ragged on it, but for some reason I thought there was only 10 episodes.  I don't know why, I can't figure out what happened, but I for some reason thought it was over and that it kinda left with a whimper.  In general, I still don't think I really like the season, the show is still too much crime drama, not enough a show about a strong, bullet proof, dude.  The first season centered on that more, but so much of this season was just about the whole Stokes family and Luke running back and forth between the drama he has no stakes in.  I know a lot of it is about Luke trying to deal with his anger over it all, but I don't think it works well enough.

The ending does lead to some interesting stuff for a Season 3 though, which is good.  It took what initially was like a 6/10 for me, and bumped it to a 7.  Not a strong 7, but the ending helped things out.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:20:01 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1418 on: August 18, 2018, 08:24:17 am »

This was charming as hell.  Way funnier than I was expecting.  Still a bit simple, but thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless.  I've heard the sequel is even better.

kypherion

« Reply #1419 on: August 19, 2018, 05:07:31 pm »

Death Note!

So awesome. The dub is pretty good too IMO, and I'd definitely recommend for those who haven't seen it.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #1420 on: August 20, 2018, 08:42:51 am »
After all of the previews I expected this to be a full blown comedy, and while it did have some moments of humor, it was a far more serious and sobering film than I expected.  One of Spike Lee's best films in years, and one of the best films I've seen released this year.

I hadn't watched this in years, but it recently became available on HBO.  It's one of those films that became so ubiquitous and mocked in the early 90s that is easy to forget just how good the movie actually is, and it is good.

« Reply #1421 on: August 25, 2018, 05:00:16 am »

It's tough to come across good zombie films these days, as it's really easy to do something generic or just be a gore fest, which isn't what I'm looking for, it's more the setting and what they do in it.  This was a big one from South Korea I think and I thought it did a real good job.  There's a point or two where I worried that they were gonna go World War Z with their zombies when they had to do some CG stuff with them, but thankfully they kept it less ridiculous than that, maybe simply due to a difference in budget between them I assume, as they used the CG for when they really needed it.

The confines of being on a train with limited places to go and their own take on the zombies helps them stand out abit more than usual.  I don't know if I've seen such a visceral change to the transformation before as it's accompanied by this bone crunching sound and the twitchiness of them with the speed makes them really terrifying.  At it's core, it's still just a zombie film, you won't like it if you hate them, but it works well for what it does. 

Just as a headsup, at least on Amazon rental, it's Korean audio, English subtitles only.  That doesn't bother me, but that could bother others as Amazon has the wrong description details for it.

« Reply #1422 on: August 26, 2018, 09:23:24 am »
This was not quite as good as I was hoping, seeing how it was made by David Fincher, who is arguably one of the greatest directors alive today.  The story was fine, but not as focused on the actual mystery as I would have liked.  It felt like too separate films for a bit too long which gave the entire thing a disjointed vibe that never quite meshed, even when the storylines came together.

I decided it was time to fill out the rest of the Pixar catalog I had not seen, and this was first up.  It is as bad as you'd expect  It's two separate movies smashed together where the lead character in one of the stories is Larry the Cable Guy.  I've heard that Cars 3 is a fair bit better at least.

« Reply #1423 on: August 27, 2018, 09:05:03 am »
I was very surprised at how much I liked this one.  It's an incredible step up from part 2, which is a bit of a flaming garbage pile.  Maybe it's because Mater is barely in this one, and maybe its the fact that the plot is combination of Rocky III and Rocky IV, but I actually found myself pretty invested here.  It might actually be the best film of the trilogy.  The world still raises all kinds of existential nightmare questions though.

The only Pixar film I have left is The Good Dinosaur.
Sharp Objects on HBO ended last night.  It is a very slow-burn and deliberately paced series, but I loved almost every minute of this surreal southern gothic tale.

« Reply #1424 on: September 05, 2018, 11:14:52 pm »

I'm not a huge Warcraft fan, in fact the last time I really spent a decent amount of time with a Warcraft game was back in the late 90s with Warcraft II. I never got into the phenomenon that was WoW either given my aversion to MMOs and online gaming in general. Still, I wanted to see this movie for a while and after finding it for cheap it was the perfect opportunity.

So what did I think about the movie? I hated it, a lot.

The story and writing in this film is terrible, like first draft, fan fiction terrible. The story barely makes sense, characters pop in and out and you are just expected to know who they are, and there is zero character development. On top of that, there are various things that happen throughout the movie that make almost no sense, especially when viewed in the context of things that just happened right before. Even the movie's frequent fantasy action does not distract from how bad the story and characters are in this film. I tried giving the film the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe I would understand this movie if I was more familiar with the lore of the Warcraft universe, but even if I was an expert at it I don't see how so many things in this movie would somehow make sense regardless of this.

There were some decent special effects and the character animation for many of the orcs was pretty cool but other than that this movie abused CG so much, and it often looked more cheap than anything. I am by no means one of those CG haters who thinks all effects should be practical, but CG must be used carefully or else it really cheapens the feel of a movie, something Warcraft is super guilty of. There were times when the movie looked like direct to video CG graphics, especially some of the backgrounds and city shots, as well as a monster towards the end of the film. Also, many of the set pieces and costumes in this movie looked very subpar, coming off as cosplay more than set pieces in a multi-million dollar film.

Overall, this was one of the worst movies I've seen in a while and I'm genuinely surprised I sat through all two hours of it, despite being done with this film about half an hour in. Unless you are a hardcore Warcraft nerd, I can't really recommend it, and even if you are one I feel like I still would hesitate to recommend watching this piece of shit.