Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280159 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1455 on: October 19, 2018, 10:40:54 pm »
Outside Providence

LOL. Every time my wife and I see Shawn Hatosy (had to look up his real name) in a movie, we both say Dildo in unison.

Watched Friday last week. Might as well watch Next Friday today...

« Reply #1456 on: October 21, 2018, 08:18:14 am »
Oct. 17 My Bloody Valentine 3-D
Oct. 18 Apostle
Oct. 19 The Strangers: Prey at Night
Oct. 20 Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

And, as part of my B5 rewatch: Babylon 5: Thirdspace.  I'm about halfway through season 4 now, but we stopped this weekend for Daredevil Season 3.  8 episodes in, and it has been fantastic so far.

« Reply #1457 on: October 22, 2018, 04:43:51 am »

I've been worried that the Netflix Marvel stuff was losing its touch for awhile now.  The last one I really liked was Punisher, which has problems, but was still generally good, primarily due to how great Jon Bernthal is in the part.  Iron Fist Season 2 was a step up, but still nothing special.  Daredevil Season 3? Drastic step up in quality.  I was worried that them having 13 episodes again would start to drag, it's been a problem in multiple seasons, struggling to justify the length with side stuff that just wasn't interesting or dragging plot on that wasn't engaging, but even the side stuff in Season 3 is well handed, the drama really ramped up, and it was all very satisfying.

If they could bring this level of quality to the rest of the shows, especially now that they canceled Luke Cage and Iron Fist? I could be very excited for the next Jessica Jones and Punisher.  At least I hope they work out, because I can't go back to another underwhelming Jessica Jones, or a Punisher that felt like it didn't get unleashed.

« Reply #1458 on: October 22, 2018, 08:28:40 am »
I definitely felt that DD S3 was a return to form.  It was more engaging and consistent than S2, even if it never got quite as good as the individual highs there.  My current Netflix MCU Season rankings looks like this:

DD1 > JJ1 > P1 > DD3 > LC2 > IF2 > IF1 > DF1 > JJ2 > DD2 > LC1

DD2 and LC1 had problems with consistency, some episodes would be an A+ followed by some mess of D+ plot, and that inconsistency really hurts the overall enjoyment of them.  IF1, DF1, and JJ2 are all fine enough for what they are trying to do, there's just nothing special about any of them.  LC2 and IF2 are both massive step ups from their rookie seasons, where P1 and DD3 are solid the whole way through.  DD1 and JJ1 are in leagues all of their own, however.

The new Halloween is the best Michael Myers film since the 1978 original, and the second best Halloween film overall, if you aren't as hot on Season of the Witch as I am.

It manages to homage the original film, while bringing the style and sense of dread into the modern day.  I genuinely loved the first 2/3s of this movie.  However, there is a certain moment moving into Act 3 where I thought that the movie was going to go into an exciting new direction, and then swerved back into the expected plot.  As such, I was a bit lukewarm on the final act.  It's not bad, but it didn't gel for me like the first two acts did.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:45:43 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #1460 on: October 22, 2018, 09:46:45 pm »

Had a movie freebie, so figure I'd use it on Venom as the views were mixed on it, but a few people who I share interests with made it sound pretty fun and yeah, I dug this movie.  It's dumb, but it's entertaining, almost entirely due to Tom Hardy and Venom playing off each other.  By the end, it gets a visually rough as it's just two goo monsters fighting each other, but all the talk I heard that is like "Early 2000's Super Hero" movie bad is kinda wrong to me. 

I can sorta see what people are talking about, especially that it's a contained movie with no connections to a greater universe and it works as it's own thing, but this isn't Hulk from 2003 or any of the Fantastic Four films.  This might be the best Venom we could possibly get on film as it completely gives a middle finger to how shitty Venom was in Spider-Man 3.  I'm kinda hoping that since it is financially successful that they'll consider connecting it to the proper MCU for Spider-Man, but if they just want to continue on with Venom as his own thing, I think they could make it work for at least another movie, though they'd need more than just another symbiote for Venom to fight I feel.

« Reply #1461 on: October 30, 2018, 01:09:08 pm »
Friday the 13th 1-8.

A ton of fun to be had here, and the quality stays remarkably consistent.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1462 on: October 30, 2018, 01:35:38 pm »
Friday the 13th 1-8.

Love these movies! Just fun horror movies with lots of dumb teenagers, inventive kills, and boobs.

Except VII. The telekinetic girl just was too out there, even for Jason. Pulled me completely out of it.

wolfen

« Reply #1463 on: October 30, 2018, 05:30:21 pm »
I saw Spirited Away for the first time in at least 10+ years at the theater on Sunday with my sister. I cannot believe how beautiful the animation looks on the big screen. I felt like I wanted to touch the grass and tree bark, and I wanted to walk on the train tracks in the water. It felt so real, but also magical. If you've never seen Spirited Away you are truly missing out on one of the greatest pieces of animation of all time.

tripredacus

« Reply #1464 on: October 31, 2018, 10:23:35 am »
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Texas_Chainsaw_Massacre_(2003_film)

Perhaps the only Michael Bay movie without explosions.

« Reply #1465 on: November 01, 2018, 06:21:48 am »

Finally got around to watching the second season of Castlevania and while it's a mixed bag, I think Episode 7 makes up for all of it.  It might be one of the best episodes I've seen in quite awhile for a western animation, especially in what amounts to a tv shows/miniseries.  I don't even know a comparison right now...maybe the original Avatar: The Last Airbender series?  Anime influence, western writing, it feels very much like a mature, R-rated, version of that.  Like I've seen crazy action scenes in anime regularly over the years, even recently with My Hero Academia, Ufotables Fate series, My Hero Academia, but this feels more grounded.  It has its style and flash, but it feels more deliberate, very well choreographed, and even has some surprising emotional weight to it.  I could almost recommend this singular episode on its own.

That's the problem with the season, that while it has good writing, good visuals, and good characters, the middle of these episodes, like 3 to 5, drags because both the vampires and the heroes sorta just stop for awhile.  It's not bad at all, it just feels like they were unsure how to add some real good story to the whole thing that wasn't just background for both sides.  But damn, that episode.  It's basically the finale as Episode 8 is more an epilogue.  If you are a fan of Castlevania or just generally good animated shows, I think it's worth watching.  I'm glad it is getting a third season too.

Weird thing I noticed, but they gave some odd voice direction for Alucard and Trevor.  They almost always talk at just above a whisper.  Like they have a permanent hangover and talking any louder will make their heads explode.  Both of the voice actors are great, but man, not sure what is up with that.  Like when they need to emote, they can, but otherwise so subtle.  Very strange.

« Reply #1466 on: November 01, 2018, 09:07:24 am »
Friday the 13th 1-8.

Love these movies! Just fun horror movies with lots of dumb teenagers, inventive kills, and boobs.

Except VII. The telekinetic girl just was too out there, even for Jason. Pulled me completely out of it.

That's what is so great about the series!  There is so much different stuff going on that almost anyone kind find one that they like.

I have a co-worker who says VI is is favorite, a friend who loves VIII (which I think is the worst one).  This was my girlfriend's first time watching any of them, and she preferred the later entries like VII where stuff just started to get weird - and also why we stopped, 8 films of the same thing can get tiring.  And then you have the purists that don't like anything past The Final Chapter.

Personally, my favorite is Jason Goes to Hell, because it is just so gloriously insane, and even though A New Beginning doesn't actually have Jason, I like it a lot as well.

« Reply #1467 on: November 01, 2018, 12:31:03 pm »

It's been too long since I watched Blade, which I've considered to be my favorite vampire movie since first seeing it back in 1999 or. The last time I watched this movie was probably around 10-years ago so while I remember pretty much the whole movie there were certainly a few things that I forgot about, mostly how incredibly edgy and cheesy a lot of it was. This movie is still an awesome, classic 90s action/horror movie and Blade is a pretty cool character. Funny enough, I actually am not sure now whether I like Blade 2 or this more now; I rewatched Blade 2 about a year ago and thought it was better than I remembered. I feel like Blade 2 might actually have the better story but I can't get over how amazing the feel and originality of the first is. Definitely an awesome movie, just not sure if it's still my favorite vampire movie.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1468 on: November 01, 2018, 12:47:20 pm »
Friday the 13th 1-8.

That's what is so great about the series!  There is so much different stuff going on that almost anyone kind find one that they like.

I have a co-worker who says VI is is favorite, a friend who loves VIII (which I think is the worst one).  This was my girlfriend's first time watching any of them, and she preferred the later entries like VII where stuff just started to get weird - and also why we stopped, 8 films of the same thing can get tiring.  And then you have the purists that don't like anything past The Final Chapter.

Personally, my favorite is Jason Goes to Hell, because it is just so gloriously insane, and even though A New Beginning doesn't actually have Jason, I like it a lot as well.

New Beginning is like the best one, if you can get past the fact that it's a copycat killer. It has some of the best deaths in the series. Deborah Voorhees (her real name, ironically enough), is just magnificent looking and has the best topless scene of the series. And Ethel and her son are freaking hilarious, "You big dildo, eat yer fuckin’ slop!!"

I really like Part VIII, too. It just feels so 80s, there's even a hair metal music video kill. People get hung up that so much of the movie doesn't actually take place in Manhattan, meh, as long as there's Jason and cool kills, it's good. I mean hell, a guy gets his head punched off!

Jason Goes to Hell is one of the rougher ones in the series. It makes no sense at all. Jason hopping bodies and like it's The Faculty, The Necronomicon is involved, there's a cowboy bounty hunter...what? It's supposed to be a slasher, and it somehow becomes this supernatural thriller, with a cowboy bounty hunter.

The purists aren't wrong, though, the early entries are very damn good. Can't say I'm a purist because I do enjoy most of them in some way (except VII, again, only one I don't like at all). I really liked the remake, even, which many people hate.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:02:08 pm by burningdoom »

kypherion

« Reply #1469 on: November 01, 2018, 04:34:19 pm »

Watched this too. It was absolutely amazing. My 3 criticisms is that it feels too rushed, Death was nowhere to be found, and Dracula's true form was nowhere to be found either.

"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"