Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275829 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1635 on: June 11, 2019, 06:39:56 am »
Ma was good, but it was about 15 minutes too long, which really hurt the overall pacing.  Octavia Spencer was pretty incredible.  The most unfortunate thing about the movie was that the trailers gave pretty much everything away.  Still, worth a watch if you are a horror buff.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters deserves to be seen on the big screen.  I do think that Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island were both better films, but this one is not bad.  It just felt like it was missing the same sense of weight and scale that those two had.  It was also a bit choppy in places and had a couple of moments that had me scratching my head, but it was still a fun time.

« Reply #1636 on: June 11, 2019, 11:49:01 pm »

An interesting scifi movie  I like these types of smaller stories set in a singular location, stuff like 10 Cloverfield Lane, Moon, etc...It's nothing crazy, but there's a good little story here that kept me in it and was done real well.  The robot is pretty cool in design as I got turned onto this series through one of Adam Savage's videos as he visited Weta to check out the robot suit.  Gonna watch that now that I watched the movie.

« Reply #1637 on: June 13, 2019, 10:49:15 pm »

Free ticket time, so figured I'd go watch John Wick 3 as I love the series, but just wasn't sure if I wanted to see it in theater or not at the time.  I had heard they were already making a 4th film and I was wondering if they could really keep this series going for that long and if even the third movie could keep up the quality and level of intense action and damn do they.  They are constantly coming up with new scenarios to put him into and each one is uniquely visceral and the story keeps being engaging with them adding more layers to this secret assassin world.

I'm still pretty stoked for a 4th film after this.

« Reply #1638 on: June 16, 2019, 08:57:51 am »

Season 3 of Documentary Now! is easily the most ambitious yet, with Bill Hader only behind the camera this season, and Armisen only appearing the back half.  In their place there are some pretty heavy hitters like Michael Keaton, Cate Blanchet, and Michael C. Hall.  The first 4 episodes are pretty phenomenal, but it starts to lose a little steam in the back half.

« Reply #1639 on: June 26, 2019, 07:13:45 am »
Throwing out a big list again:

Jessica Jones Season 3
Better than S2, still not quite up to the quality of S1.  Still gonna miss the Netflix Marvel shows, even if they were inconsistent.

Barry Season 2
Quite frankly astonishing.  In just the season premiere I found myself unable to breathe from laughing and not 5 minutes later on the verge of tears after a monologue from Hader.  An amazing show.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
A great show, that managed to never be quite what I expected.  It was generally a lot more funny than I expected it to be, while still managing to be really engaging.

Tomb Raider
Meh.

Toy Story 4
How?  How does Pixar keep doing this?  4 isn't quite as good as the original trilogy, but is still really damned good.  I liked that it was a bit more a personal story for Woody this time.  Everyone else is just a supporting character - even Buzz.

End of Evangelion
Well that series disappeared up its own ass.

« Reply #1640 on: July 03, 2019, 09:16:47 am »

Legion Season 2, like so many other shows, was not quite as good as Season 1.  The first couple of episodes were absolutely phenomenal, but it just kept kind of spinning its wheels in the back half, even if there were some truly great moments found spread out in there.

Archer: Dreamland and Archer: Danger Island were both entertaining (I preferred Danger Island), but still found the show feeling like it was running out of ideas.  The new settings were fun, but as a whole something has been lacking with the series since Vice.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 12.  Like Archer, Always Sunny is still funny, but generally seems to be missing a lot of the punch of the earlier seasons.

« Reply #1641 on: July 08, 2019, 08:53:49 pm »

Season 3 of Stranger Things was umm...interesting. On one hand it was by far the most horror themed season by a mile, especially drawing heavily on movies like The Blob (the 80s version), From Beyond, and The Thing (again, the 80s remake). If you know anything about these movies you know how well known they are for their intense gore, which is definitely seen here. I personally was not a fan of this since over the top gore in movies is not really my thing, and also I miss the more scifi focused stories of the first two seasons. Going along with the horror theme, this season was definitely a lot more goofy and comical than previous seasons, at many times not taking itself too seriously, especially compared to season 1 and 2. Part of this was very fun, but it also was a bit disappointing since a lot of the tension drama was replaced by slapstick. The story and plot was interesting in cool, however season 3 has by far the weakest overall writing in the show's history with many plot holes, inconsistencies, and a pretty unsatisfying, and somewhat rushed ending. Essentially I found just as much to love about season 3 as I did to dislike. in the end it was an okay season, albeit disappointing compared to season 2, and especially season 1 despite having some excellent moments.

« Reply #1642 on: July 10, 2019, 07:20:38 am »
Long list time:

Stranger Things Season 3
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Wolf Warrior II
It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 13
Midsommar
Doctor Who Season 11

All pretty good!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:13:34 pm by Cartagia »

Flashback2012

« Reply #1643 on: July 10, 2019, 07:20:47 am »
Toy Story 4.

It was much better than I had anticipated. I managed to make it the whole movie without a restroom break but missed the after-after credits scene.

tripredacus

« Reply #1644 on: July 10, 2019, 10:15:43 am »
First UHD experience (albeit on 1080p)
Transformers: The Last Knight

Audio is better/louder? Picture is about the same, I think perhaps a different crop. But as noted I watched it in 1080p and not 4K.

« Reply #1645 on: July 11, 2019, 07:34:52 am »
I finished The Umbrella Academy Season 1 last night.  It's fine.  Kind of predictable, but I like the characters and the ideas.  I hope season 2 builds on it rather than regresses.

« Reply #1646 on: July 12, 2019, 12:39:33 am »
Watched a lot of stuff in the past month.

Spider-Man: Far From Home - Had a fun time with it.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Netflix Dub Series and all three Rebuild movies) - I think I generally prefer the Rebuild movies, but the series is still overall good even if it's start to fall apart in the last few episodes.
Stranger Things Season 3 - I think I may have liked this more than Season 2, but just in general it was a good watch.
American Gods - Didn't finish it, but I watched all of Season 1 and a few episodes of Season 2 before my trial ran out.  It was pretty solid and I liked the concept about how the gods origins.
7Seeds - A terrible anime series, don't watch it.

« Reply #1647 on: July 17, 2019, 06:58:44 am »
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Netflix Dub Series and all three Rebuild movies) - I think I generally prefer the Rebuild movies, but the series is still overall good even if it's start to fall apart in the last few episodes.
Yeah, this was my first time watching it and I found myself rolling my eyes at the last 2-3 episodes despite liking the show overall.

Crawl was way better than it had any right to be.  The performances are good, and the story doesn't try to be anything its not.  Also extremely well directed.  A pretty strong recommend if you like creature or disaster movies.

« Reply #1648 on: July 18, 2019, 09:16:32 am »
Watched Matrix again last night. It's funny to see these strange visual effects now  :D

« Reply #1649 on: July 28, 2019, 08:05:53 pm »

Shazam might be the only one of the new DC films I actually really like.  Aquaman was alright and Wonder Woman was okay, but Shazam was just fun.  It's very traditional in its execution, but it nails the idea of a kid who becomes a superhero and the whole finale was really well done and did something I wasn't really expecting, as I managed to keep from being spoiled on the film this whole time.  It even had a few moments that felt rather dark for what is a more family oriented film, with people dying in kinda nasty ways, just without blood lol

Highly recommend it though if you haven't seen it.

In other superhero related watching, I binged through The Boys, the opposite of Shazam and I mostly liked it.  I felt like it could've been abit more over the top ridiculous, like I feel it ends up playing things abit too serious, but it still has a lot of crazy moments, with very violent, bloody, deaths and superheroes being the worst kind of people imaginable.  I'm curious to see where they end up taking things in the second season.