Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280357 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1665 on: September 01, 2019, 10:16:37 pm »
The Night Comes for Us is an incredible martial arts film starring Iko Uwais and Joe Taslim (both of The Raid ).  I had mediocre expectations and it blew them away.  Big recommend here.

Ready or Not was a fun romp.  A little heavy on the shaky-cam, but a lot of fun!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 10:26:47 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #1666 on: September 03, 2019, 07:57:48 am »
Just watched the Steven Universe movie and overall, it's an okay time.  The animation gets really great dealing with Spinel who is handled in the old 30's cartoon rubber hose style and there's some very catchy songs.  The story is probably the most disappointing part of it, because it comes off as filler with no real impact on the story like I think most anyone who had been watching the series was expecting.

That said, any Steven Universe fan is probably going to be fine with it, just keep expectations low.

This is probably my favorite song of the movie too, though there's other fun ones like Disobedient and Independent Together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyNJQBCqd9A

« Reply #1667 on: September 06, 2019, 08:16:12 am »
I watched Unicorn Store last night.  It was odd, but charming.  It’s very strange that the worst performance I’ve seen Brie Larson give is in Captain Marvel.

« Reply #1668 on: September 06, 2019, 05:06:12 pm »
I watched Unicorn Store last night.  It was odd, but charming.  It’s very strange that the worst performance I’ve seen Brie Larson give is in Captain Marvel.

I didn't hate her in Captain Marvel, but she did give such a weird performance, where its like her and the director couldn't decide if they wanted her to be a stern soldier type or playfully cool, so it comes off very odd.

« Reply #1669 on: September 07, 2019, 01:05:24 am »

I didn't hate her in Captain Marvel, but she did give such a weird performance, where its like her and the director couldn't decide if they wanted her to be a stern soldier type or playfully cool, so it comes off very odd.
Right?!  Like, she wasn't bad in it, but it was very one-note, except when she didn't need to be for story purposes.  I think she was actually a little better in Endgame, which is weird because they shot that first.

I watched Always Be My Maybe tonight.  Solid enough RomCom that is pushed above average by a truly bizarre Act 2.

« Reply #1670 on: September 07, 2019, 03:31:01 am »
Just got back from IT: Chapter 2. It was really good.  I prefer the 1st from 2017.  But this was a worthy sequel. Although I didnt love the ending.  I just must admit.  Pennywise is simply a horrifying badass in everyway.  I think hes my favorite horror villain.:)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1671 on: September 08, 2019, 03:04:18 am »
Me and my girl went to see Angel has fallen lots of action it gets my recommendation.

« Reply #1672 on: September 08, 2019, 10:20:58 pm »
Repo Men was an ok action flick until it got really, really dumb in the third act.  Not really worth seeing, and is only notable because it was the first film from Miguel Sapochnik who went on to direct so really great episodes of Game of Thrones.

Good Time was a crime thriller I'd heard raves about, mostly based on the fact that Robert Pattinson was really good in it, and yeah... he's pretty damned phenomenal in it.  It's a good low key / low stakes story with a killer soundtrack.  You wanna see him stretch his range and do something impressive?  Watch this movie.

« Reply #1673 on: September 10, 2019, 07:54:09 am »
Watched a real dumb action / thriller called No One Lives.  It was decent concept about a group of thugs who “mess with the wrong guy”, but the acting outside of one two characters is terrible and was done no help by the terrible dialogue.  Gloriously stupid.

« Reply #1674 on: September 14, 2019, 09:26:44 pm »
Pleasantly surprised by It Chapter Two.  I wasn’t in love with the first film, so I went into this one with much lower expectations, which this managed to meet.  It’s not perfect, and has some pacing and structural issues - have these people never heard of cross-cutting?  Not as reliant as telegraphed jump scares as the first, but offset by some really strong performances.  Mike still sadly underserved, though.

tripredacus

« Reply #1675 on: September 16, 2019, 10:41:03 am »
Transmorphers: Fall of Man (DVD)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmorphers:_Fall_of_Man

Terrible.

« Reply #1676 on: September 21, 2019, 09:10:38 am »
Watched Hot Rod for the first time in a decade.  It has some really great individually funny moments, but as a movie it is pretty lacking.  It’s not surprising to see all the success Samberg, Hader, and McBride have had since.

« Reply #1677 on: September 22, 2019, 11:09:31 pm »
Went and saw Ad Astra today.  It’s gorgeous, well-acted and well-made, but it’s just a bit too ponderous, and the story isn’t nearly as deep as it thinks it is.  Still a very solid space flick.

« Reply #1678 on: September 28, 2019, 08:58:44 pm »
The Downton Abbey Movie was just two more hours of the show, which I was totally down for.  Some really great moments, Daisy is still the worst, Violet is the best, etc.

« Reply #1679 on: October 05, 2019, 08:07:31 pm »
Watched Joker and it was just alright.   Not a lot of the movie kept me engaged till the latter end of it.  Some scenes and parts were  genuinely good though and even got some laughs out of me for the dark humor of it, but I don't know, watching a mentally unstable man slip into further mental instability was more kinda sad and uncomfortable than being an interesting watch.  Phoenix was good for the part, that had to be a rough performance to do, and by the end I can see him as a good Joker (Way more than that terrible Suicide Squad Joker), but again, much the reason why I wasn't excited by this movie to begin with, it's just not the movie I want with a Joker.  Hopefully we'll get a proper new movie with a good Joker going against Batman eventually.