Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275751 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1725 on: January 08, 2020, 06:27:05 am »

Watched Seoul Station, which is an animated prequel to Train to Busan, a pretty great zombie flick set in South Korea.  It's CG animation, but I think it actually looks okay.  It's not high quality animation, but it's fairly smooth which I can say is more than what a lot of other anime does with their low framerate stuff going on.  I actually found the voice acting to be pretty great, it feels very...in world I guess I would say, not like its just done in a studio and not as stiff as some anime can feel, like they filmed it on location.  That said, they completely borked the punches and some attacks audio wise.  It's not all audio, most is fine, but like a zombie gets hit with a couple  pound ceramic lid from the back of a toilet and it sounds like they are hitting the zombie with a whiffle bat lol It doesn't ruin the film, but it shows up at a few spots and comes across kinda clumsy.

Generally thought the movie was fine.  It's dark, but it is zombie horror lol It also takes abit to get going, I sorta feel like they drug things out abit too long at spots, but once it gets going it does well enough.  It's standalone also, so you don't need to have seen Train to Busan to watch it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:33:28 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1726 on: January 11, 2020, 06:30:30 am »
Hellboy (2019)

It's not awful, but its not very good either.  Harbour is fine, but the makeup is pretty stiff and makes it tough to emote.  His two sidekicks (Daniel Dae Kim and Sasha Lane) are both pretty bad, though.  The creature design and practical effects are great, but the CGI ranges from ok to terrible.  Milla Jovovich isn't very good.  There are good moments, but it is bogged down in too much exposition and flashbacks.  Plus, the soundtrack is awful buttrock.

« Reply #1727 on: January 14, 2020, 10:29:40 pm »
I’m in the process of catching up on stuff I may have missed for awards season.

The Irishman
Little Women
Marriage Story
Dolemite is my Name
I Lost My Body
The Favourite
Parasite
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 09:04:01 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #1728 on: January 21, 2020, 04:42:16 am »

I had heard the movie didn't exactly turn out to be as good as the trailer let on, but felt like watching it anyways since it's free on Prime right now.  It ended up just being an okay film.  The problem was that the trailer made it out to be this more hardcore Nazi zombie horror movie, but it ended up not being a whole lot of that.  Like it's 60 to 70% a straight WW2 film, with the rest being kind of just Re-Animator, but it feels like such a small part of the film.

It sorta reminds me of Inglorious Bastards, where the trailer wasn't nearly what the actual movie was, being more of WW2 drama centered on this woman, rather than being some badass action flick with a Nazi killing crew.

Anyways, if you are just wanting a WW2 flick with a little extra weird in it, this movie is fine. I felt like if they had leaned harder into the horror part of it more, the movie would've been more notable.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:44:11 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1729 on: February 01, 2020, 02:11:35 am »

I went in with only the bit of trailer knowledge I had and what I felt was general talk of "It was alright", but then heard nothing more, so I didn't really have expectations for this movie in particular, especially after how bad I remember Genisys being, and with the state of certain scifi series nowadays with Predator and Aliens in the crapper, the bar is VERY low here.

Basically the movie is totally alright.  I have very little recollection of Genisys, but I remember not liking it and hated its marketing, which was stupid, so I didn't know what to get out of this new one, and I actually enjoyed it.  It's not amazing, it's dumb that they can't just do something new with Terminator that doesn't rely on the same plot stuff as before, but this might be the first one since Terminator 2 that I think is totally good and watchable, but I'm also someone that liked Salvation because it was trying to be something different.

Dark Fate actually comes across as sort of an amalgamation of all the past movies, though I feel like the overall plot feels sorta weird in their explanation of things as I'm not sure if it makes sense or if it's only meant to make sense if they continue on with another movie to explain it.  Like it has old Arnold that we saw in Genisys, we got the nanobot skin like in T3, we got what is basically a human Terminator from Salvation, it's set within the Terminator 2 timeline, and the new girl is just a new Sarah Connor basically, so it doesn't really come across as particularly new, just more of the same.

I did like it though, and when the last Predator was bad and so was the last Alien, at least the new Terminator is watchable lol

pzeke

« Reply #1730 on: February 04, 2020, 09:28:25 am »
I just watched "Life" for what I think is the eight time now. In my mind I still see it as a "Venom" prequel, but then I remember how bland that movie was and rejoice that it isn't. There's no need to tarnish such a great movie.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 09:57:09 am by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #1731 on: February 04, 2020, 10:20:14 am »
[...]
I did like it though, and when the last Predator was bad and so was the last Alien, at least the new Terminator is watchable lol

Exactly this.  It’s not great, but it is fine and watchable, while not being incredibly stupid, which is far more than you can say about those other two.

« Reply #1732 on: February 10, 2020, 12:22:57 pm »
Birds of Prey was fine.  Better than Suicide Squad, but not as good as Shazam

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1733 on: February 15, 2020, 01:24:23 am »
sonic the hedgehog... it was fun. The base plot was predictable, but I had a lot of fun watching it. The movie would not have worked with the original design they had and a lot of that is due to how expressive the redesign is. A lot of the jokes were funny and the cast was great. Only negative i can say is that they have Sonic do that fortnite floss dance. If I had to grade it right now 7.5/10 it's more about the trip than the destination. There is a mid-credits scene but nothing after all the credits end for those who want to know that kind of stuff.

« Reply #1734 on: February 15, 2020, 01:37:55 am »

Ever since the Sonic redesign I've been fairly excited for this movie, however when I started reading early reviews from fans of the film I began getting really hyped for it! I was literally giddy going into this movie, meanwhile I was trying to dampen my expectations since this is not only a movie based off a video game, but also a movie that was dramatically changed due to the initial backlash over Sonic's design, as well as the whole premise of a live action Sonic movie.

After watching the movie I can say that none of that excitement and hype went to waste, and somehow this movie ended up being even better than I thought it would be! I am going to fully admit that some of that has to do with my nearly lifelong love of Sonic, but looking at the movie for what it is, it was definitely the best use of the character in a live action film as you could possibly do. It perfectly captured the essence, personality, and feel of the Sonic character to a T. The same can be said for Jim Carry's portrayal of Dr. Robotnic. Speaking of Jim Carry, this was the most 90s I've seen Jim carry act since, well, the 90s. It was not only refreshing, but also sentimental in a way as it reminded me of roles he played like Ace Ventura, The Riddler, and The Grinch.

The movie's reverence for the 90s cannot be understated. While the Sonic movie takes place in modern times, the feel, plot, and story felt like a movie that was supposed to be made in 1995. For anyone who grew up with movies around that time you'll know exactly what I mean when you watch this film. The movie's very 90s feel certainly added not only to my enjoyment of it, but also to the authentic feel of this movie being about Sonic the Hedgehog, one of the most iconic video game characters from that decade.

Aside from all that, the movie was very cute and funny. I was laughing a lot during this movie, so much so that my face kind of hurt by the end and I felt almost exhausted from that and just smiling the whole time. The other actors in the film were great as well, as was a lot of the non-Sonic humor they integrated into it. This is certainly a movie that kids and adults, even if they have limited or no experience with anything related to Sonic can enjoy. And while I won't spoil it, the post credit scene was incredible! I literally blurted out a pronounced, "HOLY CRAP!" when I saw it.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Sonic the Hedgehog, so much so I plan on seeing it at least one more time while it's still in theaters. As a Sonic fan and just someone who generally enjoys lighthearted kids movies from the 90s, this was one of the best films I've seen over the last year, probably since Alita: Battle Angel was in theaters. this movie brought me so much joy and made me feel like an excited kid again watching one of my favorite video game characters in a fun, well done movie. I'm going to give this movie a solid 9/10; it may not be a masterpiece but is definitely one of the best, if not the best video game movie I've ever seen, and certainly a movie that did the character and source material justice.

« Reply #1735 on: February 15, 2020, 01:40:37 am »
sonic the hedgehog... it was fun. The base plot was predictable, but I had a lot of fun watching it. The movie would not have worked with the original design they had and a lot of that is due to how expressive the redesign is. A lot of the jokes were funny and the cast was great. Only negative i can say is that they have Sonic do that fortnite floss dance. If I had to grade it right now 7.5/10 it's more about the trip than the destination. There is a mid-credits scene but nothing after all the credits end for those who want to know that kind of stuff.

I absolutely agree with you about the old design; it deviated so much from the character that even if everything else was kept the same, that old design would have just been creepy and weird, and literally ruined every scene it was in. Luckily they did chance the Sonic character design, and it literally had the exact opposite effect of what the old design would have had. It literally saved this movie, and may even make this movie a huge success judging by the projected box office numbers it's supposed to have.

« Reply #1736 on: February 17, 2020, 07:55:25 am »

I absolutely agree with you about the old design; it deviated so much from the character that even if everything else was kept the same, that old design would have just been creepy and weird, and literally ruined every scene it was in. Luckily they did chance the Sonic character design, and it literally had the exact opposite effect of what the old design would have had. It literally saved this movie, and may even make this movie a huge success judging by the projected box office numbers it's supposed to have.

Yeah, some of those early scenes would have been terrifying with the old design.  Can you imagine that face peeking in your window? :o

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1737 on: February 17, 2020, 10:08:24 am »

Yeah, some of those early scenes would have been terrifying with the old design.  Can you imagine that face peeking in your window? :o

Funny you would say that.

tripredacus

« Reply #1738 on: February 17, 2020, 10:18:41 am »
The Chronicles of Riddick DVD
which apparently has an Xbox demo on the disc... so...
https://vgcollect.com/item/174650

« Reply #1739 on: February 17, 2020, 10:27:57 am »

Funny you would say that.

I’m going to assume you did not mean this the way I interpreted it...  :'(